Help A couple questions regarding setting up a new tank

JowwdTheRat

Reaction score
So currently, I am thinking about setting up a 20 gallon freshwater tank with serpae tetras. I already have a sponge filter that has been sitting in an established tank for a while now (a month or two). I was planning on setting up the tank with this sponge filter. I heard you can instant-cycle tanks this way, but I would like to know whether or not this is true. I also have a mechanical filter called the Aqueon Penguin (at least I think that is what it is called). Would I be able to cycle this mechanical filter with the established sponge filter? Some people say to squeeze the sponge filter into the tank water to help seed other new filters. Should I do that? Also, how many fish should I start out with (if the tank is ready for fish). Would two or three serpae tetras to start be too little or too much for the filters to handle?

Best Answer - View mattgirl's answer
OP
JowwdTheRat

JowwdTheRat

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
This is something I wrote up for situations like this. Hopefully it will answer all your questions but if you need clarification please just ask.
Oh, thank you. I still have a few questions. Could I safely gravel vacuum my established tank as usual after moving the extra sponge filter into the new tank, or would that crash or harm my old tank. Should I wait a week and just do a water change for now?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
JowwdTheRat said:
Oh, thank you. I still have a few questions. Could I safely gravel vacuum my established tank as usual after moving the extra sponge filter into the new tank, or would that crash or harm my old tank. Should I wait a week and just do a water change for now?
Just to be on the safe side I think I would just do a water change this week. Vacuuming the gravel probably won't hurt anything. Bacteria clings to everything in the tank including the gravel. Vacuuming it might remove some but I don't think it would remove enough to cause a problem. I do believe in being safe not sorry though.

New Threads