A Farewell to Toby The Tiger

1. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

9Gaft6n.jpg

Earlier today, my Tiger Barb, Toby was caught up in a feeding frenzy with the other fish, somehow he was nipped hard, which destroyed his mouth. It looked so painful, and was very upsetting. Though he swam strong, and still tried to be his normal playful self. I could see it so clearly, how much pain he was in and how he strained.

Toby was one of those rare fish you get in your tank that have so much personality that you smile whenever you see him. He would come up to the glass when I got near and watch me as much as I watched him. I would then dangle a few blood worms in my hand and he would swim into my hand and eat them.

Toby was my pick when we bought fish, which is why he was dear to me. Such a vibrant and fun guy, I watched him in the tank he was kept and he really seemed happier than any fish I had seen. In our big tank, he had his favorite plant, and he would play peekaboo with me. The photo above was him playing that very same game.

After Toby's injury we moved him into a QT, and it was just him and I. I sat with him, watching him hover and watch me. I saw in his eyes, he was in pain. When I saw him getting weaker, I knew it was time to let him go.

His release from life was done as humane as possible. Using clove oil, and vodka. I couldn't do it, my wife had to as it was so hard for me.

All I can say is thank you Toby for giving me a smile, and being everything you could ever want in a pet. I will miss you deeply. Farewell my friend.

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry to hear you lost Toby :(

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry you lost him, he sounds like he was quite a character

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry. At least he is no longer in pain.

5. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

So sorry for your loss it sounds like you gave Toby the best care. I had a 5 year old black neon tetra who I had to sadly put down. She was one of those special fish like Toby. What Toby went through before he was put down sounds horribly painful. You made the right choice to put him out of his misery.

6. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear about the loss of Toby. I hope that time will allow you to remember the enjoyment you had by seeing Toby in the home you created for him.