a bully black neon tetra in school of 5

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by bpsod10, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bpsod10New MemberMember

water params
    ammonia and nitrite=0
    nitrate <10ppm
    ph= 7.5
    water temp =24 Celsius

5 black neon tetra, 2 guppies, 1 bristlenose plec, 1 dwarf blue neon gourami
    tank size 54 litres.
    tank > 1year up

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone can help me?
    I recently bought 5 black neon tetra and one of them is bullying another smaller black neon tetra. I separated them per 24 hours the problem has re-occurred when I introduced the separated bully back into the tank.

Do I need to add more to tetra's or should I just accept that the fish is a bully and needs to be removed?

Any advice on solving tetra bullying?
    Thanks
    John

2. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

I had 5 black neons but they got along just fine. You probably could add more but I would recommend that you take the smaller one back to the LFS or to another tank and replace it with some more black neons.

You should turn the temperature up because they like about 25-26 Celsius.

3. bpsod10New MemberMember

Thanks Jake, will give that a go.
    Cheers for your advice.
    John

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

54 liters is about 14 gallons. The BN pleco stays small, yes, but not THAT small. And they don't poop less because they're in a smaller tank.....

There is always a dominant tetra, and the black neons are no exception. I would replace the pleco in favor of 2 more tetras and another female guppy (unless you have 2 males, then I'd leave them be and not add anymore).

Jake - If a particular fish is being a problem, the answer is not to remove the little one - the answer is to remove the problem one. Some types of fish need all the fish in the group to be the same size, but tetras are not one of them.

5. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

With my Black Neons, I've noticed the males bullying the females when it came time to spawn....or when one gets weak or close to death, they seem to want to finish 'em off. I've had as few as 3-4 with no problems. I'm wondering if this is a reaction to being overcrowded with the BN?

6. bpsod10New MemberMember

Thanks guys,
    I ended up separating the bully to my 2nd tank and the other 4 are getting along fine so will try re-introduce after a week apart.
    Thanks again

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Good idea on the separation side of things.

You can also try re-decorating the tank, changing where things like caves, plants etc are, whilst the bully is away.

Whilst not typically territorial, this would allow the other 4 to re-establish their territory, and then when the bully is re-introduced, he may fall into line.

But also, you need to keep in mind that fish will establish a 'chain-of-command' too, so dominant personalities, will always be dominant (just like people), but hopefully the group can establish itself, and the bully will be more receptive.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

8. used2bN2horsesLOLWell Known MemberMember

Mine did the same thing... more didn't help.

Jake, was wondering what happened.
    I tried adding more (5 to 8) and rearranging the tank and I still have one "jerk" black neon who doesn't let the others eat or come out of the plants.
    Was wondering what you did or how your problem resolved.
    I don't want to take him back (had them all about a week) if one is just going to replace him as the "boss".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice