A couple questions...

1. Rm2011 Initiate Member

Hey everyone,

First of all, I apologize for such a long post.

I have a couple questions for you guys. And yes, I know I haven't filled out my profile yet, I will do it as soon as I have a chance to get my computer out. Anyways, 2 10 gallon tanks, both fully cycled, and at Max stock capacity. They both have 3 times the required filtration capacity with Aquaclear HOB filters. Both have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 40 ppm nitrates. PH of 8, and very hard water. They are both planted tanks with everything including Anubis, water onion, water wisteria, apogenoten, and swords. Lighting consists of 2 26w 6500k each. Which equals out to 5.2 WPG, but I don't think that's entirely accurate as the CFL isn't exactly the ideal fixture to direct light down towards the tank. Lights are on 14 hours a day.

Now for the problem. I have a terrible case of BBA (funny story how it appeared- I bought the apogenoten from petco, which was advertised as apogenoten with moss.... It wasn't moss at all, but BBA) as well as green spot algae, and the "normal" algae that just covers everything in a fine "dust". I have shrimp and snails, so I won't use algacide. I would like to get to the bottom of the problem. I have spot treated the BBA with H2O2, but it keeps reappearing as this isn't a permanent solution.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to control this algae outbreak?

Also, I realize that I have very high lighting, so I need to do something in the way of co2. I'm thinking maybe this is what caused the algae outbreak? I haven't dosed anything in the way of co2. What do you guys suggest? I need the cheapest and easiest solution as I am a college student on a very small budget. I've tried the DIY co2 and it turned out to be a disaster because I couldn't find an effective way to dissolve it.

thanks for taking the time to read this and offer your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Cut down the time your lights are on by half, do extra water changes to get the nitrates down, feed less, more fish = more waste = more nutrients for the algae.
    You can also spot treat with Flourish excell, but until you eliminate the cause it'll just keep coming back.
    What fish are in your tank & how many of each?

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

First thing is your lights are running way too long. Even with CO2 it is difficult to avoid algae in a tank with the lights running in excess of 10 hours, and with your setup even that may be too long.

The DIY CO2 would be your best bet. They sell cheap glass/ceramic disk diffusers on eBay for less than $10. Seachem Excel or other liquid carbon would be the second choice, but would actually be more expensive than the DIY CO2.

Even considering CFL inefficiency that is a lot of light although I wouldn't want to guess the actual PAR. Do you have control over the cfl lamps individually? If so I would run both lamps for about 4 hours in midday and only 1 lamp for a total of other 4 hours and see if you can get a grip on the algae problem. But you do need some CO2 source with that much light.

You didn't mention ferts, but you need them as well to have the plant resources balanced, cheapest short term would be SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive, cheapest in the long term would be PPS Pro dry ferts.

4. Rm2011 Initiate Member

Unfortunately I do not have control over the lamps individually. I will start by cutting down the hours my lights are on my half. I had just read somewhere that if you have plants, the lights should be on for 14 hours a day.

I will also begin performing additional water changes to get the nitrates down.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

5. Rm2011 Initiate Member

Tank 1 has:
    4 albino cory cats, 8 ghost shrimp, 3 ottos, and 3 platy's

Tank 2:
    4 albino Cory's, 3 ottos, 5 cherry barbs, and 3 red blue tetras.

(Yes, tank 2 is overstocked for sure but I have at least tried to compensate for this with over filtration)