A bizarre, single little oddball hitchhiker?

1. Chuck Wheat Member Member

I just took a castle out of my tank and added a new piece of driftwood from the LFS. I don't know if I brought in a hitchhiker or if my ghost shrimp have been getting busy in the castle. There are currently only 2 ghost shrimp; before yesterday there were 3 for the past couple weeks.

It was too quick to get a picture but I can describe its behavior and a brief description. It was tiny, like the size of a baby guppy but had a tale that folded under like a shrimp. It was about this long: (___) and about half that parenthesis in height. I didn't see any antennae but if it was a shrimp, maybe it was still too small to see them properly. It also appeared to have a segmented type body, not like a worm, more like a rolly-poly...but with a tail...and white.

It wasn't clear, like an adult ghost shrimp. More of an off white.

The thing that makes me think it wasn't a shrimp, was that it swam around the tank for several minutes going in and out of hiding. It didn't appear to have to boost off, but rather, just took off when it needed to and could change directions, or at least seemed like it did.

It was faster than my Dwarf Gourami, but ultimately, it landed on the sponge around the filter right beside him and I'm about 95% positive that he ate it.

This was the first time I've seen anything like that in here and it happened within 20 minutes of adding the new piece and rearranging the other stuff. The new drift wood has several crevices and holes that could have hidden it on the trip from the store, but the wood had been in a tank with a single large catfish of some kind (red tail, maybe) and nothing else that I'm aware of.

I would think if it were shrimp then I would have been seeing more of them, unless Balthazar has been eating them before they could grow to this size and when I took the castle out, perhaps I had taken its last secure hiding place?

Oh, and I had taken everything except one plant out to clean the gravel a bit and rearrange the new set up and I didn't see it darting around at that point.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I feel like it was a baby shrimp honestly. I've seen my own shrimp swim pretty gracefully and maybe if it was a smaller baby shrimp it can make sharper turns or something? Not sure but the sponge is usually a good place for baby shrimp and shrimp in general.

However, without photos it'll be hard to determine and if it got eaten (RIP) then it might forever be a mystery haha. Maybe there's more in the tank that haven't grown enough yet and one will pop up sometime. Baby shrimp are incredibly small.

That said, I'd like to see somebody else's opinion on this weird anomaly and see if there's a possibility of identifying it form description alone.

4. marijo Well Known Member Member

Maybe a baby shrimp, maybe amphipod(I brought one of these home once, it came with a plant I bought) or copepod. Could have come free.. with that new piece of driftwood you got!

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I agree that it was most likely a baby shrimp, probably an RCS. They're off-white and swim really well!

6. Chuck Wheat Member Member

marijo called it. After looking up amphipods, thats exactly what it was. I was hoping it was a baby shrimp and felt bad when my DG ate it. But without knowing more about amphipods, I don't know that I want them in my tank.

It didn't quite feel like it was a baby shrimp to me, but I've never encountered these or baby shrimp, so I just didn't know.

Thanks scooby gang!!