A Day At One Of Our Wholesalers...

emeraldking

Member
In March I've been to one of our wholesalers of live ornamental fish and was allowed to make some pictures and vids. Sorry for not the best quality but I wasn't prepared that day. I was just visiting a fellow breeder and he decided that we'd go to this wholesaler.
Enjoy the tour...!
 

Iverg1

Member
Wow wish I had that many tanks! If I did they would all be filled with bettas and nerites (and maybe some other easy fish)
 
  • Thread Starter

emeraldking

Member
Iverg1 said:
Wow wish I had that many tanks! If I did they would all be filled with bettas and nerites (and maybe some other easy fish)
It's impressive to have that many tanks but don't envy the electrical bill that comes with it...
 

Pescado_Verde

Member
Does the wholesaler specialize in any particular varieties?
 
  • Thread Starter

emeraldking

Member
Pescado_Verde said:
Does the wholesaler specialize in any particular varieties?
No, not particularly. But occasionally they do offer rare fish. That could be wildcaught fish or fancy strains from the higher segment (show quality).
 

Pescado_Verde

Member
emeraldking said:
No, not particularly. But occasionally they do offer rare fish. That could be wildcaught fish or fancy strains from the higher segment (show quality).
That's the sort of place I could spend much time at, asking questions and trying to wrap my head around how they manage it all without making mistakes.

There is a fishbreeder who lives a couple of hours away from me and I'd love to go spend a few days there just to observe and learn. He did specialize in Molly fish but 2 years ago we had Hurricane Harvey come thru Texas and it wrecked his facility pretty badly. He is slowly rebuilding but several of the lines that he had developed himself were lost.

Not the same as a wholesale operation but still would be interesting, to me at least.

What, if anything, stood out to you from your tour?
 
  • Thread Starter

emeraldking

Member
Well, it was more the livebearer section that stood out to me. For sure, every single bit was interesting but I'm a true livebearer passionate.
But I had to correct certain names. For also this wholesaler had changed certain names to make those fish commercialwise more appealing. I've told some employees to be careful by labeling fish differently. That may cause confusion. For instance: rainbow endler. Certain hybrids are called like that by people and wholesalers but officially there's already a rainbow endler which is a wild strain on the market.
 

Pescado_Verde

Member
emeraldking said:
Well, it was more the livebearer section that stood out to me. For sure, every single bit was interesting but I'm a true livebearer passionate.
But I had to correct certain names. For also this wholesaler had changed certain names to make those fish commercialwise more appealing. I've told some employees to be careful by labeling fish differently. That may cause confusion. For instance: rainbow endler. Certain hybrids are called like that by people and wholesalers but officially there's already a rainbow endler which is a wild strain on the market.
Livebearers do not seem to have much appreciation here locally and I'm close to 2 hours away from the nearest large cities - Austin or Dallas - I'm right halfway in between both of them.

Charles Clapsaddle is the breeders name and he is also the owner of Goliad Farms, it's more in South Texas. There is a population of Sailfin Mollies near where his operation is, though they're not native. They were first reported many years ago though and have established populations in a couple of inland rivers. His operation was in New Mexico but after discovering the Sailfin population here he moved to Texas to be closer to a source for wild specimens to breed from.

I've exchanged messages with his wife on FaceBook and she told me this spring (going on 2 years after the hurricane) that they lost all 4 strains of Poecilia velifera that they had.
 
  • Thread Starter

emeraldking

Member
Pescado_Verde said:
Livebearers do not seem to have much appreciation here locally and I'm close to 2 hours away from the nearest large cities - Austin or Dallas - I'm right halfway in between both of them.

Charles Clapsaddle is the breeders name and he is also the owner of Goliad Farms, it's more in South Texas. There is a population of Sailfin Mollies near where his operation is, though they're not native. They were first reported many years ago though and have established populations in a couple of inland rivers. His operation was in New Mexico but after discovering the Sailfin population here he moved to Texas to be closer to a source for wild specimens to breed from.

I've exchanged messages with his wife on FaceBook and she told me this spring (going on 2 years after the hurricane) that they lost all 4 strains of Poecilia velifera that they had.
Yes, I'm familiar with his name on facebook. Well, before I used my own name as an Fb acount, I used my website's name. But that account had problems in a sudden. And if I'm right, Charles Clapsaddle has been on that Fb account as being an Fb friend as well.

Because I couldn't get acces to that specific account of mine, I made another account with my own name. Somebody who hated my guts reported me as not being trustworthy. Just a mean thing of that person for he hates everyone who doesn't wanna cooperate with him. This specific person is such a person who doesn't have the correct background in vivaristic but wants to make a big name in no time for the money. Unfortunately also within the aquaristic hobby, there are people who don't think as a passionate aquarist but just with the greed of money.
 

Pescado_Verde

Member
emeraldking said:
Yes, I'm familiar with his name on facebook. Well, before I used my own name as an Fb acount, I used my website's name. But that account had problems in a sudden. And if I'm right, Charles Clapsaddle has been on that Fb account as being an Fb friend as well.

Because I couldn't get acces to that specific account of mine, I made another account with my own name. Somebody who hated my guts reported me as not being trustworthy. Just a mean thing of that person for he hates everyone who doesn't wanna cooperate with him. This specific person is such a person who doesn't have the correct background in vivaristic but wants to make a big name in no time for the money. Unfortunately also within the aquaristic hobby, there are people who don't think as a passionate aquarist but just with the greed of money.
That's too bad about your emeraldking account on FB. People do some really terrible things sometimes out of simple spite. I would think though that anyone who has done even a little research would know that you're one of the most transparent and honest breeders in this hobby, not to mention that you have many years of experience with livebearers.
Still, I can see how FaceBook without knowing any details and only responding to a complaint might react the way they did but I'm confident that your reputation did not suffer among those who are familiar with your background.
 
  • Thread Starter

emeraldking

Member
Pescado_Verde said:
That's too bad about your emeraldking account on FB. People do some really terrible things sometimes out of simple spite. I would think though that anyone who has done even a little research would know that you're one of the most transparent and honest breeders in this hobby, not to mention that you have many years of experience with livebearers.
Still, I can see how FaceBook without knowing any details and only responding to a complaint might react the way they did but I'm confident that your reputation did not suffer among those who are familiar with your background.
Well, since this week I am able to access my former Fb account again. Now, I'm also using my own name with this one to see it as a new start of this account.

In the meantime while using the new account when this particular one had been blocked, he grabbed every single opportunity to gossip. He calls himself a real "man"! But his behavior seems quite childish to me. I've blocked him overthere ever since. In my opinion, he may not call him an aquarist if greed is the core.

But anyways, I'm glad that that account is working again...
 

Pescado_Verde

Member
That is good news, I'm glad to hear that you're back in action! I don't spend much time on FB but may have to become a follower or whatever they call it.
 
Top Bottom