A/c Broken & Out Of Town

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by akcarroll12, Jun 21, 2019.

1. akcarroll12

akcarroll12Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hello! I am just about to go out of town, and my A/C just broke. This week’s weather is supposed to be in the 90s so I’m really concerned about my fish cooking. Earliest we can get A/C back on is tomorrow. I have a betta in a 10 gallon and a dwarf gourami, a few neon tetras and albino cories, and a snail in a 29 gallon. I turned the tank heater off. Is there anything I can do to make sure they don’t overheat? I won’t be in town to monitor them and do things like maybe add conditioned ice. I have had these fish for a really long time and would like to keep them alive. Thanks!

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Experience:
    2 years
    How long will you be away for? Are they in a room with a ceiling fan you could leave running depending on how long your going to be away? Do the tanks have lids where you could remove them to let some air run across the top from the fan but you will deal with some more evaporated water when you return. Aside from that i cant think of anything else. I don't think the betta will mind the warmer water but the other tank could be a little bit of an issue depending on what temp you keep it at for the neons and others.

3. OP
    OP
    akcarroll12

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you. I will be gone for two weeks. Yes there is a fan that should work then

4. StarGirl15

StarGirl15Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +272
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would definitely take the lid off if you have one. Unless you have jumpy fish?

5. OP
    OP
    akcarroll12

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No I don’t the only concern is the snail who likes to sometimes crawl on the roof of the tank

6. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Experience:
    2 years
    As long as you do a good size WC before you go then i don't see any problems with your fish or even your curious snail

7. OP
    OP
    akcarroll12

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Great- Also, I thought I would be getting A/C back within a day or two but now it’s going to be a week or so. Are there any changes in what I should be doing?

8. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Experience:
    2 years
    Is there anyone that can monitor your tanks while your away to be sure the temps don't get too high? These are tropical fish so i think they should be able to adapt to the temp swings over a 2 week period. What did you say your usual temp is in your 29? I gather your Betta tank is close to 80 or so?

9. OP
    OP
    akcarroll12

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Not really... the bettas tank is 81ish and the 29g is usually 75ish

10. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Experience:
    2 years
    The best i can suggest is a good size WC before your vaca is ceiling fan running heaters unplugged and lids off.

11. Otto1

Otto1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Are the tanks in the same room? If so, you could buy an ac window unit for that room only and then return it when you get back. Just make sure it looks like new and it's a 30 day return policy. Also, if a friend has one, you could ask to borrow it. Houses tend to get hotter than outside temperature.