A Couple Of Newbie Questions...

1. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there. I just recently switched my 29 gallon to a very sparsely planted tank. I added some Amazon swords. Along with some cholla wood glued with other bushier plants (I have the list somewhere)

How do I keep the swords from floating to the top? I have replanted this one bunch 4 times. Pretty sure my cories keep digging them up. I don't have access to plant weights without ordering online, which would be a week before they get here (I just tried to find some with quicker shipping, super spendy). Is there any DIY tips for keeping them anchored?

Also a couple weeks ago I accidentally ordered Seachem Replenish instead of Prime. Boy was I shocked when it arrived lol. Anyways it says it is to replenish minerals lost with using RO water. I have very soft water with a low kH/gh. I use crushed coral for my kH. Do you think it would be ok to use the replenish also? It says it will up the gH one degree per dose. My gH is around 5-6. It won't hurt the fish at all right? I was thinking it may help the snail shells if nothing else since it has calcium in it. Plus a little extra minerals for the plants would be ok. I do already use a plant food in addition to root tabs, btw

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

As for the sword plant, I did a DIY thing too...I took a small piece of pantyhose a cut 2 slits in it (one on each side of the pantyhose tube, parallel to each other), then sewed the edges of said slits to create a sort of hem so it wouldn't tear. Then I sewed the ends of the pantyhose to create "pockets" for me to put gravel in and weigh it down. Then I slipped the plant in between the slits and replanted, burying the pockets as well. My BN liked to uproot my bigger swords too and this is how it stopped him lol. (I can draw a pic if you want....the directions may be confusing now that I'm looking at it)

As for the replenish, I don't think it'll hurt to add to help with the Gh, but your adding other trace minerals too (I believe there is magnesium, potassium, and sodium, as well as calcium), but they;re in such a small dosage, it'll probably just do little overall to your fish and even provide the trace minerals your plants will most likely appreciate. Just be gradual with the dosing, and keep in mind if you want to do this long term, you'll have to add the appropriate amount equal to how much your changing your water with to keep it consistent for your fishy babies :)

3. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

That's a great pantyhose idea Kins, but i'm not handy sewing so I used plastic mesh folded around and glued together. Added plant roots, tab, covered with small gravel and sunk the whole thing into the gravel substrate. No more floaters lol.

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

lol do that hahh...I'm too complicated. I'm gonna steal that idea!

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

How deep is the substrate? I have never needed anything to plant swords.

6. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

My sand is 2" deep. Maybe a little deeper. I have 2 other bunches that are staying planted just fine, it's just this one grouping. They are in the center of the tank, and I really think it is the cories messing with them. The other 2 bunches are in the corners, where the cories can't really get to them.

Great idea with the mesh and/or pantyhose. I need to run and get more superglue anyways, so I will pick up one or the other. As I was leaving the house, I noticed the plants were again floating at the top. So they will have to stay like that until I get back home. Had to take my gramma to the doctor. Priorities ya know lol

As with the replenish, I think I will wait and see if my plants seem to need the minerals. They may do just fine without them. Thank you for the info.

Thanks for all the tips!

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I used a pill bottle cap and fishing line.

8. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I certainly have plenty of those. No fishing line though, although thread would work.

Thanks!

9. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Cotton thread would work.

10. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I usually aim for about three inches of substrate... would it be possible to create a "mound" around the sword?
    An for sure it's a sword? You keep referring to it as a bunch... sword should be a single crown with roots. If you are trying to plant more then one together I would suggest spacing them out. With swords it's usually pretty easy to spread out the roots and then cover... don't forget the root tabs!
    Replenish should raise the gH, not a bad idea with plants and snails. Alkaline buffer raises kH (I use it with every water change)

11. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

They are Amazon swords. Echinodurus Bleheri actually. They came as 3 groupings, but there were 4 actual separate plants per grouping. Initially each grouping was tied together with what looked similar to old paper towels. When I pulled the paper towels off, it became obvious it was more like 12 different starts with their own root systems.

This one grouping keeps getting disturbed, so I am going to weigh it down. I do have the sand mounded up around the plants. With the rhizomes out, roots in. It's all the corydora's fault. They have to dig around so much lol

12. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

I'm fighting the same battle with hornwort. It came last week while I was out of town and hub just tossed it into the tank. I sorted it and made bundles with the zinc wraps, but one bunch just will not stay put. It is kinda in the middle too so the corys play hide and seek around it a lot lol.