A deep sand bed: yes or no? My first saltwater tank

Featherfin

I'm about to order my rock and sand... but can't decide on if I want to make a deep sand bed or not. I really love the sound of it, with all the bacteria and all, but there are also a lot of mixed reviews on it. What do you guys think? Does anyone on here have one?

Basically I'm just concerned about it down the road... if I have an accident and disturb the sand bed then it crashes... it would be devastating to lose everything if the sand bed crashes. :s

If I don't do a deep sand bed, do you think 40 pounds is enough for my 36g and a 10 gallon (in case I get a quarantine tank)? It only comes in 40lb bags so I don't really want 80lbs lol

JessiNoel21

I'm about to order my rock and sand... but can't decide on if I want to make a deep sand bed or not. I really love the sound of it, with all the bacteria and all, but there are also a lot of mixed reviews on it. What do you guys think? Does anyone on here have one?

Basically I'm just concerned about it down the road... if I have an accident and disturb the sand bed then it crashes... it would be devastating to lose everything if the sand bed crashes. :s

If I don't do a deep sand bed, do you think 40 pounds is enough for my 36g and a 10 gallon (in case I get a quarantine tank)? It only comes in 40lb bags so I don't really want 80lbs lol

I have a deep and so far all is well. I also poke it every Monday when I clean so I have no gas build up.

lllllblader

I have a deep and so far all is well. I also poke it every Monday when I clean so I have no gas build up.
Agreed.

Featherfin

Ok, so I'll be making it deep then I'll just poke it (like I do with my freshwater ones anyway) I really like the benefits of them and the more I think about it the better of an idea it seems

ryanr

One thing to consider when choosing between a deep or shallow sand-bed.

Deep is generally considered to be 4" deep as a minimum, preferably 6"+. Some people often think that it takes up too much of their display space.

Are you looking to keep sand sifters? (gobies, sea cucumbers) - If so, have a very careful think about how you'll position your rockwork. Many aquarists will use eggcrate on the bottom, place the rock work (or the first layer or two), then pour the sand in around the rock. This helps prevent an avalanche in the event that a sifter gets under your rock work.

Deep sandbeds are great, but they take a long long time to establish. Rather than requiring constant poking, snails (ceriths, nassas) and sea cucumbers will keep the sand bed turning over. Just a thought....

Oh, and I have a shallow bed in my reef (about 2")

Featherfin

One thing to consider when choosing between a deep or shallow sand-bed.

Deep is generally considered to be 4" deep as a minimum, preferably 6"+. Some people often think that it takes up too much of their display space.

Are you looking to keep sand sifters? (gobies, sea cucumbers) - If so, have a very careful think about how you'll position your rockwork. Many aquarists will use eggcrate on the bottom, place the rock work (or the first layer or two), then pour the sand in around the rock. This helps prevent an avalanche in the event that a sifter gets under your rock work.

Deep sandbeds are great, but they take a long long time to establish. Rather than requiring constant poking, snails (ceriths, nassas) and sea cucumbers will keep the sand bed turning over. Just a thought....

Oh, and I have a shallow bed in my reef (about 2")

That's what I was thinking... and as for livestock I have no idea what I want lol I'm trying not to think about that yet, but I'll probably end up with a goby in there.

I'll really have to think about it... I can't decide if the benefits of it outweigh the look.

JessiNoel21

That is what I did I put egg crate than my rock work than put my sand in.

Featherfin

I'll use eggcrate

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
ryanr