A cheap filtration idea for container ponds

MissMTS
I have a 50 gallon container pond on my patio, and I have been wanting a filter for it for a while, but with as expensive as most pond filters are, I couldn't afford one. I had an epiphany one day though I remembered that I had a spare air pump laying around. I went to the store and got a large sponge filter ($12) and hooked it up to the air pump. Now my water is crystal clear and my fish are doing much better. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I just thought I would share this little tip with everyone

callichma
So glad to see this idea. I've been thinking of trying this in my 40 gallon half whiskey barrel fountain. Now I'll do it for sure.

callichma
I found a "Goldfish Dirt Magnet" sponge filter by Tetra at my LFS. The water is slowly getting clearer and the goldfish is happier as are the mystery snails.

Lucy
That sounds great Kate! A large sponge filter for $12.00 sounds like a bargain.

Red1313
Sweet

Stang Man
You can put an air stone and hook it to a rock with a rubber band and will do the same thing a sponge has no benifit to a pond.

fraserm
What do you mean a sponge filter has no benefit to a pond? It is cleaning it isn't it?

Stang Man
It will clean but for a short period of time and must be cleaned at least every day because it will get clogged rapidly. if the pond eco system is doing well then all the beneficial algae will do its job but if the pond is still with no movement then it turns stagnent and will not develope beneficial algae and water clarity will not be appealing like I said before with just air moving water will do more than nothing at all. The best filter is a bog this will do a lot of things other than a sponge filter and never needs cleaning. if your interested in that will be glad to help!!!!

yallyall1
In my limited knowledge, I think you need some form of filtration AND water movement.
I have seen fountain filters for a downhill pond that looks cool... not that I'm suggesting that, its just cool! If its a massive sponge filter, it will be fine!

JRDroid
I know the brand Hydro makes large sponge filters meant specifically for large tanks and small ponds.

Stang Man
A bog is better than any filter membrane out there, And has more benefits, I do agree somewhat about a sponge filter but also depends on what type sponge filter, Think of it this way in a pond this body of water is a large mass of water as the sun shines on it then algae accurs rapidly this will clogg a filter fast if you do a bog which is a area that holds nothing but pea gravel and have a spray bar located at the very bottom of gravel then the gravel cleans the things being pulled thru it. works the same as a wet and dry filter or an under gravel filter system in an aqurium. That's a very cheap way to make a filter for a pond and that grows beneficial bacteria for the waste that fish create.The next best thing to have in a pond is a UV filter to rid the bad algae from the good. then on the top half of the bog you plant water loving plants to help out in the process. I purchused a Savio Fiter that's very big I have 3000 gallons of water in the pond and found that if I leave the bog running 24/7 and use filter the savio for a few hours just for looks on waterfall and I removed filter in it the bog does all the work. BTW on a bog use a small pump that will circulate only a 1/3 of water volume per hour is the best way you just want a very slow flow moving thru bog!

MissMTS
My pond is actually in a shaded area, so the sponge filter has been working great. I was actually having a lot of problems with my pond (still am, but I'm sorting them out) when it came to its "natural balance" because its a container pond without a lot of plant growth. Since there is not a ton of algae, it makes sense to me to treat it like an aquarium. So far I am very happy with the way the filter is working out. The bog sounds great, but I don't think I need it for such a small pond... Maybe one of these days when I buy a house and can afford to put in a huge pond

Stang Man
Well that is cool but if you decide to dig a hole in the yard this is the way to go. Happy ponding!!!

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom