A Beginners 55 - Aka My 2nd Big Mistake - Page 2

Dorothy B.
Wow, it's wonderful!
...and 2 more tanks, how's your wife taking your new love?

Pescado_Verde
Dorothy B. said:
Wow, it's wonderful!
...and 2 more tanks, how's your wife taking your new love?
You're adorable.

NanaW
Beautiful ! Now start another and send me this one lol

Pescado_Verde said:
MAJOR KEY ALERT!! - KEEP ADDING PLANTS AND FISH!!!

A picture of my wall of fish - the 2 Bettas, Carlos and Eddie in their 10 gallon jugs on the left and the 55 on the right.

20180925_204630.jpg

The 55, I did a little rescaping - added the ginormous sword in the middle, there's a couple of dwarf chain swords underneath Harold now and I took out an Anubias and some of the Wisteria on the right to open that up a little.

20180925_204811.jpg

A little better look at the right side, I got some wacky plant stuff going on there now. I added a crypt and my Java Fern is getting ..weird.

20180925_205027.jpg

A closer look at the Java Fern "babies"? I don't know, it's got leaves sprouting all over it. I guess I'll just let it do whatever and see what happens, I got no place to put more of them so they're on they own now!

20180925_190838.jpg

Current fish stock:
1 Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami
1 Pearl Gourami
3 Dwarf Gourami
11 Zebra Danios, 3 Green, 7 Red and one standard - his name is "Crash"
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 False JuliI aka Leopard Cory cats - there were 6, for some reason 4 died within a week of getting in the pool. The survivors are doing just fine so I don't know what happened there.
3 adult Gold Mickey Mouse Platies
5 juvenile Gold Mickey Mouse Platies
2 Gold Sailfin Mollies - 1 male, 1 female, hoping they'll breed
Few dozen pond snails too small to care much about
1 Zebra Nerite

I plan to add a few more of the JuliI cories at some point to give them a small shoal and I have some Red and Gold Racer Nerites on the way, should have them in a few days.

That's pretty much it. I figure if the Mollies breed and the Platies do what the Platies do I'll be overrun with fish soon enough.

I've got 2 20 gallons and a 10 gallon sitting on another wall ready to get filled up with goodies, no hurry there. I need something to keep me busy thru the winter months. I've got their filters, backgrounds, substrates, driftwood, rocks, heaters, pretty much everything already. Just trying to figure out what I want to stock them with though I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Betta from Space City Fish and Coral for the other 10 gallon tank. Their fish are pretty amazing.

I'm pooped, let's call it a night, k?
Baby Java Ferns !!!!

Pescado_Verde
NanaWells said:
Baby Java Ferns !!!!
I'm not running a home for wayward ferns here, you want to adopt one? Any idea what they'll do if I don't separate them from the main plant? Will the leaf they're on eventually shrivel and the babies drop off? I have no idea what to expect.

Dorothy B.
I'll adopt!

Pescado_Verde
I'm housebroke but that's about it.

Eddie don't get much love in this thread, I don't know if it's because of his coloration or the fact that he's always in motion but it's just hard to get a decent picture of the little guy. Anyway, I tried and here's what I got.

Eddie do love him some Eddie!

20180926_214127.jpg

Eddie-ing around.

20180926_214136.jpg

My sister said he looks like a man wearing a tutu.

20180926_214143.jpg

max h
55 is a nice size tank, if I had to do it all over again I would skip the 55 and go straight to a 75. Same lenght but the extra 6" in width makes a huge difference on what you can stock and scaping options. My 3 tanks are 12, 18, and 24" widths and the 24 is great as far as options for scaping. Big pieces of drift wood without feeling like they are right in your face and the fish still get plenty of swimming room.

NanaW
Pescado_Verde said:
Eddie don't get much love in this thread, I don't know if it's because of his coloration or the fact that he's always in motion but it's just hard to get a decent picture of the little guy. Anyway, I tried and here's what I got.

20180926_214127.jpg

Eddie-ing around.

20180926_214136.jpg

20180926_214143.jpg
Hmmm I could see it

Pescado_Verde said:

20180926_214127.jpg

Eddie-ing around.

20180926_214136.jpg

20180926_214143.jpg
He is a Beauty

Pescado_Verde
max h said:
55 is a nice size tank, if I had to do it all over again I would skip the 55 and go straight to a 75. Same lenght but the extra 6" in width makes a huge difference on what you can stock and scaping options. My 3 tanks are 12, 18, and 24" widths and the 24 is great as far as options for scaping. Big pieces of drift wood without feeling like they are right in your face and the fish still get plenty of swimming room.
Yep. The 21" vertical is about all I'd want just because I don't feel like being up to my armpits in water but a few extra inches front to back sure would be nice. Trying to create a sense of depth isn't easy, particularly for a beginner.

Dorothy B.
Pescado_Verde said:

20180926_214127.jpg

Eddie-ing around.

20180926_214136.jpg

20180926_214143.jpg
Your sister is right. Eddie does look like a man in a tutu!

Pescado_Verde said:
I'm housebroke but that's about it.
ops:

Pescado_Verde
AAAAaaaannndddd I've got more fry. It's got to be more Platies. I don't know how I feel about having a tank overrun with Platies, which is surely what's going to happen long term. Sigh. More mouths to feed. I guess this means I'll go to work on Monday, babies are gonna need shoes.

NanaW
Pescado_Verde said:
AAAAaaaannndddd I've got more fry. It's got to be more Platies. I don't know how I feel about having a tank overrun with Platies, which is surely what's going to happen long term. Sigh. More mouths to feed. I guess this means I'll go to work on Monday, babies are gonna need shoes.
You have a very fertile tank first baby Java ferns now new fry oh my what next wife ??? Lol

Pescado_Verde
NanaWells said:
You have a very fertile tank first baby Java ferns now new fry oh my what next wife ??? Lol
Let's not get carried away now, okay? lol. Happy bachelor here, thought my OP would be a clue.

If they don't get eaten by the other denizens at Casa Verde I guess I'll eventually find out what sort of fish babies I've got but they don't look like the last ones. I pushed my nose up against the glass and looked as well as I can and they don't all look alike whereas the last batch pretty much all did. Some of these are dark, some are light and some are light head with a dark body. I've only had the cory cats for a very short while, maybe I got a pregnant one in the batch that I bought? I don't think my Molly has been pregnant. I don't know, it's a mystery at this point.

RainBetta
Pescado_Verde said:
Hey! You could feed them to the bettas if you feel comfortable. Not saying that it's necessarily the right thing to do, but if you ever doooooooo need to......

Pescado_Verde
RainBetta said:
Hey! You could feed them to the bettas if you feel comfortable. Not saying that it's necessarily the right thing to do, but if you ever doooooooo need to......
It wouldn't bother me but I just don't have any interest in doing that. The Betta's have a good diet and are healthy, I don't want to risk messing that up. I do wonder though what happens to a tank with livebearers in it over the long haul - Do they just keep breeding until they reach a critical mass? Growth get stunted? Disease outbreaks? Breeding/birthing rates slow/stop?

It's water change day here at Casa de Verde and the tap water is a full 5 degrees cooler than it was just a few weeks ago, it's down to a chilly 81F! Wooo-hoooo! I'll only have to wait a couple of hours for my buckets to chill instead of all day! Progress, it's progress I keep telling myself.

You want snails? We got snails! You get a snail! And YOU get a snail! You, yes you in the back! You get a snail!

DSC03228.jpg

DSC03224.jpg

DSC03222.jpg

NanaW
Pescado_Verde said:
You want snails? We got snails! You get a snail! And YOU get a snail! You, yes you in the back! You get a snail!

DSC03228.jpg

DSC03224.jpg

DSC03222.jpg
No nada snails for me

Pescado_Verde
I found the battery charger for my digital camera that's about 10 years old. It doesn't have the resolution that the phone camera has but it does a few things better so I took a bunch of shots of the fish fishing around, culled through those and found a couple that aren't terrible.

This one, I didn't even notice Gollum stuck on the rock until I was editing. He's sneaky. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it already but I've named the Gold Sailfin Molly pair, Bob and Doris. They're just like an old married couple. Always together and if there's a buffet you can bet they'll be there.

DSC03238.jpg

Doris checking out Snoops butt, Bob keeping an eye on Doris.

DSC03263.jpg

The two big guys in the tank. Assuming that Snoop actually is a boy fish.

DSC03264.jpg

More Snoop because, why not?

DSC03271.jpg

More Bob and Doris. He doesn't let her out of his sight. Can you blame him?

DSC03301.jpg

SaltyPhone
I really enjoy these updates; In the western part of N.C. it’s difficult to find fellow hobbyist. Let a lone ones with a sense of humor. I sincerely look forward to the updates. As a side note I’ve literally got my wife’s Betta Schezwan eating from my hand.

Pescado_Verde
One more of Mr. & Mrs. Goldfin. I can't stop playing with the camera!!!

DSC03338.jpg

SaltyPhone said:
I really enjoy these updates; In the western part of N.C. it’s difficult to find fellow hobbyist. Let a lone ones with a sense of humor. I sincerely look forward to the updates. As a side note I’ve literally got my wife’s Betta Schezwan eating from my hand.
One of my 2 Betta's scares me, lol. He'll nip at my hand trying to get to the food.

I can't remember if I told you I had lived in NC. Spent about 5 years there, north of Durham in Roxboro. Loved the people there, the fantastic weather and the amazing wildlife and outdoors. I traveled thru western NC on occasion but never really spent any time there. Worked some north of Charlotte too, Kannapolis/Concord area. Always wanted to go to Love Valley but never made it.

Dorothy B.
Pescado_Verde said:

DSC03228.jpg

DSC03224.jpg

DSC03222.jpg
I do!

Pescado_Verde
Dorothy B. said:
I just ordered more Nerites. I'm hopeless! Hopeless I tell ya!

Anyway, it's been a couple of weeks since I updated this so I'll post a current picture and then blab for a bit about what's going on.

20181013_120153.jpg

I haven't added any stock to my tank in a while but that's going to change in the next week or so. More snails, more False JuliI Cory cats and more BN Plecos on the way. Also getting a larger filter. Same brand, same line of filters, just more capacity and more flow. As far as the plants go I have a few ideas that I may work on a month or so from now. The dwarf water lily on the left side is getting kinda big and between that and the Wisteria they're blocking that side of the tank where Harold lives on his rock. Idea is to pluck the plants and move Harold and the rock forward a bit and repot the plants behind that. Should open up the viewable space a little bit. I think it will be more interesting that way at least so we'll see. Not for a while yet though. I'm leaving in a couple weeks to go spend some time with my son and his family out of state so right now I'm just trying to keep things static and stable. So that's about it. I'm sure I'll go on a picture binge once I get some new critters! Thanks for stopping by when you do and for however long you do, I appreciate the comments, advice and laughs.

SaltyPhone
Life’s a garden; dig it! Always enjoy reading the updates yo! I still scratch my head looking at that substrate though haha!

Dorothy B.
Pescado_Verde said:
I just ordered more Nerites. I'm hopeless! Hopeless I tell ya!

Anyway, it's been a couple of weeks since I updated this so I'll post a current picture and then blab for a bit about what's going on.

20181013_120153.jpg

I haven't added any stock to my tank in a while but that's going to change in the next week or so. More snails, more False JuliI Cory cats and more BN Plecos on the way. Also getting a larger filter. Same brand, same line of filters, just more capacity and more flow. As far as the plants go I have a few ideas that I may work on a month or so from now. The dwarf water lily on the left side is getting kinda big and between that and the Wisteria they're blocking that side of the tank where Harold lives on his rock. Idea is to pluck the plants and move Harold and the rock forward a bit and repot the plants behind that. Should open up the viewable space a little bit. I think it will be more interesting that way at least so we'll see. Not for a while yet though. I'm leaving in a couple weeks to go spend some time with my son and his family out of state so right now I'm just trying to keep things static and stable. So that's about it. I'm sure I'll go on a picture binge once I get some new critters! Thanks for stopping by when you do and for however long you do, I appreciate the comments, advice and laughs.
Wow! It's come a long way.
You know you can improve on the filter you already have. I'll find the YouTube video that gives details next week.

Dorothy B.
Here it is.

Pescado_Verde
There's a guy with a YouTube channel, PondGuru, he's got some good ideas on pimping out filters. I just think I'd like more flow out of what I have. The Eheims are great filters but the Classic doesn't seem to have a lot of flow. The next size up has about 3 times the flow rate which compared to a HOB still isn't really a high flow rate.

Anyway, I was messing with the Betta Boys, Carlos and Eddie and Eddie finally sat still long enough for me to get a picture. His fins are so big that if he's moving at all, they're a blur.

20181015_194835.jpg

Gollum came out at feeding time, he's not shy about getting to the feed trough and I snapped a shot of him too. Question: Do female BN's have the bristles at all? 'Cause I notice some stubs on Gollum and am wondering if maybe it's a boy. Thoughts anyone?

20181016_200537.jpg

Pescado_Verde
Carlos must have heard I'd posted a picture of Eddie and got jealous. He was posing big time tonight. Click on the photo and then the little arrow in the upper right hand corner to get the full Carlos effect.

20181017_212757.jpg

NanaW
Pescado_Verde said:
Carlos must have heard I'd posted a picture of Eddie and got jealous. He was posing big time tonight. Click on the photo and then the little arrow in the upper right hand corner to get the full Carlos effect.

20181017_212757.jpg
oh how I wish I could get Sidney to pose he does pose but as soon as I get the camera out he disappears into his log the little booger

Pescado_Verde
Gollum is growing like a weed, I swear! I added a couple of yellow BN's this past week, I'll try to get some pictures soon.

20181018_174743.jpg

Waterloo
So pretty! I could happily have a whole fish room dedicated to plecos lol love them all

Pescado_Verde
And I know it's a fish but I swear he's making puppy dog eyes at me in that picture.

Fanatic
It's looking great!

Pescado_Verde
Waterloo said:
So pretty! I could happily have a whole fish room dedicated to plecos lol love them all
They're definitely different looking! I hardly saw Gollum for some time after I first got him but now he's one of the first to the feeding zone and he makes sure to get his share.

One of the Leopard Cories, they've put on some weight and size just since I got them too.

cory.jpg

Dorothy B.
I used to feed my common pleco zucchini, mushrooms, and spinach. It saved my plants.

Pescado_Verde
Dorothy B. said:
I used to feed my common pleco zucchini, mushrooms, and spinach. It saved my plants.
I think everyone in this tank likes veggies or algae wafers. Mollies, Platies, Gourami's, Plecos, they will all spend a lot of time grazing on plant based foods.

Dorothy B.
My pleco used to hang from the zucchinI and mushrooms. I would just cut a piece, wash it and throw it in. It floats. I read online to blanch it but I never did. I think it will sink if you du but my guy liked his floating.

Pescado_Verde
One of my BN's was working on a piece of driftwood during dinner time. Not a great picture, he has the look on his face of someone who's been busted.

pineapple.jpg

This is the smaller of the 2, he might be an inch and a half long. I haven't seen the other one in a couple of days, he may be more nocturnal.

Dorothy B.
I have bristle nose too but I'm not as clever as you with names.

Giul
I just read through this whole thread and I love it. Sounds like you’re having lots of fun

Dorothy B.
How do you get such good pics? Your fish family pose for them. This is what mine do.

Pescado_Verde
Dorothy B. said:
How do you get such good pics? Your fish family pose for them. This is what mine do.
Most of mine are taken during feeding time. I feed the fish on top water and at the bottom of the tank. It gets them conditioned to being comfortable with me there right up against the glass with the phone in hand. And then it's just a matter of taking lots and lots of pictures and picking thru them to find one that's worth posting. I also crop the heck out of the pictures, try to remember to keep the glass clean.

Pescado_Verde
I've been out of town since Sunday. I wish now that I had a webcam installed so that I could watch what was going on with my tanks. I won't be back until this next Monday either. Hang in there guys!

SaltyPhone
Nanny cam for the fishes. I’d love to see the Babies r us sales associates face on that one XD

Bry
First time reading this thread, and it's a good read lol. I can't wait to see more updates.

Pescado_Verde
Bry said:
First time reading this thread, and it's a good read lol. I can't wait to see more updates.
This is my first time being away from the house since I started keeping fish. I hope that my next update isn't a body count.

SadieCM
These updates are hysterical. Nice looking tank and fish! Keep us posted...

DoubleDutch
Pescado_Verde said:
This is my first time being away from the house since I started keeping fish. I hope that my next update isn't a body count.
Uhhh that's for months then? Were you in jail ?

Pescado_Verde
DoubleDutch said:
Uhhh that's for months then? Were you in jail ?
No, just Mississippi. So, kinda I guess.

All the fish are fine though a bit shocked to see me again. I think they thought they had won.

Pescado_Verde
I woke up about 4 this morning and decided to play in the tank a little bit. Moved Harold the turtle and his rock as previously discussed and trimmed and moved some Wisteria and the Lily. I'll get some pictures to post once the water has cleared up some or I might wait until after a full cleaning on the weekend.

Pescado_Verde
Okay, I took a couple of snapshots of the tank. First one is the left side where I moved Harold up to the glass so he can see and the other is the full tank.

20181109_051208.jpg

20181109_050711.jpg

It's a bit unbalanced this way and now I'm not happy with the right side of the tank, lol. There's a piece of driftwood on the right side of the tank at the back that I'm thinking of moving. Idea is to place it at an angle from the front right corner to the back wall of the tank and move the plants that are currently in the right corner a little more along the front glass. Shrug. We'll see!

Oh, also thinking about Harlequin Rasboras. Maybe a fairly large school in the 55 or starting one of the vacant 20 longs as a Rasbora tank. I saw a video of a school of 200 of them in a large tank and it was pretty spectacular.

Top Bottom