A Cpo-compatible 20 Gallon Tank? Help

1. danelch Member Member

Hey everyone
    So I have this 20 gallon high DIRTED tank with plants, a betta and Malaysian trumpet snails in there.

I plan to make a community of RCS, guppies and CPOs in there. I've literally no experience with CPOs so I needed to ask a few questions before I go to get my other fish from my LFS on Monday.

1) would the MTS,CPO,RCS and guppies be compatible in the tank? (I can move the beta if need be)

2) if yes,then the dirt below the 1 inch gravel substrate wouldn't be a problem, would it? I read somewhere that CPOs may dig or something.

3) Again,if yes, I'd love for my tank inhabitants to breed out of control. Would that be a problem in this tank? I'll add pvc pipes and stuff for them(especially the fry) to hide in.

4) I also have a spare 7.5 gallon ( 1cubic foot) tank on hand. Any other suggestions where I could utilise that too in the plan?? Or something like that?

I'd love to know what you guys think.

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I would consider using the 7.5 to start your RCS colony. It can also be used as a grow out tank for fry, or the bettas home if it doesn't work out.

3. danelch Member Member

You mean like starting the colony in the 7.5 and then moving some to the 20 to see if it works out? And until I do that,you think the MTS, the guppies and the CPOs would be fine with each other? Also consider that it's a dirted,planted tank.

I could move the Betta elsewhere. That's no issue.

4. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I think the Betta would be happier in 78-80 or so degrees. Guppies like slightly cooler water. I believe the others could work though. CPOs would likely have a RCS treat though. What I mean by starting the RCS colony in the 7.5 is getting maybe 5 RCS, letting them breed to increase the numbers, then transfer them to the 20H.

5. ChiefBrody Member Member

That's my dream tank stock-wise. I had something similar as a child but really want to make an adult attempt. Anyway, definitely keep the betta as a centerpiece. That tank should pretty much take care of itself. You could even put it in a window sill for a more natural look but I'm also crazy like that. They'll definitely breed. The only thing is MTS might need to be harvested periodically. I wouldn't worry about the digging much once the root structure from the plants take hold. I want a nice small planted tank like that in my kitchen window with an aquaponic herb garden above it. Simple DIY and it looks good to all grown in. It would also work in the den with a pothos plant draped all around the room dipped in the top

...really if you wanna get sexy take that 7.5 gallon and make it a sump. Then you could overstock the $#&@ out of it

And there's your RCS refugium

Nano-sump!?! Now I wanna do this. Seriously bettas are back n badder than ever! Wait till y'all see my herb garden! Ha, this is the best forum thanks to all of you

6. danelch Member Member

Exactly what I thought you meant :)

You really think the CPOs would munch on the RCS ? :/

7. ChiefBrody Member Member

Not if the juveniles are safely tucked away in a 7.5 sump underneath the tank out of sight

Even just keep breeders and juveniles in the refugium 7.5 and the rest inside the display tank

8. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They would. CPOs are supposed to be some of the most aggressive of the Crayfish. They will eat RCS adults and juvies.

9. danelch Member Member

By harvested you mean they'd overbreed?? I honestly wouldn't care about that. The more the merrier as long as everything from the stock list is thriving and reproducing and increasing lol

Wouldn't the Betta eat the RCS?? Not the fry! The adults too?

Here's my 20 gallon currently. The Betta and the MTS are in there rn. If you look closely, there's pothos in there too. Hope you like it :)
    All I need to do is to add the RCS and the CPOs and some pipes etc for their shelter etc

8d73dfee7135056c8966751b9b7ed687.jpg

So you really think I should go ahead and add em ?

I was thinking I should maybe add the CPOs but add the RCSs later after I have a colony in my 7.5 just like someone said ^

I do have an internal sump in my 90 gallon tank. I could put something in there too. I did think about that and a couple of other ideas too earlier :)

10. ChiefBrody Member Member

That's perfect for cpos they can't dig anything up. Love the pothos. Seriously tho sump that 7.5 it's sooo easy! PVC overflow is simple to make and inexpensive. Speciality colors are available online if you hate the white. A small submersible or inline pump can be acquired used from your local aquarium club. Setting up the baffles is the fun part cuz you get to design your own filter. What's important to you? What's given you trouble in the past? Now's your chance to address it once and for all. A tube of caulking and some acrylic (or glass if you can get it) baffles and whatever media your using. Here's my guppy refugium ac9694432d496110d90a66a569cca11b.jpg

By adding a sump you'll be adding 5 gallons of volume to your 20 gallon system behind the scenes thus making it able to handle more bio-load. The shrimp breeding in the refugium will filter feed thus further cleaning your water. It'll be spotless

And realistically the RCS will be in hiding and even if they came out I doubt the betta could catch one

11. danelch Member Member

Haha you know what? I do already have the baffles cut for the 7.5 lol I wanted to make it a mini sump for my 90 gallon tank but then I let it go cuz the whole process seemed too complex. Especially calculating what sized pump I'd need for the return etc but it is a good idea nonetheless. I'll look into it :)
    We are you growing in the guppy refugium ? I do have java moss but it's not growing fast :/

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the individual betta. Some are fine with shrimp, some aren't.

13. ChiefBrody Member Member

Crypt becketti that was getting destroyed and a jungle val that came up. All the rogue hornwort floating around gets thrown in there as well. Yeah that mini sump is where it's at. You could do a fluidized filter with pool filter sand instead of bio-media to save room. Plus the refugium filtration, foam pad here or there you'll be golden. 8c9fe259468aad00069382edaa507fb0.jpg