a Brackish for a Puffer...

Narcicius
I recently was forced into the posession of a spotted puffer, I can't return it so I figure I need to make it as happy as possible for the remaining years of its life. I just have never owned a brackish tank so I don't know what's involved. Hes fine now, I mean hes eating a lot. I just need soem specific instruction on what to do, and this isn't from laziness I just get so much mixed information on what to do from other sites I just need someone to talk specifically to me about the situation, so if anyone can help me, some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

sirdarksol
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/brackish-fish-tank-setup.htm
Here's a beginning guide.

Not much extra work compared to freshwater. Basically, just use marine salt and create a lower salinity (I usually use 1Tbsp per 3-5g of water). Brackish fish don't need a super-stable salinity, as long as it doesn't change too quickly. When you're doing water changes, mix the water with the salt before putting it in the tank. When just topping the tank off (from evaporation) don't put any salt in the water, as evaporation doesn't pull salt out of the tank, just water.
If you don't have one, you should get a cheap specific gravity reader (can't think of what they're called). I keep my sg between 1.005 to 1.01, though it can go up to 1.015 for many brackish species (a bit higher for a few).
You might end up with hair algae (my brackish is the only tank I've had the stuff in), and there are a limited number of plants that will live in a brackish tank. Other than that, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
As far as caring for a spotted puffer, I'm afraid I can't help, as I've never had them.

GreenMan13
A good place to look for more info is on the freshwater puffers section of this forum...it has posts on the brackish water puffers.

sirdarksol
I've moved this thread to the "brackish fish" section of the forum. There will be a short-lived redirect, but I think you'll get more hits from people who have brackish tanks if it's in here, rather than the saltwater section.

Narcicius
Thanks sirdarksol aI just really want the puffer to live out the rest of its life happy and healthy, and no one around me has room for such a fish.

pinkfloydpuffer
I keep two GSPs currently. I love them to death and think that they're the cutest fish ever. They're really fun, smart, and curious too. I'll tell you everything I can think to about puffer care. First off, when they're less than 2" they'll prefer light brackish. When they're 2-4" they'll prefer higher brackish, and when 4-6" they'll prefer highend brackish to full saltwater conditons. Mine are currently around 2", and I have them at a SG of 1.008. When they're young their diet should consist of frozen or live, like brine shrimp, plankton, etc., but they'll eat pretty much anything that they can get in their mouths. The most important part of their diet are snails. Having snails about the size of their eye about twice a week keeps their teeth from outgrowing their mouths and preventing them from eating. Most fish stores will give you their little snails for free, because they tend to infest the tanks. The puffers like to have lots of plants and things in their tank to explore, and lots of water movement. They also like temps around 78 F or so. I can't think of anything else right now.... But anyways, puffers are really fun fish to keep.

sirdarksol
Thanks for the info, but this thread is around four months old. Narcicus is likely to have learned quite well how to care for his puffer.

pinkfloydpuffer
oh sorry, didn't notice the date. im

sirdarksol
No problem.

By the way, since this is a dead thread anyway, I might as well ask here. Where did you get your information that green spotted puffers live in full marine water when they grow up? Everything that I have found (see articles sited in one of the other puffer threads you responded to) says that they live only in mildly brackish water. The one person I have ever heard listing the info you give here does not cite sources, so I have no way of checking it against the sources I have found.

pinkfloydpuffer
Hmm... It was a long time ago and I don't quite remember. Sorry I can't be of more help. But I'll keep my eyes open if I come across it again.

sirdarksol
No problem. Thanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lanlesnee
Replies
Views
iloveengl
Replies
Views
Teishokue