A Clown And Her Nem

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years

Christian7425

Reaction score
Wow, I really need to start a saltwater tank. Thats amazing to watch!

GrouchyGuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So beautiful. Agreed with Christian, I need one!

louis bitonti

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
are these very hard to keep, i have 2 flurry clowns my self but i don't want to buy one and have it die, i will do some more looking around to get the facts but some help from someone on here would be nice to.

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
louis bitonti said:
are these very hard to keep, i have 2 flurry clowns my self but i don't want to buy one and have it die, i will do some more looking around to get the facts but some help from someone on here would be nice to.
Hi Louis.

I have never had any issues with mine.
You just have to keep them away from the power heads or get foam covers designed for the power heads.
I started with one about the size of a quarter... It's split many times.
I had to take a rock filled with them out and put into another tank.
At last count i have 27 nems in the two tanks.
I don't do anything special either. I barely feed them but i do over feed the fish and they catch a lot of the food.
When i first got him i did feed him raw, thawed, cutup shrimp.
But now it's just what they can catch when i feed the fish.
And they do sting. I lost a nice war coral and a piece of montipora.
They will also move, often, where they want.
I've moved them back but if they don't like it they will keep moving...

It also took 3 years for the one clown to roam up and say hey what's this... The second clown is now swimming in and through them.

Hope that helped. Research is best.
Almost 4 years in the hobby and I'm still learning...

Good luck!!

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Clowns in their nem... Oh look! What are they up to???
Enjoy

louis bitonti

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i think you where the person who said they could help me get a nem, you inspired me to get on, i got a hatitian nem and it was going great. it was eating looked super good i even showed a pic of it to my lfs they said it was one of the nicer ones they have seen. sadly it died last night after bering sucked into the power head. i had foam over the sides and not the front. i am now morning the lose of it.

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry to hear that Louis. It is sad but don't let it discourage you. They do love to move until they're happy. I'm also glad you had foam over the powerhead. Sometimes they sneak in another way. Hope you get another and he stays away.

louis bitonti said:
i think you where the person who said they could help me get a nem, you inspired me to get on, i got a hatitian nem and it was going great. it was eating looked super good i even showed a pic of it to my lfs they said it was one of the nicer ones they have seen. sadly it died last night after bering sucked into the power head. i had foam over the sides and not the front. i am now morning the lose of it.

TRAILRIDER

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lovely!

Emil Jóhann

Reaction score
Clownfish are so cool. I am defintley gonna buy one soon!

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Def need to get one OR TWO

Emil Jóhann said:
Clownfish are so cool. I am defintley gonna buy one soon!

TRAILRIDER

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
James S, will any clown fish like a bubble tip anemone? Or do certain clowns like different anemones? (Sorry if that is a stupid question!) I have never had a clown and anemone paired. Only had Condys in the past. They were pretty easy. Like you, I overfed my fish and watched to see that the nem got enough to eat. When my nitrates are good enough (they are at 5.0 now) I would like to get a bubble tip and a clown. Should nitrates be zero before adding a bubble tip? Ammonia and nitrites are zero now.

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi trail rider. Not a store question. My two clowns lived in a big head of frogspawn for 2 years with the rose bubble anemones 6" away... Then one day i came home from work and the female clown was hiding in the one anemone. Almost a year later the male joined her.
And that is all i know about clowns and hosting...
So that was actually a very good question because I'm not sure.
I will have to look into this to see what my options are for my upcoming 210 gallon aquarium.
Thanks
TRAILRIDER said:
James S, will any clown fish like a bubble tip anemone? Or do certain clowns like different anemones? (Sorry if that is a stupid question!) I have never had a clown and anemone paired. Only had Condys in the past. They were pretty easy. Like you, I overfed my fish and watched to see that the nem got enough to eat. When my nitrates are good enough (they are at 5.0 now) I would like to get a bubble tip and a clown. Should nitrates be zero before adding a bubble tip? Ammonia and nitrites are zero now.

JamesS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
New Pixel 3XL
Here's the first video...
Trying this 4k thing.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar