a feisty neon tetra?

fishnewb

Reaction score
ok, so i've got a 10 gallon tank with 3 dwarf rainbow fish (2 of adult size, one baby size) and 4 neon tetras.

i'm noticing this morning that one of the tetras has singled itself out and is hanging out with the rainbows, BUT ... he is pecking at the rainbows fins. feisty little bugger ... i'm a little worried though. is this normal? or did i just happen to come across an evil little fin eating tetra? sort of odd ... the rainbow is about 50 times his size!! you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feisty little guy!

It's usually noted that tetras like to be in a school of 6 or more. I'd suggest that maybe getting a couple more tetras might smooth things out, but I don't think you really have room. Dwarf rainbow fish have an adult size of 2.5 inches. 3 of those means 7.5 inches. Neon tetras can get to be 1.5 inches, so those 4 equal 6, which already puts you at 13.5 inches in a 10 gallon tank, assuming that your fish all reach their adult size. I wouldn't add anymore fish.

How big are all of your fish right now? I know you said two of those rainbow fish are adult-sized, but how big is the baby and the 4 tetras? I wonder if they feel overcrowded and are stressed.

You may want to try isolating the sassy neon for a little while, like giving him a time out. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of others who have had success with that method.

fishnewb

Reaction score
the two adult sized rainbows are about 2 inches in size, the smaller is about 1.5 or so. the neon tetras are very tiny, a little under an inch. i'm planning on buying a 29 gallon tank soon, before they outgrow the 10 gallon.

thanks for the advice!! i'm going to monitor them closely. they seem to be doing better now.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're going to upgrade them to a 29 gallon, then i'd go ahead and get a couple more tetras and see if it curbs the fin-nipping behavior that they commonly show when they're in smaller groups. The time-out sounds good too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom