A Death In My Sorority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm feeling very guilty right now, distressed, and distraught.. A fish in my betta sorority had gone missing.. 10 gallon tank lots of hiding places... Water perimeters normal. But the fish is just gone. Did the other 4 eat her? They're all baby bettas. I wasn't home for a few days and my house mate was feeding them I have very specific instructions on how to feed them... Could they have ate her? Also should I get another to add in? I've only had this sorority for almost a month.

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm feeling very guilty right now, distressed, and distraught.. A fish in my betta sorority had gone missing.. 10 gallon tank lots of hiding places... Water perimeters normal. But the fish is just gone. Did the other 4 eat her? They're all baby bettas. I wasn't home for a few days and my house mate was feeding them I have very specific instructions on how to feed them... Could they have ate her?
Hello - is there a lid? You would be surprised how often bettas jump. You would also be amazed at the hiding places bettas can find. I thought one of my own was missing but he was really resting in the middle of one of my big plants.

Just so you know - betta sororities are often best in a 20+ gal tank. A ten gallon can get crowded real fast. As they are young right now, I think it is fine. But in the future I would look into upgrading. It will open up a lot more opportunities as a fish keeper as well. Good luck

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
More likely she jumped out OR is inside the filter (or just hiding really well). I had a Betta jump once and I never found him.

OP
Geena

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello - is there a lid? You would be surprised how often bettas jump. Just so you know - betta sororities are often best in a 20+ gal tank. A ten gallon can get crowded real fast. As they are young right now, I think it is fine. But in the future I would look into upgrading. It will open up a lot more opportunities as a fish keeper as well. Good luck
Thank you, yes I do plan to upgrade them to a 20 gallon but the are pretty small right now. I do have a lid.

Tank for reference

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you check around the tank? Bettas are jumpers and I've had them jump on me 3 different times with only one casualty. Who would of thought a betta would jump through the little hole meant for feeding? Look around just in case.

When a fish is sick in a betta sorority the other females will bully and kill the sick one. That's just what they do. I've had it happen more times than I care to admit, a fish starts acting a little strange and by the time I notice it's too late. They will also pick at a dead fish but I've never actually had an entire body get eaten. In a 10gal you should be able to find a dead fish pretty easily. I'd double check the tank, take the decor out and might as well do a water change while you're at it because you will likely stir up some gunk.

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check in and around the filter as thoroughly as possible. I don't think it's likely that the other bettas ate her, because their mouths are very, very small, as I'm sure you know. I had a pearlscale goldfish hide next to the filter and I couldn't find him for several hours. Good luck! Also, don't feel guilty. Fish are tiny, and it's really hard to keep track of them in a tank full of decorations. Even if you don't find her, it's not your fault.

Indar Chanicka

Reaction score
Definitely check your filter, not sure how large the gaps in the filter strainer is, but if it didn't jump out, there's a strong chance it could be in there....

OP
Geena

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
More likely she jumped out OR is inside the filter (or just hiding really well). I had a Betta jump once and I never found him.
Not in the filter and I have a cover

I also cleaned the tank and moved everything so Im concerned that they ate her and also wondering if she was sick and now my whole sorority is done for

Indar Chanicka

Reaction score
hmmmm.... are they showing any signs of sickness, white spots (ich), fin rot, lethargic? If they are eating, that's definitely a positive sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom