A Betta Question...recommendations/opinions Please

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK so I am organising a third aquarium in the next week or so, its a 15g hexagonal, 24" tall x 18" at widest point, so reasonably roomy.

There will be an assortment of artificial plants and hiding places and of course gravel in black.

I have the possibility of getting a Mustard Veiltail Betta male...see below for a photo of the wee beastie that I could organise, I think its a really quite beautiful colour combination, if a little bit expensive compared to the more plain Betta males I have seen

Now I have never had the pleasure of owning a Betta and I have been told that they are usually happy to share their territory with Rasboras since they share the same in the wild. I'm thinking, if I did get the Betta, a mix of Purple & standard Harlequin Rasbora

Would they live OK in an aquarium of the size I am planning and if so, what would be the absolute maximum number of Rasbora's that the Betta would be comfy to share its home with please?

mustard_veiltail_fighter_betta.jpg

Thank you in advance

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
He is gorgeous, wow! Are you sure he is a veiltail? Just asking because his tail doesn't really look like other VT I've seen. Really beautiful fish.
I can't answer for the raboras, but basically with bettas it's usually hit or miss. He might do fine in a community tank, or might not, so make sure you have a backup tank just in case!

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
According to his current owner, he was bought as a Veiltail for quite a high price...current owner is emigrating at the end of next month and they are a friend of mine who lives a few hundred miles away, so if things happen it will be a logistic nightmare

Betta types are new to me, I have always steered clear of them cos of the many health issues that come with them, but if I can help this one with a new home then I will do

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The betta is not a veiltail, misidentified as one. He's either a super delta or a halfmoon.

It's different for each individual betta whether they tolerate tank mates or not. If not, then you should have a back up tank. Any tank above 2.5 gallons, a betta can live in it.

Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 9 37.5%

Top Bottom