A difficult question - cory catfish

• Thread starter Pfrozen
  • Start date

Pfrozen

Well Known
Hello

I accidentally bought a mislabeled emerald cory for my 10g tank. It's a 30g fish. I asked about my options here before and rehoming was a top suggestion. I'm fully prepared to do that, BUT I want to ask an unorthodox question first. I'm not saying that I will do this.. I'm asking for advice because you guys have helped me immensely.

If I add another 10g HOB filter to my tank to double the filtration and swap the fake plants out with suitable live plants (anubias), and I concentrate on making my tank perfectly suitable for the Corys, will I be able to have 3 in there safely? Or will the lack of space still stress them out way too much?

For clarification, returning this fish is not an option. I would have to rehome if the above solution isn't valid. My local petsmart has maybe 20 small tanks running into each other with some having 6-12 dead and rotting fish in them. It's horrible and I can't expect someone to come along and buy him right away because I live in Northern Canada. For example, the rasboras I purchased were there for several weeks and very diseased by the time I picked them up.

Thanks

Best Answer - View deadhead's answer

AquaticQueen

Well Known
What is the tank's current stock? If there is no corys in there already, than yes it would work with the added filtration. Corys do need to be kept in groups of 6+ so I would try to get 6.

Pfrozen

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
What is the tank's current stock? If there is no corys in there already, than yes it would work with the added filtration. Corys do need to be kept in groups of 6+ so I would try to get 6.
Right now it's just 1 Harlequin rasbora, the cory, and 2 shrimp. I need to get 4 more rasboras at minimum to make a school. I had more but they were pretty sick when I bought them, only the king rasbora survived :(

GingerV513

If you stepped up the water changes it might be ok. My 10 gallon is way over stocked but super planted so the parameters stay 0

Pfrozen

Well Known
GingerV513 said:
If you stepped up the water changes it might be ok. My 10 gallon is way over stocked but super planted so the parameters stay 0
I don't mind doing this at all, I already do water changes very frequently

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Pfrozen said:
Right now it's just 1 Harlequin rasbora, the cory, and 2 shrimp. I need to get 4 more rasboras at minimum to make a school. I had more but they were pretty sick when I bought them, only the king rasbora survived :(
Oh no! I misread your original post. I would rehome the cory because they cannot be kept in 10 gallons. I would add the extra rasboras and maybe a couple more shrimp but that's it.

Pfrozen

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
Oh no! I misread your original post. I would rehome the cory because they cannot be kept in 10 gallons. I would add the extra rasboras and maybe a couple more shrimp but that's it.
I figured as much. Thanks for the input! I'm open to hearing from others as well but pretty sure it won't work

deadhead

Since your okay with adding a 10 gallon sump, is a larger tank out of the question? If you need to rehome, aren't there any privately owned LFS in your area? Most will take your fish as long as it's something they know they can move to another customer.

Pfrozen

Well Known
deadhead said:
Since your okay with adding a 10 gallon sump, is a larger tank out of the question? If you need to rehome, aren't there any privately owned LFS in your area? Most will take your fish as long as it's something they know they can move to another customer.
Maybe, I never thought about contacting a different store. That's a pretty good idea. For the tank it's more about cost, an extra filter is 15 dollars and a bigger tank is super expensive haha. For some reason tanks are really pricey up here, maybe something to do with shipping. Thanks for the idea!

deadhead

Where's up here? Just contact a local, privately run store and explain your situation. I'd keep that cory at least 10 days. There's something about corys. They aren't that hard to keep but they seem to have a horrible time adjusting to a new aquarium. 3 different tanks in a short period of time could be too much.

Pfrozen

Well Known
deadhead said:
Where's up here? Just contact a local, privately run store and explain your situation. I'd keep that cory at least 10 days. There's something about corys. They aren't that hard to keep but they seem to have a horrible time adjusting to a new aquarium. 3 different tanks in a short period of time could be too much.
Hey, I found him a home at a privately owned LFS like you suggested. Thanks for the help. I bring him in tomorrow afternoon. Sad to see him go but it's for the best! And yea, I've had him at least 10 days now :)

Top Bottom