A Beginners 55 - Aka My 2nd Big Mistake - Page 3

DoubleDutch
Nice mate.

Pescado_Verde
I went a little crazy with the re-do of the right side of the tank. I completely removed the driftwood that had been hiding there and added a rock pile feature. I think I like it, it's a bit cleaner/not so cluttered maybe?

20181110_123011.jpg

I *think* that if I could get some Val to grow in the front left corner to sort of hide the tubing and sponge filter I'd have a pretty decent looking tank that I could live with. For a while.

Oh, and I added 7 small Harlequin Rasboras. Just couldn't stop myself. Might add some more next week. Sorry, not sorry!

Pescado_Verde
I took another picture, trying to convince myself I like the new look I think.

20181110_193112.jpg

Pescado_Verde
"Hey, Verde! What ya doin?"
"Oh, you know, adding more fish"

I bought a dozen furcata blue eyed rainbow fish. Should be here this afternoon. I'm headed to the store as soon as I get off work today to see if they have any more Rasboras.

Big plan for this weekend actually isn't the addition of the new fish, it's going to be upgrading the filter! I've had it here for going on a month now but this will be the first real chance I've had to tear some things down and get this guy online. Roughly 3 times the flow and 6 Liters of media space. That's a gallon and a half of bio ring goodness.

Hopefully this filter will provide enough of what fishes need to keep the tank alive and happy for a long time to come.

Pescado_Verde
My little herd of blue eyes arrived today and man are they TINY. Barely larger than fry! I went to PSmart and picked up what they had in the way of Rasboras so that's going to be it for stocking the 55. Sigh. I kinda hate when a project comes to an end, the process is the fun part! So.... while I was in the store I saw the Bettas and I think I've found my next little friend. I've got a brand new 10 gallon here just waiting for someone to take up residence in it too! Here's a really bad snapshot of the fish I'm looking at.

20181116_180745.jpg

He's a redheaded Dumbo with a white body and fins. There's some red at the base of his fins too and I think I want.

SaltyPhone
Hmmm an empty 10gal? My wife and I get a ton of fun watching “her” African dwarf frogs. Just throwing it out there.

Pescado_Verde
SaltyPhone said:
Hmmm an empty 10gal? My wife and I get a ton of fun watching “her” African dwarf frogs. Just throwing it out there.
Man, I don't know. Can you leave one of them for a week if needed? I feel okay if I leave the fish for a while, I know they'll be hungry but okay. And I've heard a lot of bad luck stories with ADF's, on here and from folks I've talked to at the pet store.

How long has your wife had "hers"?

SaltyPhone
They’ve been around about 10 months. They get fed frozen blood worms every other day. We have no experience with long fasting periods; so no idea if that may be an issue. They are insanely funny to watch though. Also they can be a bit noisy. First water change I did took me aback. I heard a slight hum and thought what the is breaking down.

Pescado_Verde
SaltyPhone said:
They’ve been around about 10 months. They get fed frozen blood worms every other day. We have no experience with long fasting periods; so no idea if that may be an issue. They are insanely funny to watch though. Also they can be a bit noisy. First water change I did took me aback. I heard a slight hum and thought what the is breaking down.
Post up some pics here if you don't mind. I'm pretty set on the Betta but tanks are cheap it's SPACE that is at a premium.

SaltyPhone

1D3AC401-AABA-4330-BC55-19A1C1975457.jpeg
They aren’t very good at “storm the fort”.

8B5A2045-1D3D-479E-B4C3-C334AF877524.jpeg
They do like to cuddle though.

Pescado_Verde
I've thought it over and frogs just aren't for me, at least not right now. There's too many fish and too little time. I appreciate the thought though and I might consider one down the line. Maybe in a smaller setup in the kitchen? Since I moved Carlos into his 10 gallon tank the kitchen HAS been void of pets so....Who knows?

Dorothy B.
I had a dad once who I loved watching. He would swim up and down my hex tall tank. He grew so big that I saw him with the Kuliloach half out of his mouth that I got rid of him and regretted it. I fed him this frog food that was Kuliloach shape. Maybe he just mistook it.

Pescado_Verde
Dorothy B. said:
I had a dad once who I loved watching. He would swim up and down my hex tall tank. He grew so big that I saw him with the Kuliloach half out of his mouth that I got rid of him and regretted it. I fed him this frog food that was Kuliloach shape. Maybe he just mistook it.
Dad?? Lol, I'm trying to figure out what you meant and I'm drawing a blank!

I'm probably overthinking this but is there/are there certain colors that I should want to use on an aquarium for a white and red fish? I think I'm going to go buy that little guy today. I can keep him in another container until I get the 10 gallon set up, I just don't want to build a tank and then go back to the store and him be gone! That would be no bueno.

I threw the 10 gallon together today and picked up my new friend from PSmart. Water is still a bit cloudy and I'm letting the little cup of water with the fish in it acclimate right now. Pics soon to follow!

Okie dokie, well, here's what I got - tank with fish in a cup and a PSmart Anubias Nana!

red.jpg

Fish!

red1.jpg

Same fish, different angle!

red2.jpg

I hope he likes the new home, it's GOT to be better than living in a CUP, right?

Pescado_Verde
Hopefully the water will clear up overnight. I've still got to get the other filter up and running this weekend. Well, don't HAVE to but you know - goals. HA! Anyway... one more pic.

red3.jpg

Dorothy B.
Pescado_Verde said:
Dad?? Lol, I'm trying to figure out what you meant and I'm drawing a blank!

I'm probably overthinking this but is there/are there certain colors that I should want to use on an aquarium for a white and red fish? I think I'm going to go buy that little guy today. I can keep him in another container until I get the 10 gallon set up, I just don't want to build a tank and then go back to the store and him be gone! That would be no bueno.
"Frog"

Green is the complementary color for red..(I've had color theory)

Pescado_Verde
Dorothy B. said:
"Frog"

Green is the complementary color for red..(I've had color theory)
I'm not sure how frog translated to dad but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I'll just let that one go.
I actually looked at some color wheels and realized that I have no sense of fashion. Maybe I need to consult with Joanna Gaines? LOL.

Anyway, water in the 10 seems to be clearer this morning and I'll check on the new guy later.

The big story turned out to be the new filter, holy cow does this thing put out some water compared to the old one! The mass of floating plants that have always been on the far right side of my tank aren't there anymore, the circulation has pushed them out to the middle of the tank.

sunday1118.jpg

The fish as far as I can tell seem to be loving it. The project wasn't without some headaches. After I had everything hooked up I turned it on and no water! The Eheims, at least at this price, don't have a primer, it has to be done manually. I got a trickle started and took a break because my old back was killing me. It was a bit later when I noticed the plants being blown around in the tank and the floaters no longer being on the one side.

I also added an Eheim prefilter to the setup. I think I like it, I guess I'll find out how much I like it when it's time to inspect/clean the sponges.

Ah, and today is water change day. I've been piecing together a larger pump and drain hose and may get to test it out today, the plan being to speed up the time it takes to drain this thing.

Alrighty then, that's all I got right at this moment, more informative than entertaining I guess. I'll leave you with a joke - What is the medical term for when your foot falls asleep?

coma toes

Pescado_Verde
The new guy (as yet unnamed) is doing well and I was able to get a couple of semi-decent pictures of him in action. He's small. Also, his fins are nowhere the size of my other 2 guys' so he is able to swim much better, faster, farther. Also means it's hard to get him to sit still long enough for a phone pic.

red5.jpg

red6.jpg

midna
name him wilbur or willis

Pescado_Verde
midna said:
name him wilbur or willis
I'm thinking "Runt", for a couple of reasons. 1) His size 2) This...

runt.jpg

Pescado_Verde
My female gold sailfin Molly died this past Sunday, quite unexpectedly. She and Bob were swimming around together as usual early on in the day but that afternoon I noticed him swimming alone. I didn't think much of it but after a little bit I got curious because they were never apart for long. Sigh. I couldn't find her anywhere but with my eyesight and the plants and rocks etc... I'm not surprised at that. I finally found her floating on Tuesday.
I knew she was gone already on Sunday though when she was nowhere to be found. Bob, poor Bob. He was swimming around pretty frantically without his lady friend, glass surfing a bit and doing a bit of a Molly dance. I went to PSmart and picked up 2 females to keep him company but he's not shown any interest in them yet. They may not yet be sexually mature, he's more interested in the female Platies in the tank.
Doris (the Molly) I'd only had 4 or so months. She was full grown when I got her so not really sure how old she was but she had shown no signs or odd behaviors to indicate that she might pass.
RIP Doris, you beautiful little fish! (Doris on the left in better times)

BobAndDoris.jpg

Pescado_Verde
The two new Mollies are doing well though Bob doesn't seem to have much interest in either one of them. One seems to maybe be trying to get his attention but I can't be sure, she seems to be flirting with every fish in the tank, lol. Anyway, I spent a good bit of time cleaning today. After being out of state for over a week and coming back to a busy schedule and the Thanksgiving holiday things had gotten a bit ragged in the aquatic world here.
Remember that ginormous Amazon Sword that I had bought? Well I finally got in there and removed the baby sword that had been growing for who knows how long. The roots on the thing are probably 7-8 inches long and a big mess of them too. I pruned it up some and buried it in the gravel. Not sure if I'll leave it there but it needed to come off of the mother plant and I hate to throw away a perfectly good plant. Maybe if I get around to building one of the 20's I've got here I can throw it in there. So, that's about it here for this week. A picture of mama sword and her baby to close this report. (Yeah, I need to smooth out the gravel a bit and clean up some of the roots that are sticking out)

Swordbaby.jpg

midna
I love those swords!!!!! you must be doing something right.

Pescado_Verde
midna said:
I love those swords!!!!! you must be doing something right.
Thanks! It's probably all the over fertilizing. I did put some root tabs around the roots a couple of times but the baby has just been feeding from the water column. We'll see how it does now that it's on its own.
One thing I think the Swords do like is the harder water. I think since I started adding the Equilibrium to the tank they, the Wisteria, the Vals and the Java Fern have really perked up. The Anubias on the other hand doesn't seem to like it much. I had a Lily that was going crazy too but when I pulled it up to stick behind Harold's rock I think it lifted up out of the substrate and it kinda went downhill. There's a little bit of it left so maybe it will come back, I gave it some love today too while I was messing with all of it.
OH! And one of my new Mollies is in the picture there! At the bottom right of the baby sword, she's got a black lyretail behind and a freckled orange head. I didn't even notice she was photobombing me until after I posted.
I'll probably make another update tomorrow, I have to give the new guys tank a good cleaning. I went a little overboard on the lighting in his tank and holy moley did the algae ever take off, lol. I dropped a couple Nerites in there but yeah, it's funky and needs a scrubbing - and it's only been 2 weeks!
Thanks for dropping by, hope all is well with you!

BrandedUW
Pescado_Verde said:
I divorced the first one, let's hope this goes better.

First you make a roux...

Oops, wrong forum! Let's try again...

First you get a glass box. I found mine on Craigslist, it's a 1970's era beast and the sucker selling it only wanted $100 for the glass box with base and they threw in delivery and a 200W heater.
I was all...

addemx.jpg

I knew I needed a filter and a light so Amazon to the rescue! I was going to go with a HOB and looked into the biowheels but a coworker extolled the virtues of a canister filter to the point that I had to have one. The Eheim Classic 350 was delivered within 2 days, praise be to Prime!

Next came the light. My $200 budget for this project was already blown all to heck so I had to go cheap here. Even though I want plants it's my first tank and so there's no reason YET to go full moron. There will be plenty of time for that later, right? I had read some good things about Current USA's line of aquarium lights and found their Satellite LED on Amazon for $39. Who could pass that up? BAM! 2 days later it's in the house! Oh Prime, how do I love thee? Let me count the dollars!

So here's what I started with: glass box, base, light, filter and a couple pieces of blue poster board from HEB for the background.

3097via.jpg

I wanted a natural looking substrate and the woman at the LFS said they had a buff colored coarse sand they had been carrying for 30 years that was their best seller and that I would love it. Awesome. Only when I got there she told me that their supplier had stopped carrying it as of this past week and that she had some others she could show me. Okay, well, I wasn't dead set on that so let's see what you've got! White? No, shows dirt too easily? Dark brown pebble? No, I want something a little bit brighter. How about this BLUE AND WHITE MIX? Oh yes, holy mother of Neptune it's so NATURAL looking! Yeah, no, whatever. I need a substrate, have you got 75 lbs of it? Yes? Great, I'll take it.

2upssuh.jpg

I've got a few pieces of wood that I siliconed to rocks to keep them on the bottom while they get waterlogged and a handful of larger rocks. I dare to call this an aquascape.

ixgtgg.jpg

The turtle may or may not be a permanent fixture. He's growing on me.

Oh, and I had thrown in a couple of airstones because what self respecting aquarium doesn't have at least one airstone, right? They're out of sight but trust me, they're there and they're awesome!

Okay, let's add water!

n6q42s.jpg

Yes, that's Harold (the turtle) being useful and holding the hose down while the tank fills.

So here's the finished 55. This color scheme is like some aquatic homage to the Dallas Cowboys, yes? I just need to paint a big star on that rock on the right and maybe drop in a laminated picture of Roger Staubach to complete the look.

fp5jyq.jpg

I of course added tap water conditioner and it's been 24 hours now so I went back this morning and picked up my 10 Zebra Danios and a sprig of Anacharis. They're floating now and will soon be released into the blueness.

It may be a while before I update this thread as for now I am done with the tank. The LFS will be checking my water and advising on that so until the tank is cycled and I can add stock there won't be much to report.

I hope you enjoyed this or at least found it a bit entertaining and thanks to all who post here for giving me the courage to embark upon this journey, you truly are inspirational.
I'm still waiting to hear how the roux turned out. Are we making Gumbo?

Pescado_Verde
BrandedUW said:
I'm still waiting to hear how the roux turned out. Are we making Gumbo?
If you like gumbo but hate to make roux, Alton Brown does it in the oven and it's pretty foolproof. It takes a good bit longer - an hour and a half as compared to 45 minutes if you do it stovetop/old school style - but it makes a great dark roux that is easy enough for anyone to try. And that's important for folks who don't have the culinary gene, like me. Bon appetit!

BrandedUW
Pescado_Verde said:
If you like gumbo but hate to make roux, Alton Brown does it in the oven and it's pretty foolproof. It takes a good bit longer - an hour and a half as compared to 45 minutes if you do it stovetop/old school style - but it makes a great dark roux that is easy enough for anyone to try. And that's important for folks who don't have the culinary gene, like me. Bon appetit!

So interesting. I do love Alton Brown but hadn't seen that method yet. I kind of like the roux portion of making Gumbo. It's kind of like an art form it seems. Plus it makes you feel like you really, truly slaved over the stove all day, haha.
Oh, and your tank is looking good by the way.

Pescado_Verde
BrandedUW said:
So interesting. I do love Alton Brown but hadn't seen that method yet. I kind of like the roux portion of making Gumbo. It's kind of like an art form it seems. Plus it makes you feel like you really, truly slaved over the stove all day, haha.
Oh, and your tank is looking good by the way.
If you've ever scorched a roux even slightly you know how much it will throw off the flavor. Might as well throw it out and start over. If your oven will keep a good even temp then his way is almost foolproof. And you can be doing other more useful things in the meantime, like reading on FishLore.

BrandedUW
Pescado_Verde said:
If you've ever scorched a roux even slightly you know how much it will throw off the flavor. Might as well throw it out and start over. If your oven will keep a good even temp then his way is almost foolproof. And you can be doing other more useful things in the meantime, like reading on FishLore.
Haha, well that would be useful then. I haven't burned one yet, but it's probably only a matter of time. Being able to multitask would be nice. Water change while the roux is cooking maybe?

Jellibeen
BrandedUW said:
Haha, well that would be useful then. I haven't burned one yet, but it's probably only a matter of time. Being able to multitask would be nice. Water change while the roux is cooking maybe?
Water change while cooking roux sounds like a recipe for burnt roux.

Pescado_Verde
Jellibeen said:
Water change while cooking roux sounds like a recipe for burnt roux.
That's the beauty of doing it in the oven! If you're going to be in another room carry a kitchen timer with you. DING! Roux time!

Pescado_Verde
So last week when my Molly disappeared one of my dwarf gouramis did too. Never did find her, I just figured she'd well you know, dissolved or whatever. Nope. She showed back up today! I did a deep clean on my tank just yesterday looking for her carcass as I went and nowhere to be found. She shows up at feeding time tonight frisky as ever and sporting a new tattoo and a "I Heart Las Vegas" t-shirt. Crazy.

BrandedUW
Pescado_Verde said:
So last week when my Molly disappeared one of my dwarf gouramis did too. Never did find her, I just figured she'd well you know, dissolved or whatever. Nope. She showed back up today! I did a deep clean on my tank just yesterday looking for her carcass as I went and nowhere to be found. She shows up at feeding time tonight frisky as ever and sporting a new tattoo and a "I Heart Las Vegas" t-shirt. Crazy.
Haha! That's crazy. That's a decent sized fish to be hiding out that long.

Pescado_Verde
BrandedUW said:
Haha! That's crazy. That's a decent sized fish to be hiding out that long.
Yep. And I was actively keeping an eye out, whenever I'd look at the tank I'd try to get a count of the dwarfs and only counted 2 for nearly a week. I'm pretty convinced that he snuck out and then back in.

Took a trip to PSmart today just to get out of the house. It's cold and miserable outside today. Brrr. Anyway, I didn't NEED anything, of course not, but I ended up getting 3 more snails. One Nerite Racer, one Zebra and one Tiger. I probably ought to just start a snail tank. I've got a 20Long near a window sitting empty. That'd probably be a good spot, would grow plenty of algae for sure. Hmmm....

Pescado_Verde
My new guy, "Runt", is really starting to come into his own! He's coloring up! His previously white body is turning BLUE! This is a terrible picture because he just wouldn't sit still with me in front of his tank but you can kinda get the idea.

runtblue.jpg

BrandedUW
Pescado_Verde said:
My new guy, "Runt", is really starting to come into his own! He's coloring up! His previously white body is turning BLUE! This is a terrible picture because he just wouldn't sit still with me in front of his tank but you can kinda get the idea.

runtblue.jpg
Sometimes they just don't want their photo taken! Looks like he's going to be a pretty boy though.

Pescado_Verde
I finally got him to hold still for a second after a water change today, lol. Not the greatest photo ever but I can live with it.

runtblue2.jpg

Pescado_Verde
Runt was in an agreeable mood tonight I guess, he gave me a few good pictures to share.

20181215_191926.jpg

20181215_192412.jpg

20181215_193407.jpg

BrandedUW
Pescado_Verde said:
Runt was in an agreeable mood tonight I guess, he gave me a few good pictures to share.

20181215_191926.jpg

20181215_192412.jpg

20181215_193407.jpg
Very pretty indeed!

midna
Pescado_Verde said:

20181215_191926.jpg

20181215_192412.jpg

20181215_193407.jpg
he is so pretty!!

Pescado_Verde
midna said:
he is so pretty!!
He's really got a lot of personality too. Neither of my other 2 ever flare and Runt will get all up in his own grill (reflection), lol. I really, really want to get a picture of him with his fins on full display. He's a little ****. When I first got him he would hide behind the rocks and driftwood quite a bit but now? He's front and center and ready to interact whenever I'm close by.

Pescado_Verde
I've been remiss in my duties to promote all of my fish and so I snapped picture of a few of the Rasboras and also a shot of one of the 2 lady Mollies that I got to keep Bob company since Doris passed away. He still doesn't pay any attention to them but that's on him. Bob apparently ain't the brightest guy in the water. Anyway, here's a couple new photos.

20181217_202355.jpg

20181217_202334.jpg

Pescado_Verde
I've been trying to get a picture to upload of my blue eyed rainbow fish and not having much luck using the phones camera. They're small and fast which isn't ideal. I'd use my digital camera but the card reader is wacked at the moment and a new one won't be here for a few more days. They like to occupy pretty much the same space as the Rasboras so please pardon them for photobombing this shot.

20181223_143447.jpg

These guys really do have the most incredible blue eyes. When they catch the light just right they're like lapis or a blue sapphire.

Pescado_Verde
I bought some False JuliI cory cats a few months back but they didn't really have enough to create a good group and when I went back they didn't have any and haven't since so I bought Green Cory cats to add to the herd. These guys are much more "fish" like than the Julii's. They'll swim around quite a bit at times and can really haul at times as though their hair is on fire (if they had hair of course). They will graze with the Julii's when it's feeding time though so it's a shoal of sorts I guess. As for the "Green" part of their name, they do flash a bit of emerald green on their sides when the light hits them just right but otherwise are a bit plain. The striping you see in the picture isn't nearly as visible when just glancing at them.

20181223_150553.jpg

SaltyPhone
Corys are a good bit of fun indeed!

Pescado_Verde
A little photo update just to keep this thread from falling off the map completely! I moved Harold a hair to one side, I never really liked where I had him exactly, he just kind of wound up there with out much thought to a specific spot. Whatever, lol. Any excuse to put my hands in the tank. One of the snails decided Harold needed a cleaning so I got a nice picture of that and then a couple of the Mollies. I don't have any clue how these things were bred but they're some sort of Frankenfish. The front half is almost balloon Molly and the back half is I don't even know. Okay, enough chit-chat, picture time!

20181231_215405.jpg

20181231_220729.jpg

20181231_220732.jpg

20181231_220906.jpg

20181231_220925.jpg

20181231_221009.jpg

20181231_2209061.jpg

Pescado_Verde
And I decided I'm going to pull up the big Amazon Sword plant. I guess I'll have to just pitch it, no place to keep it, it's 20" or so tall. Some of the other plants are taking off and I don't feel like I need it now. I added it and liked it but now? I just think it's a bit much. Well, okay, I've known it all along but just now decided to do something. I have a couple of Dwarf Water Lilies on the way. I think they'll add some color and not be quite so obnoxious. The shoots will fill some of the vertical space in a month or so but the plant won't take up so much real estate from left to right. Also, the Sag on the right side of the tank is really starting to spread and I think I want to let it get a little more of the spotlight. So here's the tank today - once I get the new plants in I'll post an update.

20181231_222059.jpg

midna
sell that dang plant! I think people would pay a lot for it. honestly I wouldnt get rid of it.

Pescado_Verde
midna said:
sell that dang plant! I think people would pay a lot for it. honestly I wouldnt get rid of it.
Selling it sounds like a lot of work in my head, lol. There's a pawn shop not too far away...

midna
Pescado_Verde said:
Selling it sounds like a lot of work in my head, lol. There's a pawn shop not too far away...
get a box from usps for free. get insulation and maybe a heat pack from usps. charge for however much the supplies cost you + priority or first class shipping. I bet someone would pay $20 for it. i'd hate to know such a beautiful plant got tossed in the trash!

Pescado_Verde
midna said:
get a box from usps for free. get insulation and maybe a heat pack from usps. charge for however much the supplies cost you + priority or first class shipping. I bet someone would pay $20 for it. i'd hate to know such a beautiful plant got tossed in the trash!
I haven't pulled it out yet and Petco does have their 20 talls on sale a dollar a gallon, lol.

Top Bottom