A dwarf gourami and a Ram? Question

1. a_smith

a_smith Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking about starting a new aquarium, and I really would like to get some Rams. My current community aquarium has a flame Dwarf gourami, and I would like to move him over to the new tank. So would the rams and the gourami have any problem with each other? Also, I have seen different size requirements for Rams, what size aquarium would best suit them?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +236
    If you were going to keep a pair and a DG, I think a 29 is minimum. I keep my GBR pair with a pearl gourami pair in a 45. The only concern I have about the dwarf gourami is that they spend a lot more time near the bottom. It's not a combination I've done so I don't know.

If you decide on a 29, keep an eye out for a 35 - same footprint, just taller :)

3. kacie

kacie Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I had a dwarf flame Gourami and it stressed a GBR to death in my 20g tank.

4. DRock914

DRock914 Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have 2 Bolivian Rams that I kept a DG with. The only problem was the DG didn't stay alive long and got some disease. There were no problems at all with them being tank mates, I just can't keep DGs alive because they are very sensitive. I would say go for it.

5. Jaysee

Ratings:
    +236
    If the DG didn't stay alive very long how do know there would be no problem?

6. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have 2 bolivian rams in a 35 gal with 1 angel and 1 flame dwarf gourami and they get along fine.

7. OP
    OP
    a_smith

a_smith Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys!

8. DRock914

DRock914 Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The DG got swim bladder but for the 2 weeks he was alive they got along and even schooled a lot together.

9. Jaysee

Ratings:
    +236
    2 weeks is long eenough to know if there is an initial intollerance, but is not long enough to know if the combination will work.