A Day That Will Never Be Forgotten

HORNET1
Today is the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, a moment that, along with the assassination of John F. Kennedy, I will never forget where I was or what I was doing. Let us remember that moment, and the thousands that were killed and maimed as well as the heroic actions of our first responders to the horrific events of that bright September day in New York City.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2Fag7zl-ukg4fjA8GrzZzd71moWW56L5cQEUl0OTvQoe1607U4A.jpg

Dawn Michele
God Bless the people who lost their lives that day and their families. We will NEVER forget them!!!

Ohio Mark
I often wish someone would do an "update" on how the families of those who lost their lives are doing... This has got to be a difficult day for them.

WTFish?
Well said.

Fanatic
I forgot today was today!

goldface
Yes, I remember that day well. I was in 6th grade. Class was in the computer lab. It was just another day, until another teacher comes in and disrupts it. Our teacher looked shocked and then turns on the T.V. We watched it happen live.

max h
The action of the few individuals that caused the events that day had far reaching consequences then they would ever know. The individuals and first responder's who lost their lives that day should never be forgotten. The indirect effect of that day has impacted all of us in one form or another. It ended up costing me my marriage, my wife at that time couldn't handle the fact that my Marine Corps unit was on a 24 hr alert for deployment, where that I can't say. But she told me when I informed her about it, that she would not be at the house when I returned.

Fashooga
Man I remember that day, I just woke up around 930am (miss those days) and turned on the TV to watch the stock market and saw what was going on...felt like the longest day.

wolfdog01
Although I don't personally remember the day because I was very young, when I asked about years later my family sat down with me and we watched clips of it. I was really scared. Then in my senior year of high school, we watched a documentary about and it amazed me how disrespectful some of the people were. Some said they already seen it, other kids fell asleep. I know one person said it was boring. A few of us stood up against those people and explained why this was so important, I still don't think they cared.
When I went to college today I wore a patriotic shirt, it's not much but I want to show SOME respect to those who lost their lives.

max h
It just amazes me how much History has been erased due to the person/people writing it decided that it didn't fit their agenda.

coralbandit
I am old and still dissatisfied . I can't help but watch discovery channel every year.
It is horrible and we should never forget it .

Rtessy
The action of the few individuals that caused the events that day had far reaching consequences then they would ever know. The individuals and first responder's who lost their lives that day should never be forgotten. The indirect effect of that day has impacted all of us in one form or another. It ended up costing me my marriage, my wife at that time couldn't handle the fact that my Marine Corps unit was on a 24 hr alert for deployment, where that I can't say. But she told me when I informed her about it, that she would not be at the house when I returned.
Wow, I'm so sorry! Thank you so much for your service, I'm sorry that it cost you so much. Wow, I just don't know what to say, my condolences

Discus-Tang
Though today is September 12 for me, my condolences are with all people affected by the attacks. I don't remember it as I was 3 years old, but still, it was a catastrophic chain of events I think it's about time that America (and other countries) acknowledge the terrible things they do & support in the Middle East as well.

max h
Wow, I'm so sorry! Thank you so much for your service, I'm sorry that it cost you so much. Wow, I just don't know what to say, my condolences

Thanks, funny thing she knew what she was getting into before we got married. Then at that magical 10 yr mark couldn't handle it. Normally the military see's it if you where married 10 years and go divorced and then retired the ex is entitled to half of your retirement.

Dawn Michele

max h
Dawn Michele
They only showed that commercial a couple of times.
They only showed it once because they didn't want to benefit financially from it. I think its an INCREDIBLE commercial!!!

max h
They only showed it once because they didn't want to benefit financially from it. I think its an INCREDIBLE commercial!!!

I is incredible, and you're right they only showed it once on TV. I've seen it several on social media. The old AB corporation made a lot of once shown commercials, I'm not to sure now that they where bought out by a big conglomerate these days.

Dawn Michele
I is incredible, and you're right they only showed it once on TV. I've seen it several on social media. The old AB corporation made a lot of once shown commercials, I'm not to sure now that they where bought out by a big conglomerate these days.
I LOVE when they bow at the end!!! You have to shed a tear for that!!!

HORNET1
Although I don't personally remember the day because I was very young, when I asked about years later my family sat down with me and we watched clips of it. I was really scared. Then in my senior year of high school, we watched a documentary about and it amazed me how disrespectful some of the people were. Some said they already seen it, other kids fell asleep. I know one person said it was boring. A few of us stood up against those people and explained why this was so important, I still don't think they cared.
When I went to college today I wore a patriotic shirt, it's not much but I want to show SOME respect to those who lost their lives.
Thank you for your show of respect.
"Not remembering should never be confused with forgetting."

wolfdog01
Thank you for your show of respect.
"Not remembering should never be confused with forgetting."
As a matter of fact, I am actually watching videos about the attack right now. Mainly news stations about the breaking news and hearing eye witness accounts.
Even if you weren't born in that time period, it's still such a major part of our history that people should learn about it and show respect.

It completely blew over my head to think that people would take selfies at the memorial park. But I guess it makes sense with some of the younger people, it's more of a trophy that you went there rather than a time of remembrance. I personally would love to visit it, not because I would want any fancy pictures or anything, but just to place flowers, get down on my knees and pray for the people who survived, just doing something for what happened.

Smalltownfishfriend
I was so young I only have vague memories. I do know my grandpa was in NYC when it happened and the family was on pins and needles until he got word saying he was safe. I love how everyone pulled together after it happened. I don't remember it but I will never forget it. I read books about it and have visited the museum. It is so sobering and awe inspiring. I pray to the good Lord we will never have anything like that happen to us again.

CanadianFishFan
I may be in Canada and born after it but have seen so much. Very sad glad to see someone made a thread. I was going to make twin towers out of some small river rocks for a photo in my fish tanks.

BigManAquatics
I remember it was about 0100 or 0200 on the 12th where I was(Okinawa). I was night crew, but we didn't have to go into work as we were stuck in a typhoon and all our planes were off in the Phillipines. I was jamming out to some KISS on my guitar when the barracks duty knocked on my door. Being right next to the duty desk, I thought I was perhaps playing a bit too loud. He came in and said "a plane just flew into the pentagon and WTC". A rather colorful list of obscenities spewed from my mouth then I started listening to a radio broadcast. Shortly after, started watching the TV reports. We started watching a minute or two before we saw the 2nd plane....

max h
I remember it was about 0100 or 0200 on the 12th where I was(Okinawa). I was night crew, but we didn't have to go into work as we were stuck in a typhoon and all our planes were off in the Phillipines. I was jamming out to some KISS on my guitar when the barracks duty knocked on my door. Being right next to the duty desk, I thought I was perhaps playing a bit too loud. He came in and said "a plane just flew into the pentagon and WTC". A rather colorful list of obscenities spewed from my mouth then I started listening to a radio broadcast. Shortly after, started watching the TV reports. We started watching a minute or two before we saw the 2nd plane....

That was a long day for all of us in the sevice, no matter what branch you where in. I was attached to the 1st MAW in KBay at the time.

Kalyke
I had the day off because I had a job where I had Monday and Tuesday off. (9/11/01 was on a Tuesday). My father was in Texas and had gone in for a heart procedure I suppose it was Monday. He woke up on Tuesday. I was in Omaha, NE. I went to the post office that morning, and the place was like a morgue, and the TV was on. I did not have a TV at home. I looked up, and saw in horror the events happening on the screen. It was probably a repeat of the attack because the post office did not open till 9:00 a.m. and the events happened in an earlier time zone.

The thing is that my Father's family all live in Brooklyn. I went home, trying to find anything on the internet. I got a call a little later from the hospital. A nurse told me my father was freaking out because he believed all my family was being killed in Brooklyn. The fact is that my Cousin Bill worked in the maintenance department in the World Trade Center. Many of my cousins on my father's side had worked there, and of course, one cousin was married to a fireman who went to the WTC as a first responder. I did not know him, but he died in the collapse. My father's orders were to find his family (assess the damage).

I spent all day trying to get through to New York but all the phones were down. That was the worst part. Total silence-- no one could get in or out for at least 2 days.

I did the regular-- told him everything was going to be okay (etc.) About 2 days later my Aunt called me to tell me the news, and about the death of the fireman. I guess no one else was killed.

Anyway, my immediate family did not suffer because we lived out in the "country," places like Denver, and Seattle, but my Father's family really took a hit. That's what I did on 9/11.

86 ssinit
I was working on 53st on the west side. New high rise going up listening to Howard Stern when he said a plane had hit the trade center. Went to the roof and saw the tower burning. Watched in disbelief as the second plane hit. Saw the first tower fall and got involved with 5he mass exodus of Manhattan. Going over the 59st bridge the senond tower fell and downtown was covered in dust that crossed the east river and went into Brooklyn. Things I’ll never forget. Lost childhood friends,neighbors and 17 members of my union. Sad time in New York. But it didn’t stop us we came right back and rebuilt.

Redshark1
I was in the LFS.

86 ssinit

BA6AC6BF-38FF-4C46-8517-593FB97F57B2.jpeg A picture from today

86 ssinit
Midtown 33st Hudson yards.

Discus-Tang
goldface
Double post.
Manhattan. I go by that area quite often. There’s a fish store and a gym close by that I go to.

CowBoYReX
I was in Marine Corps ninja training, actually sleeping on the floor along with a few others. Our instructor was late that day. The first plane hit and people that weren't sleeping were watching tv, they woke us up and we watched. I thought well that is tragic, and then went back to sleep. Minutes later we were woken up again...at that moment we knew **** had hit the fan. We all began discussing what we thought was going on. Then, the third plane went down we all thought we were going to war. Started calling home, I told my mom I loved her and that we were probably going soon. 4 months later we packed and flew 15 hrs to Kuwait. A month after that we crossed the Iraq border and charged all the way to bahgdad.

HORNET1
I was in Marine Corps ninja training, actually sleeping on the floor along with a few others. Our instructor was late that day. The first plane hit and people that weren't sleeping were watching tv, they woke us up and we watched. I thought well that is tragic, and then went back to sleep. Minutes later we were woken up again...at that moment we knew had hit the fan. We all began discussing what we thought was going on. Then, the third plane went down we all thought we were going to war. Started calling home, I told my mom I loved her and that we were probably going soon. 4 months later we packed and flew 15 hrs to Kuwait. A month after that we crossed the Iraq border and charged all the way to bahgdad.
OORAH !!!

86 ssinit
Manhattan. I go by that area quite often. There’s a fish store and a gym close by that I go to.
Manhattan aquatics. Was there for the first time a few weeks ago. Bit of a let down.

goldface
Manhattan aquatics. Was there for the first time a few weeks ago. Bit of a let down.
If you haven’t already check out Pacific Aquarium and Plants and Monster Aquarium. You won’t be dissappointed. Manhattan Aquarium is nice and all, but they mostly specialize in saltwater.

86 ssinit
Sorry just went to monster aquarium in queens by main st. Again a Huge let down. All the hype top 5 in trI state. One floor maybe a hundred 10gal tanks. Dead fish super clear water. No plants. Ever go to fish town or pets warehouse?

goldface
Sorry just went to monster aquarium in queens by main st. Again a Huge let down. All the hype top 5 in trI state. One floor maybe a hundred 10gal tanks. Dead fish super clear water. No plants. Ever go to fish town or pets warehouse?
If you want a nice selection of plants then Pacific Aquarium and Plants is a must see. They also have beautifully scaped tanks. But I don't know; you might be difficult to please, lol.

I've heard of Fishtown, but I never been. Never even heard of Pets Warehouse.

FergusDaFish
It completely blew over my head to think that people would take selfies at the memorial park. But I guess it makes sense with some of the younger people, it's more of a trophy that you went there rather than a time of remembrance.

My mom and I went to New York a few years ago and were the only Americans on a walking tour that went through Ground Zero. I'm not a very emotional person but it was all I could do to not cry the whole time I was there. The only more emotional thing I've ever experienced was my cancer diagnosis.

Top Bottom