A Couple Cycling Questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Rich Johnson, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Rich Johnson

Rich Johnson Valued Member Member

I have three nano tanks that I originally cycled from scratch. Now I'm setting up a 20 gallon, and I'd like to take advantage of the established tanks. The new tank came with an Aquaclear HOB filter that isn't compatible with my other filter media. Here are two questions I have:

1: Can I just take the bio media bag from the Aquaclear filter and put it in another tank for a couple weeks to let the bacteria start colonizing?

2: Can I use detritus from my snail tank (they produce a LOT) to start the cycle in the new tank? Would this be faster than adding flake food?

Thanks.

2. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

I don't see why you couldn't do both of those things. Good ideas.

3. OP
    OP
    Rich Johnson

Rich Johnson Valued Member Member

Will pest snails set up shop in the bio bag? I have a ramshorns in my betta tank to eat algae and MTS in my pea puffer tank for occasional puffer snacks.

4. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

When I read this the first time, I read it as you putting the bio bag in the other tank's filter, not directly into the tank.
    I've never attempted putting filter media directly into a tank, aside from sponge prefilters.
    I think it's very possible that if you have these prolifically breeding snails in your tanks you would wind up transferring some on the new media if placed directly into the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice