Funny A Bit Of A Rant...

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just saw this on a chain pet store’s website.
Ooooh. It irks me. A common pleco in a ten gallon? I think NOT! Imagine the bioload...
Also, c’mon. Can’t be kept in a community tank... will be aggressive? If I kept you in a tiny closet your entire life, you’d be a little feisty too. And not beginner friendly??? If plecos are kept in a large tank (even community) I find they’re super sweet.

Also, the INCH PER GALLON RULE??? If a 24’ pleco was alive it’d only need a 10 gallon tank according to the website. How does that follow (in their words) “the good rule of an inch of fish per gallon???
Am I insane or is this pure misinformation?
If I were a beginner who only relied on this info... imagine the consequences!!!

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not many people have the resources into caring this fish and these fish are also known to be invasive.

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
True. Half the battle there is misinformation. If people believe that a pleco can go in a ten gallon tank, they’ll put it in one. If we could change the information people receive, I think we could curb the issue. A little known fact about most aquarium species is that they are invasive. While I see the concerns there, if there were more information about SAFE fish disposal, I think the issue could at least not be contributed to by the aquarium hobby.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
True. Half the battle there is misinformation. If people believe that a pleco can go in a ten gallon tank, they’ll put it in one. If we could change the information people receive, I think we could curb the issue. A little known fact about most aquarium species is that they are invasive. While I see the concerns there, if there were more information about SAFE fish disposal, I think the issue could at least not be contributed to by the aquarium hobby.
Banning a certain species from reaching into the aquarium hobby would be better than trying to inform people about the care requirements for certain animals. Some people are ignorant and seem to only care about having animals as an accessory and nothing else. Assuming you're from the US, this isn't the first time that a fish has been banned from the aquarium hobby. Take the Asian Arowana for example. This fish has been banned for many years in the US, mainly because they are endangered from their natural habitat. Not only that, but if the Asian Arowana is legal in the US, some irresponsible owner might release it into natural waterways due to lack of resources or thinking that they might be better off in the "wild."

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Banning a certain species from reaching into the aquarium hobby would be better than trying to inform people about the care requirements for certain animals. Some people are ignorant and seem to only care about having animals as an accessory and nothing else. Assuming you're from the US, this isn't the first time that a fish has been banned from the aquarium hobby. Take the Asian Arowana for example. This fish has been banned for many years in the US, mainly because they are endangered from their natural habitat. Not only that, but if the Asian Arowana is legal in the US, some irresponsible owner might release it into natural waterways due to lack of resources or thinking that they might be better off in the "wild."
I agree. I just know that our legal system is flawed and it’d be hard to get some congressperson to care. @MrBryan723 thats crazy! In Texas?
I was just reading about how zebra mussels had spread everywhere...

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did you know Walmart can't really sell fish anymore? It's "up to individual stores" but nearly all of them are done with fish. They'll still sell equipment weirdly, but no more fish

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. I just know that our legal system is flawed and it’d be hard to get some congressperson to care. @MrBryan723 thats crazy! In Texas?
I was just reading about how zebra mussels had spread everywhere...
Lol yes. And my region of Texas is not tropical friendly at all. 100 degree differences over the course of a year is normal here. 40 degrees in a day is normal. But I can see a pacu that size surviving for a while.

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It is great that Walmart can’t sell fish. I’ve only heard horror stories from the ones that still do.m

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well if that can happen, it's not unreasonable to think specific fish can be banned or have restricted access

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you know Walmart can't really sell fish anymore? It's "up to individual stores" but nearly all of them are done with fish. They'll still sell equipment weirdly, but no more fish
Yeah, that's what I've seen at my local Walmart.

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It’s petsmart’s official website. In their company, they must have someone who’s knowledgeable about fish. Even a quick google search proves them wrong...

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have an issue with a website or store then please contact the company & inform them of your concerns, Fishlore is not the place for these rants.
Thread closed

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom