A few dry start method questions

Joshaeus

Hi everyone! I have a few questions about the dry start method;

1 - What should the humidity be? 70-80%? I was going to keep the setup covered with plastic wrap (with a few holes poked in the wrap) and spray the plants once a day in the morning
2 - I most often hear of this method with carpeting plants, but can I use it for other plants that can grow emersed, such as stem plants and mosses? I was thinking that I could get the plantings denser in the month or two before flooding the tank, and this would also give the plants time to root and the beneficial bacteria time to establish before the tank is flooded - all of which would make submergence less stressful for the plants (and make the tank less likely to get overrun with algae).
3 - Speaking of mosses, should I spray them with a light nutrient solution when misting them (inasmuch as mosses do not develop roots that could exploit the dirt layer)?

Thanks

MrBryan723

80-100% is good for humidity.
Yes you can. That makes sense too.
I have no idea as far as the mosses, but i would lean towards yes. Just make sure it is dilute so you don't risk burning them with too many nutrients.

Understand that even with the dry start done correctly, you can and probably will face some melting once you submerge the leaves. Most amphibious plants have different leaf structures for immersed vs emersed, so they will try to shed them to grow more efficient ones.

Upvote 0

Joshaeus

80-100% is good for humidity.
Yes you can. That makes sense too.
I have no idea as far as the mosses, but i would lean towards yes. Just make sure it is dilute so you don't risk burning them with too many nutrients.

Understand that even with the dry start done correctly, you can and probably will face some melting once you submerge the leaves. Most amphibious plants have different leaf structures for immersed vs emersed, so they will try to shed them to grow more efficient ones.
Finally, a use for that humidity meter I have lying around! Yeah, I was not expecting no melting whatsoever...I was just thinking that if the plants are settled in and growing before the tank is flooded, the transition will likely be less stressful than if they were flooded immediately after being starved in a dark bag for several days. Plus, would give more time for the beneficial bacteria and the plants to eat the ammonia in the substrate (and thus minimize algae issues when flooding occurs).

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Your thinking is indeed correct. Just didn't want your expectations too high lol.

Upvote 0

Joshaeus

Here's a question...my dry start was going to use an inch of dirt under an inch of turface. Can you recommend a dirt brand that would work well?

EDIT: Also, would there be any benefit to cycling the soil for a month (basically a dry start sans plants) before adding the plants?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jeezusjuiicee
  • Question
Replies
Views
FrogLegged
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy