A Couple Of Newbie Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmartiepantz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi!

Im starting up a 30 gallon reef tank this week. I've got all the equipment and decor, but I have a few questions before I start cycling.

1. My RO unit has a faucet adapter and I intend to use it by plugging it directly to the tap. How much can I turn on the water flow of my faucet without the unit exploding from too much pressure?
2. Should I cycle the tank with, or without activated carbon? (I am using the Red Sea reef mature pro kit to cycle the tank)
3. Im going to have a refugium with chaeto. When do I add it, before or after cycling?
4. When do I add pods? (Starting the tank completetly dead)
5. Should I leave the light on while cycling? How many hours per day?
6. I have a glass top for the tank, should I switch it to a mesh one instead?
7. The stocking in the tank will be:
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 black clown goby
1 fire shrimp
In which order should they be added to the tank?
8. Should I get a cleanup crew? How large should it be?

Thanks in advance!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1) Truth be told you may have to do trial and error there.
2) Yes, Carbon is the ONLY thing you should use during cycling, it will help clear up the cloudy water
3) Definitely after, the cycle would kill the chaeto
4) After the cycle is complete and the brown algae bloom has come and gone and you have Chaeto growing (they need it to start feeding and breeding)
5) Leave the light off for the first week or two as it will only contribute to unwanted types of algae growing quickly in your tank. 8 hours max lighting for a saltwater tank
6) Mesh top would offer better gas exchange, but either could work
7) I would go from least to most aggresive. Black Clown Goby, Royal Gramma, then pair of clowns. Fire Shrimp should be last. Before the fish, I would add a few snails and dwarf hermits after the brown algae (aka Diatom Bloom) comes in at the end of the cycle.

Last edited:

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not a problem. Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom