A Dilemma

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Well, I have a dilemma! Why? Because a quarantine tank is always necessary to be ready in case something happens. So I do have that quarantine tank. I keep 6 neons in there to keep it cycled. Of course filter, heater, etc ... are all running. I use that tank mainly for my angelfish spawning. (I hope I won't ever have to use it for fish diseases.) Now, here is the problem. I have green-brownish algae growing in my quarantine tank. So I want to buy a couple of otos to keep the tank clean. And neons will go to my 30 gallon tank to join their neon school. BUT - my angels breed about every month. I transfer them from my 30G for a couple of days to my Q tank every time they breed. Once I get otos, I don't want to be removing them to the other tank every time my angels spawn because otos are quite delicate and by moving them every month they'd eventually get sick. Will these otos interfere with angelfish spawning if I keep them in my Q tank together with angels during spawining times? Will the otos eat the eggs? If I don't get them, my tank will soon be overrun by algae. And at the same time, it is my only Q tank. What do I do? Anyone? :-\

2. beccaboo254 Initiate Member

What about getting an Apple Snail or some amano shrimp instead? The shrimp might bother the fry, but I doubt the snail would.

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about the otos bothering your angel's eggs. I don't think they would, but maybe butterfly can shed some light on this issue. ;)

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard rare reports of an Oto eating a fish egg; however, generally, Otos are strictly vegetarian and would never eat anything besides algae and veges. And I don't think a tiny Oto could really do anything to 'bother' the eggs.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

No the otos won't even eat snail eggs :( So I think the angel eggs are safe. And they won't bother your fry either :D
    Carol

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks all !!! ;D Now I can take a breath ;D

I'm glad I won't have to worry about the eggs/fry and constantly relocating the otos. They may have the otos at my pet store today. I'm going to go and check later during the day. I hope they'll have them!

And ... because the otos are loaches/algae eaters, they obviously suck on surfaces in search of food and algae. Do you think they may suck on the eggs (as on any other surface in the tank)? Can the eggs be damaged when they suck on them?

Sorry for all these questions ... I always wanna get everything right, lol.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Don't apologize for being careful ;) Otos clean plants,the glass, and your tank decor but I don't think eggs/fry are in any danger at all.
    Carol