A change in plans... 29 Gallon Tank

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

Well I made my 2nd visit to my lfs and I have made a few rather significant cnanges in my stocking plans. I oragionally was into Cory catfish, and planned on getting 6 of those. However, after looking at many different kinds, I don't have a huge desire to get them. I guess I thought they'd be a bit better, but anyways, now I have freed up space for a new bottom fish. So here's my stocking without a bottom dweller

1 apistogramma
    1 German blue ram
    6 cherry barbs( still not sure, any other cool schooling fish around 2 in.)?
    1 swordtail
    1 bumblebee goby
    So I now need something to occupy and clean the lower level of the tank. I am thinking a pictus catfish and either 4 ottos or 3 loaches/boati? What do you suggust? I also may add 3or so guppys
    And also, I found 3 caves that I really liked and 1 hallow log with a hole in the middle. So il have 3 shelter spots. I also want to get some slate/large rocks and sillicone to create my own cave. Also will net be able to get live plants for at least 7 months, so I'll have to settle for 11 or so fake ones. How's everything sound? Btw it is a 29. Gallon tank with a penguine 150b and a penguine 100b.

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I wonder whether this is true, but I once read that Cory catfish become even more fun at an older age than as juveniles. What I do know for sure though is that fish in a tank in a store do not act at all like fish in an established home tank of the appropriate size etc. Therefore observing fish in a store may not be a good basis for evaluating how fun these fish can be. You might consider not crossing Cory catfish off of your list of possible candidates for bottom dwellers. However, there is nothing wrong of course with deciding not to have cories, all I am saying is that your basis for evaluation may not give you an accurate reflection of them. I once met a person who said she would never get a betta because all they do is just sit there - guess how she arrived at that idea.

3. OP
    OP
    F

It's not that i don't think the Cory's are a fun and active fish! Because I do! But I have been deciding and I really wanted a albino rainbow Shark. When I reasearched them and found they would not work, I was bummed. But adding a pictus would be a good enough replacement for a shark. I was also looking into otos and loaches, and all of the boredom dwellers I have been considering I love! But I really have limited space. So I really want a pictus cat ad then I don't think Cory's would fit as they need 6. Loaches and otos need only 3 so I could do that with the pictus. I didn't mean I don't like corys( and I hope to keep some in the future,) but I ment I want to do something else with limited bottom space

4. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

What size is your tank? I forget... ;D

Pictus like company of their own kind, and that would require a rather large tank, though I forget the exact size (probably at least 55 gallons).

5. OP
    OP
    F

29 gallons. I have been really happyever sconce I found this city's. I have heard they do fine by them self, and getting 5 or so in., he would be the perfect replacement for a shark. I was also wondering, as I heard it when searching around line, a person who had 2 dwarf cichlids and a dwarf gourami, Soo that case, is it still worth as hot white a gourami? But anyways, back to the original questions
    1) what schooling fish
    2) bottom dwellers. Loaches, otos, boati, what do ya recommend with a pictus

6. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

I'm sorry fishyboy but a pictus cat just wouldn't fit in a 29. While it may be true that getting one would be fine by itself it doesn't change the fact that your tank still isn't large enough. Please have a look at the pictus cat profile: https://www.fishlore.com/profile-pictus-catfish.htm

I would recommend you thinking about getting a larger tank so you can get more of the fish you want. If that really isn't possible then you will just have to find some fish that you like AND that will be appropriate for the tank size you have.

7. Gordinian

Sadly, I don't think a pictus cat would be very happy in a 29 gallon. I know how you feel though, I've wanted one every since I first heard of them. What makes a good fishkeeper is doing your research (and good for you for asking so many questions BEFORE setting up a tank, not many people do!), and making decisions that are best for the fish. You're much more likely to see the happy/spunky behaviors of a pictus (or hopefully, group of pictus) in a larger tank.

As for schoolers, you have quite a few options (and there are many more than I'll list):

*neons or cardinals
    *serpae tetra
    *ember tetra
    *harlequins
    *black phantom tetra
    *bleeding heart tetra
    *gold barb
    *danios

Bottom dwellers... give me a few minutes, and I'll try to think up some interesting ones!

8. OP
    OP
    F

Well I guess I'll have to do without. I still would like a fish that is around 4 or so inches. Any suggestions? And preferably a catfish, and solitary! If I find one that is solatary I will add 3 of a suggested species, likebi asked earler, but if not ill add 4 or 5. So as for schoolers, I like all that were listed. I was staying away from gold barbs due to their almost 3 inch size. So for now I'm either doing the cherry barbs or black phantom tetras. Mabye bleading hearts. Suggustions on best of those with the color of the other fish in the tank? And also, are barbs ok for cycling?

9. Gordinian

Possible bottom dwellers:

*kuhli loach
    *ottos (so cute!)
    *yoyo loach
    *bn or other small pleco
    *shrimp

Edit: I can't think of a catfish for you at the moment, but I'll think!

10. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Also, bumblebee gobies are aggressive, so I would stay away from those.

11. Gordinian

I was about to mention that too. Reading up on them, it seems they don't do too well in community setups, and will do quite a bit of fin-nipping, even if unprovoked. I hate to say no to both the pictus and the goby, but it'll make for a much nicer tank.

I'd say you still have room in your tank for both the cherry barbs AND another schooling fish, if you wanted. Or you could pick two, and not do the cherry barb, if you like your other options more.

As for what would match well with the other fish on your list, black phantoms would match just about anything, because of their black color. If you're looking for more color in your tank, the neons/cardinals would look good; or even the serpae, harlequins, or some glofish (colorful danio).

12. OP
    OP
    F

Well I researched toto loaches, and now I feel a bit better bout the pictus and now I really want those!! I think Mabye 4 or 5 of those, and then a colony of 10 shrimp? So my stocking would be around this
    1 apistogramma
    1 German blue ram
    6 cherry barbs
    6 black phantom tetras
    1 swordtail
    4 yo yo loaches
    2 bumblebee gobys( really really really want theese guys. I have been set on theese for ad long as I've wanted an aquarium)
    And also, I live in the Minneapolis subburbs of Minnesota. And my favorite store is a world of fish!! Is there any possibility you have been there? And if so do they have yoyo loaches? And finally, a dwarf gourami. Any chance with this setup?

13. Gordinian

I guess if you're dead set on the bumblebee gobies, at least make sure that you have a back up plan if it doesn't work (whether that's getting them their own tank, rehoming them, or adding them second, after another species, to see how they react before you've spent money on all the other fish- in this case, then, if you wanted to stock around them, we could give you more options).

Oh A World of Fish... lol. I've been there a few times, though it's a bit out of my way. I'm sure they carry yoyos (they have lots of fish), but I've been to better stores. I'll admit that it's better than most chain stores, but often times there's never anyone who'll ask if you need help, and I've seen a few sickly fish now and then (for example, they seemed to be the only place near me that carried giraffe cichlids, but most that I bought from there would die soonafter).

As for a gourami, the list you've got above pretty much stocks your tank- you may even want to cut out the swordtail.

14. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I never buy bottom feeders for them to clean the bottom of the tank. I think that's our job. With dwarf cichlids, they tend to stay at the bottom of the tank and bottom feeders might disturb them. Have you considered getting another ram of the opposite sex and some more apisto's? They would probably like some friends of their own species?

15. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

16. OP
    OP
    F

Haha thanks for all the replys! What are the stores you have been to they are never? And do they have more fish??!!!???
    I may get dwarf chain loaches if possible due to their only 2.5 iches size. But they may be hard to find and pricy! So I'll plan on yoyos.
    And I will not do a dg but anyways here's my plan for my tank
    Get tank set up with everything
    1 day later, add 6 cherry barbs( ok for cycling?)
    3 weeks or whenever nitrates and Amonia is 0 add swordtail,
    Next day add bumblebee gobys
    2 days later add apisto gramma
    1 week later add yoyo loaches
    2 weeks later add gbr.
    See how everything goes than Mabye some phantom tetras.
    Also I will rearrange caves before each aggressive/territorial fish introduced!!
    And also, any ideas for a replacement large bottom fish?

17. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks, I really enjoyed reading this!
    And now I thought of and idea! Getting two or one depending on your suggestions...? And having a small cave that I saw at petsmart for each of them. That way only the goby can use it and it is only 5 bux! What do you think?

18. Gordinian

(I assume you mean that, after you add cherries, when your tank is cycled and ammonia and nitrItes are zero ;) )

Yes, that sounds like a good plan; you may want to hold off a couple more days before you add the apisto, you don't want to mess up your cycle!

As for stores, the ones I go to are probably a bit too far for you. My all time favorite is A Wet Pet in Apple Valley. Very nice and knowledgeable employees (all two of them!), healthy fish, and I've heard that they'll special order fish for you (though I've never asked, they always had the fish I was looking for).

I've heard that Forest Lake Pets is a good one, but I've only been there once. They have a large fish selection, and even had the blue rili shrimp I'd been looking for. It seemed like there weren't enough employees in the fish section though.

I guess World of Fish isn't that bad; I like to go there every now and again just to mix things up. They do have a large selection, and you could probably find the loaches you're looking for :)

Edit: JoannaB- I just read that and was about to link it up! :;nin2

19. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks! A wet pet is almost the same drive ad AWOF. Which is around 22 min. So I may go there soon! As for stocking, I was confused with what you said in the parentheses? But anyway, here it is in order
    6 cherry barbs
    1 swordtail
    2 bumblebee gobys( would 1 be better? Or 2 cuz they would bicker only with eachother?)
    3 yoyo loaches( or 4? And what size is average?)
    1 apistogramma
    1 gbr
    6 phantom tetras?
    And I will have 3 large caves and 2 mini ones fit for gobys!! Also fake planes and wood!
    And if the tetras overstock it, how bout 3 guppys???