A Beginners 55 - Aka My 2nd Big Mistake - Page 5

Pescado_Verde

I finally got around to messing with my digital camera. It's just better at some things than the phone is but you have to tinker with it a bit to get the results. Phone is just point and shoot.

Anyway, I've had these Furcata Blue Eye Rainbowfish for a little while now and was finally able to get some pictures that I think are a little bit better than what I might have posted previously. Might be. Little fish are just hard to photograph! These guys eyes are just a startling blue color, really hard to capture but some of these aren't terrible.

DSC03607.jpg
DSC03643.jpg
DSC03646.jpg
DSC03647.jpg .

Pescado_Verde

Well it took me a little while but I FINALLY got a half decent shot! Yay me!

furcatablue.jpg

Pescado_Verde

I called into work sick today, stupid allergies are giving me fits. So I had to go to the drugstore to get some remedies and decided to include a trip to PSmart. I couldn't believe my luck, they had a half dozen Harlequin Rasboras so I snagged them all. I've been wanting to add a few to my little school for a while now but every single time I'd go they'd be out. Once they get settled in I'll see if I can't get a decent picture.

Oh, and wouldn't you know it? I'm in the store and run into a co-worker who had run by there on her lunch hour. Oops!

Pescado_Verde

Oh, and the lady who helped me with the fish at PSmart, she's been there 25 years. I didn't even know we'd had one of their stores for that long. When I told her what fish I was looking for she said "Oh, Rasberries! They're the ones with the black pants".

Pescado_Verde

I checked back in this thread and it was 2 months ago to the day that I upgraded my filter and added the Eheim pre-filter. So today for the first time I decided to clean the pre-filter as part of my Saturday routine. It was a slimy, nasty mess but not difficult at all to get out of the tank. I was concerned about that when I first dropped it in, that I was going to hate myself but it turned out fine. I think now that I know it's not hard to do, I will be cleaning it more frequently. Nice to know I kept all that gunk out of the canister plus I'm getting the flow that I was when I first upgraded.

My Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami died this week. He was at the bottom of the tank when I got home from work on Thursday, I thought he was dead but he was just laboring there. I put him in with one of my Betta's as a sort of hospital tank and he appeared to be getting slightly better briefly but passed away while I was at work yesterday. RIP Blue! I accidentally scooped out a Rasbora when I was transferring him so now Runt has a tank mate!

I don't think I'll try to replace Blue, the tank has plenty of livestock as it is and a good number of fry that will reach maturity soon enough. Speaking of which, some of the Molly kids are getting noticeably bigger! A couple are close to the size of the Rasboras and Rainbowfish. At some point I'm going to have stocking issues but not yet!

So it's Saturday and that means WC day and some cleaning. As the truckers would say, catch ya on the flip side!

SaltyPhone

I wish I could keep a journal going like this. I gave up on documenting mine; it thrills me to see you constantly updating yours. The progress looks and sounds amazing!

Pescado_Verde

I wish I could keep a journal going like this. I gave up on documenting mine; it thrills me to see you constantly updating yours. The progress looks and sounds amazing!
Thanks, I appreciate the optimism! When you have a fish croak for no apparent reason it will make you scratch your head. It made me consider getting some clove oil, it's frustrating to watch a fish spend his last day struggling but that raises the question though of when to administer and I don't have the answer to that. It's all a learning experience though and continuing to learn, at any age, is probably an okay thing.
It's 5:30 and I still haven't done my WC, lol. I've been sick all week and don't have much energy. I cleaned all the surfaces, plants, glass etc.. just need to drain and fill. I might later if I feel up to it. I didn't want to go outside, we're getting our little taste of winter in the form of a nasty north wind today. Not really cold but not pleasant out either. I went to the Big Lots around the corner and picked up a bunch of different drugs so I'm hopeful that something will stop the sneezing and runny nose.
Feel free to talk about your fish here, I like to think of the thread as folks dropping by, getting some coffee, seeing my tank and talking fish.

Giul

Thanks, I appreciate the optimism! When you have a fish croak for no apparent reason it will make you scratch your head. It made me consider getting some clove oil, it's frustrating to watch a fish spend his last day struggling but that raises the question though of when to administer and I don't have the answer to that. It's all a learning experience though and continuing to learn, at any age, is probably an okay thing.
It's 5:30 and I still haven't done my WC, lol. I've been sick all week and don't have much energy. I cleaned all the surfaces, plants, glass etc.. just need to drain and fill. I might later if I feel up to it. I didn't want to go outside, we're getting our little taste of winter in the form of a nasty north wind today. Not really cold but not pleasant out either. I went to the Big Lots around the corner and picked up a bunch of different drugs so I'm hopeful that something will stop the sneezing and runny nose.
Feel free to talk about your fish here, I like to think of the thread as folks dropping by, getting some coffee, seeing my tank and talking fish.

Just an FYI I usually read these journal threads on my coffee breaks its been really interesting reading your challenges and solutions

Pescado_Verde

Just an FYI I usually read these journal threads on my coffee breaks its been really interesting reading your challenges and solutions
Ha! Imagine watching a kid splashing about in a bathtub, my aquarium adventures are a lot like that.

Giul

Ha! Imagine watching a kid splashing about in a bathtub, my aquarium adventures are a lot like that.

I’ve been dying to fill my Dad’s 55 but after setting up my Uncle’s I realized that I would have to be on a stool to even gravel vacuum in a controlled manner. Instead I’ll just keep learning from everyone else while I focus on nano tanks

Pescado_Verde

I finally got around to doing my water change and decided out of curiosity that I'd check my water parameters to see if maybe there was something there that led to the demise of my Gourami. I use Equilibrium with each water change to keep the hardness of the water elevated for my livebearers and keep the TDS around 300. When I checked it was at 266 which is about 2dKH off from where I thought it was. Probably not the cause but it did make me realize I need to pay a little closer attention to my chemistry.

Anyway, I've been messing with the camera again and the challenge of getting a good picture of a Rasbora has been eating at me. I probably took 300 pictures between yesterday and today and never got one I was happy with. I got TWO that are okay but both have issues, either bits out of focus or simply out of the frame. Sigh. I'll keep working at it I guess.

Harlequin Rasberry with Black Pants

berry4.jpg

Cheesecake

I read the first page then came to this one. MISTAKE! I was like, where did the new fishies come from?! What happened to the cursed blue gravel?!

Nice tank BTW. Looks like you used a backhoe and dumped a section of a wild stream into your tank lol. Very natural looking ! The brown gravel is definitely better then the blue.

Edit: I'm happy the turtle (excuse me, Harold) made it through the entire journey of this tank.

Pescado_Verde

I read the first page then came to this one. MISTAKE! I was like, where did the new fishies come from?! What happened to the cursed blue gravel?!

Nice tank BTW. Looks like you used a backhoe and dumped a section of a wild stream into your tank lol. Very natural looking ! The brown gravel is definitely better then the blue.

Edit: I'm happy the turtle (excuse me, Harold) made it through the entire journey of this tank.
Yeah, the blue gravel will be gone eventually and then I'll have a tank just like everybody else's.
The "natural" look that I've got going on is all just playing in the dirt so to speak, I think of it kinda like finger painting or a blob of clay. It's just something to mess with and who knows? I might get something that's nicer than what a 4th grader could do. Maybe.

Thanks for stopping by, skip back to about page 5 or so to see when I had the ginormous Sword, lol. That was pretty fun.

Cheesecake

Yeah, the blue gravel will be gone eventually and then I'll have a tank just like everybody else's.
The "natural" look that I've got going on is all just playing in the dirt so to speak, I think of it kinda like finger painting or a blob of clay. It's just something to mess with and who knows? I might get something that's nicer than what a 4th grader could do. Maybe.

Thanks for stopping by, skip back to about page 5 or so to see when I had the ginormous Sword, lol. That was pretty fun.

Didn't think I'd ever see a Sword capable of feeding an entire 4 person family.

I love your fish names . What are they all?

Pescado_Verde

Didn't think I'd ever see a Sword capable of feeding an entire 4 person family.

I love your fish names . What are they all?
They don't all have names, the schooling fish are just all too much alike to identify as individuals. I'm sure their mother would disagree but that's just me.

My stocking right now is a
trunkload of Gold Mickey Mouse Platies w/fry,
4 adult female Mollies, 1 adult male Sailfin Molly w/several juvies.
3 female dwarf Gouramis,
1 Pearl Gourami (pretty sure it's a female)
9 Cory Cats (6 False JulI and 3 Green),
1 Yeller BN Pleco,
a bakers dozen of the Rasboras,
a half dozen Furcata Blue Eyed Rainbowfish,
half dozen Nerite snails,

I think that's about it.

Giul

They don't all have names, the schooling fish are just all too much alike to identify as individuals. I'm sure their mother would disagree but that's just me.

My stocking right now is a
trunkload of Gold Mickey Mouse Platies w/fry,
4 adult female Mollies, 1 adult male Sailfin Molly w/several juvies.
3 female dwarf Gouramis,
1 Pearl Gourami (pretty sure it's a female)
9 Cory Cats (6 False JulI and 3 Green),
1 Yeller BN Pleco,
a bakers dozen of the Rasboras,
a half dozen Furcata Blue Eyed Rainbowfish,
half dozen Nerite snails,

I think that's about it.

Ahh I laughed when I saw a baker’s dozen and that you (of course) have fry and juveniles

Pescado_Verde

Oh, and I found a solution to my problem getting a good picture of a Rasbora - I remembered that I accidentally put one in with my Betta yesterday. He's in a tank with a black background and pretty much stays dead center in the open, I guess he figures he can keep an eye on the Betta that way. So now I can sleep tonight, I got my picture!

pants3.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Ahh I laughed when I saw a baker’s dozen and that you (of course) have fry and juveniles
I fully expect to be looking for a second job by the end of the year so that I can feed all the mouths.

Pescado_Verde

Turned on the lights while I have my morning coffee and I see that the 2 Lilies that I added recently are peeking up above the driftwood already. Keeping my fingers crossed that once they reach full size this is going to end up looking the way I pictured it in my mind.

Pescado_Verde

In an attempt to get all y'all off my aching blue back I've gone ahead and ordered the substrate that I'm going to use to replace what I have in the tank now. So give yourselves a big pat on the back for that!

Now, I don't know what I'm going to do with 75 lbs of fabulous blue gravel except save it and then if the Cowboys make it to the Superbowl again in my lifetime, I'll build a shrine of some sort.

I found a video of some guy explaining how to setup a planted tank and he's using the same gravel that I've ordered, it's the same stuff I have in 2 of my 3 Betta tanks but his video really shows the color better than any pictures I've taken.

I don't quite know when I'll get to swapping the blue stuff out but if I know me I'll get bored sooner rather than later and do it all at one time and kill all of my fish in the process. I will blame you!
J/K!!
Thanks for the harassment, it needed to be done.

midna

I cracked up at the cowboys comment. I actually like the blue gravel and was just messing with you. it does look a bit "off" with all those nice plants and driftwood though! I would be very intimidated trying to replace the substrate in such a big tank... good luck

Giul

In an attempt to get all y'all off my aching blue back I've gone ahead and ordered the substrate that I'm going to use to replace what I have in the tank now. So give yourselves a big pat on the back for that!

Now, I don't know what I'm going to do with 75 lbs of fabulous blue gravel except save it and then if the Cowboys make it to the Superbowl again in my lifetime, I'll build a shrine of some sort.

I found a video of some guy explaining how to setup a planted tank and he's using the same gravel that I've ordered, it's the same stuff I have in 2 of my 3 Betta tanks but his video really shows the color better than any pictures I've taken.

I don't quite know when I'll get to swapping the blue stuff out but if I know me I'll get bored sooner rather than later and do it all at one time and kill all of my fish in the process. I will blame you!
J/K!!
Thanks for the harassment, it needed to be done.

You can use your blue substrate to grow lucky bamboo? I read online that it’s a great substrate for the plant. I might do that when I get rid of the pink and purple substrate in my 20.. too bad my niece would never forgive me for changing it when she’s not ready

Pescado_Verde

I cracked up at the cowboys comment. I actually like the blue gravel and was just messing with you. it does look a bit "off" with all those nice plants and driftwood though! I would be very intimidated trying to replace the substrate in such a big tank... good luck
WHAT? You LIKE it??? Sigh. It's a bit late now.

I've got a plan in my head for how to do it but yeah, like I said, I'll probably go nuts and do more than I should at one time, stir up a bunch of muck and off all my fish. Oh well, I want new fish anyway. J/K

Pescado_Verde

You can use your blue substrate to grow lucky bamboo? I read online that it’s a great substrate for the plant. I might do that when I get rid of the pink and purple substrate in my 20.. too bad my niece would never forgive me for changing it when she’s not ready
I'll have enough gravel to grow a bamboo forest!

Pescado_Verde

I started on my re-do today. I have no idea what I'm doing, lol. Oh, I guess I really do but it is going to look like I don't. While doing my weekly WC today I pulled up most of the plants on the left side of the tank and put them into a bucket of tank water. I started scooping out some of the blue gravel on that side so basically I'd have a small area of bare bottom. This activity really clouded the water up bad so that's where I stopped at and did my drain and fill. A lot of nasty stuff was still suspended in the water but after 7 or so hours it's cleared up for the most part.

Once I got that done I took the plants that I'd pulled out and rubberbanded them to rocks and dropped them back into the tank. I found plants I'd forgotten I'd ever bought and others that I don't know how they got where I found them at. Oh well, I think everyone will be fine as long as I keep the fert levels up.

I guess I'm just going to work at it in bits and pieces. I think next thing to do is to complete the work on the area that I semI cleared today.

One thing I know I'm going to do is flip-flop my 'scape. When this is done all of the driftwood and Val will be on the left so that it flows to the right - the direction the water flows - and a less hardscaped section on the right. I can plant there pretty much as little or as much as I want then and it should be easier access for messing with that stuff.

The idea is to have something like this picture - well, not really but the balance will be similar, with a large blob on the left and then tapering down to not so much blob.

scape.jpg

All of this mind you without blue gravel. Another thought I've had is removing the blue background and going with frosted. I've got a 48" single row LED light that I could put on the back of the tank, at the bottom, and backlight the whole thing. That would just be for effect, not actually lighting the plants for their growth, I'd still be using the big light that I use now for that.

Anyway, it's happening! Hopefully nobody dies and it doesn't turn out looking like poop. And I guess even if it does it won't be blue poop so I've got that going for me.

Giul

I started on my re-do today. I have no idea what I'm doing, lol. Oh, I guess I really do but it is going to look like I don't. While doing my weekly WC today I pulled up most of the plants on the left side of the tank and put them into a bucket of tank water. I started scooping out some of the blue gravel on that side so basically I'd have a small area of bare bottom. This activity really clouded the water up bad so that's where I stopped at and did my drain and fill. A lot of nasty stuff was still suspended in the water but after 7 or so hours it's cleared up for the most part.

Once I got that done I took the plants that I'd pulled out and rubberbanded them to rocks and dropped them back into the tank. I found plants I'd forgotten I'd ever bought and others that I don't know how they got where I found them at. Oh well, I think everyone will be fine as long as I keep the fert levels up.

I guess I'm just going to work at it in bits and pieces. I think next thing to do is to complete the work on the area that I semI cleared today.

One thing I know I'm going to do is flip-flop my 'scape. When this is done all of the driftwood and Val will be on the left so that it flows to the right - the direction the water flows - and a less hardscaped section on the right. I can plant there pretty much as little or as much as I want then and it should be easier access for messing with that stuff.

The idea is to have something like this picture - well, not really but the balance will be similar, with a large blob on the left and then tapering down to not so much blob.

scape.jpg

All of this mind you without blue gravel. Another thought I've had is removing the blue background and going with frosted. I've got a 48" single row LED light that I could put on the back of the tank, at the bottom, and backlight the whole thing. That would just be for effect, not actually lighting the plants for their growth, I'd still be using the big light that I use now for that.

Anyway, it's happening! Hopefully nobody dies and it doesn't turn out looking like poop. And I guess even if it does it won't be blue poop so I've got that going for me.

Best of luck!

Pescado_Verde

Best of luck!
So here's what I've got so far -

dirt.jpg

I need to remove a little bit more gravel, probably about to the halfway mark of the big rock that's in the back and then I'll make a divider to keep the two gravels separated, stick that in there and then put in the new stuff on the left. I'll just continue doing that until I've got all the blue out and the new stuff in.

I wish I had something like a paint brush on a long handle so I could just sort of sweep the odd bits over to one side. I used to have a long handled basting brush for my BBQ pit but I'm pretty sure I gave that away when I sold the pit. Grrr. I hate to buy things that I've owned previously and then gotten rid of. Probably why I try to never get rid of anything, lol. My parents Depression upbringing strikes again!

Fishwifery

I got some aquascaping tools for cheap on amazon. It really helps with upkeep and it has a flat scraper for spreading substrate around.

Pescado_Verde

I got some aquascaping tools for cheap on amazon. It really helps with upkeep and it has a flat scraper for spreading substrate around.
I have a set of the aquascaping tools like that too! I haven't really used them much but I have used the flat scraper and the scissors some. One thing extra that I bought is a ginormous pair of tweezers. They're 24", lol. Ridiculously large but good for picking things out of the tank or for pushing a root tab down around a plant without having to put my hands in the water. One other thing I've found pretty useful is a backscratcher. I don't remember where I got it from, pretty sure it was a Christmas gift at some time but it comes in handy just to reach into the tank to move things around.

Thanks for stopping by!

Fishwifery

lol, those would be good for raking. I like the long tweezers for planting and moving things. My 65 is rather deep so I'd be leaning down up to my armpit to plant by hand.

Pescado_Verde

I finally realized that my fish net makes a good gravel scoop and it also lets the water drain out so that I'm not filling a bucket with gravel AND water. Or at least not as much water.

Pescado_Verde

Welp, Bob died. Noticed as soon as I fed the gang that he was missing and found him wedged between the front glass and one of the driftwood logs. No idea.
He was not a picky eater and I have to wonder if he hasn't been sucking up all the junk that I stirred up with my meddling. Sigh.
Well, there's plenty of his offspring in the tank as it is and I am pretty sure that at least one of them is a male. I guess I'm just going to get used to missing him and give it some time to see if someone steps up to take his place with the lady Mollies. RIP Bob, you big beautiful orange fool.

Giul

Welp, Bob died. Noticed as soon as I fed the gang that he was missing and found him wedged between the front glass and one of the driftwood logs. No idea.
He was not a picky eater and I have to wonder if he hasn't been sucking up all the junk that I stirred up with my meddling. Sigh.
Well, there's plenty of his offspring in the tank as it is and I am pretty sure that at least one of them is a male. I guess I'm just going to get used to missing him and give it some time to see if someone steps up to take his place with the lady Mollies. RIP Bob, you big beautiful orange fool.

Awe, so sad to hear! I’m sure someone else will step up to be the alpha male

Fishwifery

aw, happens to the best of them. I lost my last danio, all three are gone now. Just the two mollies holding down the 65 gallon fort until it's done cycling.

Pescado_Verde

From what I've read Mollies aren't extremely long lived fish at all and Bob was clearly a full grown fish when he arrived here. I'm sure as a fry he was power fed to get him up to size but even then ... all I know is my fry have only just recently displayed the start of a growth spurt and they're several months old and just now getting bigger than the Rasboras and Rainbowfish. He was no spring chicken when I got him. He was a sweet, lovable, funky lipped goofball.

midna

I am so sorry about bob rip bob

Pescado_Verde

Awe, so sad to hear! I’m sure someone else will step up to be the alpha male
Bob was a Sailfin and my understanding is that within a community tank, and actually in the wild as well, there can only be one dominant male for a harem and that the lesser males will either get killed or they will actually suppress expression of their "maleness" to avoid detection and swim with and act like a female. Cross dressers, so to speak, lol.

I've looked at the juveniles, not real closely, but enough to hazard a guess as to their sex and the one that I think might be a male also happens to be the one who looks the most like Bob did. We'll see, we'll see.

Pescado_Verde

I still need to rinse the gravel that I have before I put it in but I've cleared out a spot for the first bag to go. I made a divider out of a piece of cardboard that I'm going to stick in there, I think it will work well enough. The rest of my gravel won't be here for a bit but I figure why not get started? And of course I'm rethinking my whole 'scape plan, lol. I'm thinking maybe just a mountain of wood and plants in the middle with gravel bed to each side with a few plants. I don't know, it's like modeling clay, I'll probably just moosh it around til it looks good.

gravel.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Came home from work, rinsed the 20 lb bag of gravel that I have here and dumper her in. Water got pretty cloudy, guess that's normal though. I've never attempted to put substrate into a full aquarium, lol. Not sure what I expected. Couple of pics.

20190201_193601.jpg

20190201_193655.jpg

Pescado_Verde

gravell.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Haydeno
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies