A bit gory - but can someone help me or set my mind at rest?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by carlroy, May 22, 2006.

1. carlroy

carlroyNew MemberMember

Hello one and all.

Im looking for some advice. I have two golden algae eaters, 5 platies and 6 scissor tails in my planted 100 litre tank. (25 gallon). Im not really too sure whether what I am experiencing is normal - and if I am wasting my time worrying or whether I do have a genuine problem that needs sorting out. Any advise or comments will be recieved gratefully.

In order to get the best advise I think it is best if I fill you in on what things are happenning in my tank that I percive to be important.

I think that one of my algae eaters is getting out of control. I initially bought two both roughly two inches in length. I was assured by the local shop that they would remain reasonably small and fit nicely in my comunity aquarium! The two fish have been in my tank for roughly two months now - one has stayed almost exactly the same size whist the other is now seven or eight times larger.

Over the last month have had two incidents when I have found one of my platies dead and almost completly stripped of any finage, tail or scales. In fact the dead fish in question resemble a skinned piece of fish ready to eat!!!! I have watched the fish and my concern is with the larger of the two algae eaters - even though the only aggression I have seen in my tank is between these two fish.

My scissor tails do seemed very subdued and spend a lot of time hidding at the back of the tank - behaviour that has changed dramatically from the very active fish they were when first added!!! All are still alive but I am concerned that they are spending time at the back in order to avoid the other aggressive fish.

I am looking to add more fish over the next few weeks as my tank is now being running for approximately four months the nitate tests etc are all showing a healthy tank and I have a baby platy that is roughly 3/4 of an inch in length and seems to have survived without the aid of a breeding tank or net. So i am reasonably confident that the water quality is good.

What I am concerned about is the following.

Is it normal for dead fish to be maulled by the others in the tank?
    Is this likely to be the algae eaters that have done this?
    Is it likely that the algae eaters killed the fish in the first place?
    And overall do I have a problem or is this just a normal situation?
    If this is something that needs to be sorted out what would you suggest?

As I said before any help will be much appreciated.

2. leafgirl115

leafgirl115Valued MemberMember

Yes its normal if a fish is dead/ or week to be malled by others.
    I would say the other palies killed your died fish. (i have seen it happen in my tank)
    YOur alge eaters will get a lot biger:)

3. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I have checked my books and the Algae Eater I see listed in there grows to 10" and it says "may become aggressive with age". It has a tan/gold body and clear/white fins. It is also listed as "Territorial" and I am wondering if the other fish have been confronted by an aggressive fish when trying to go into what they perceive as their territory and having been harassed are afraid to go near again.

If you are fairly sure that the Algae Eater is being a problem and since it is growing to the point of being too big for your tank, you could see if the pet store will take him back. He will soon be way too overcrowded and then will be a real handful. The tighter the squeeze on aggressive fish, the more aggressive they become.

I hope I have been helpful.

Rose
    ???

4. MaryPa

MaryPaNew MemberMember

Is it normal for dead fish to be maulled by the others in the tank?
    Yes.
    Is this likely to be the algae eaters that have done this?
    Absolutely, they`re very aggressive. Like mentioned they`ll out grow the tank fast.
    Is it likely that the algae eaters killed the fish in the first place?
    Yelpers
    And overall do I have a problem or is this just a normal situation?
    Just get rid of the algae eaters and get a pair of otos.

5. Caitlin Rose

Caitlin RoseNew MemberMember

Yes those algae eaters are quite agressive, They may start out ok, but as they get comfortable and start to grow they become more territorial and just downright bullies. I have had 2 in my fishkeeping history and my second was donated to the LFS just a couple days ago! I have never had one get to the point of sucking off other fishes scales, but have heard this is a common problem once they get big and lose interest in algae. They then go for the sides of fish you may have, and probably did the fins and such once it was dead. I would definitely take the big one, if not both(!) back to the store.