A dwarf gourami and a Ram? Question

1. a_smith Initiate Member

I've been thinking about starting a new aquarium, and I really would like to get some Rams. My current community aquarium has a flame Dwarf gourami, and I would like to move him over to the new tank. So would the rams and the gourami have any problem with each other? Also, I have seen different size requirements for Rams, what size aquarium would best suit them?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you were going to keep a pair and a DG, I think a 29 is minimum. I keep my GBR pair with a pearl gourami pair in a 45. The only concern I have about the dwarf gourami is that they spend a lot more time near the bottom. It's not a combination I've done so I don't know.

If you decide on a 29, keep an eye out for a 35 - same footprint, just taller :)

3. kacie Member Member

Hi, I had a dwarf flame Gourami and it stressed a GBR to death in my 20g tank.

4. DRock914 Member Member

I have 2 Bolivian Rams that I kept a DG with. The only problem was the DG didn't stay alive long and got some disease. There were no problems at all with them being tank mates, I just can't keep DGs alive because they are very sensitive. I would say go for it.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If the DG didn't stay alive very long how do know there would be no problem?

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have 2 bolivian rams in a 35 gal with 1 angel and 1 flame dwarf gourami and they get along fine.

7. a_smith Initiate Member

Thanks a lot guys!

8. DRock914 Member Member

The DG got swim bladder but for the 2 weeks he was alive they got along and even schooled a lot together.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

2 weeks is long eenough to know if there is an initial intollerance, but is not long enough to know if the combination will work.