a bit baffled Question

1. lynnie Initiate Member

ok i have a 35 gal tank. i had 13 fish in it and bought new fish. got ich. and because of being in experienced and way to far from fish store. they all died. so i took everything out and boiled it. then i had 4 tinfoil barb and a gold fish given to me ( they arer all okder). they all did fin. then i bought 7 new fish. 4 died in days after putting them in. i seen bubbles on one of my fish last night. i added salt. bubbles are gone. the fish are chasing one another around, my algae eater chases the others around a bit. this happened last time i lost my whole tank. i am worried about ich, but dont want to over treat either. i was wondering if i should just try and raise my water temp it is at 80 right now.all suggestions please!!!!:;fru

2. kelsangdol Member Member

Did you cycle the tank?

3. clownloachy Initiate Member

Raising the water temp works miracles on fish with ich, but with healthy fish, raising the temp above their comfort level and will just stress them out. If your worried about ich, you can keep the water at the higher end of the fishes comfort zone, but not past it! From your aquarium info, i see you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. the cycle is essential in your fishes health! Research it! Google is your friend! Also, mixing tinfoil barbs and goldfish is not a good idea. tinfoils get way to big for a 35er, (about a foot) and goldfish are coldwater, as tinfoils are warm water, so you might want to do something about that.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Lynnie, welcome to fl. :) Please read about the nitrogen cycle. If your tank is cycled, it will be less stressful for the fish, and so they will be less susceptible to disease.

Also, you've been adding a lot of fish at once. It's easy to overwhelm the tank that way.

5. clownloachy Initiate Member

do you quarintine new fish? that might be the problem.