A Beginners 55 - Aka My 2nd Big Mistake - Page 15

Pescado_Verde
I bought some new fish yesterday! Over time it seems that I have lost a number of small fish, some of the Harlequin Rasboras and the dozen little rainbow fish have all gradually passed on. It's such a gradual thing that if you're not paying close attention you don't really even notice them disappearing one by one. Anyway, I guess that's just part of keeping fish, many of them just don't have long lifespans. My livebearers do tend to replenish themselves though and so I bought some more of them yesterday - Guppies and some Gold Mickey Mouse Platies. I have a half dozen or so of the Platies already but they add such a nice burst of color to the tank and are so low maintenance that for where I'm at they're just an easy decision.

I added a few guppies to the 55 some months back when I was consolidating tanks and while they're not as readily noticeable from a distance due simply to their size I figured that adding a few really colorful ones would over time add a bit of color. I got two yellow females and a Cobra male.

Also, my Betta, Eddie, he perished some time back. Not sure why or how but I think the transition from living the solitary life to living in the community tank may have been just too much. SO! I bought another Betta for the 55. A blue male crown tail. Pretty guy. He promptly disappeared, lol. One minute he was there and then the next he was gone. So many plants and hiding places, he got stage fright I guess. I hope he makes the adjustment!

Well, that's about it for now. Mollies, Pleco, Cory cats, Pearl, all doing well though I may add another pair of the Sailfin Mollies later this year. The offspring so far haven't displayed the trademark finnage and I may need to just purchase that.

Thanks for dropping by!

Pescado_Verde
Had a Betta sighting earlier today but it was not encouraging. He's just hanging around the bottom of the tank and hiding by a plant. Fins droopy and he just looks unhappy. Nothing wrong with the parameters or anything like that, both myself and the store are on the same water supply so I can only guess it's stress.

The guppies and Platies are all acting like they've been in the tank forever. They were all swimming with their own kind within minutes so at least that's good.

Pescado_Verde
Betta's are just weird, lol. He's as elusive and as secretive my pleco.

Anyway… TWO YEARS!!! I'll tell ya, working from home during this COVID pandemic has allowed me to spend more time looking at and enjoying my tanks than ever before. And as a result I've spent more time playing in the water! Really got after the algae the last few weeks, did some minor re-scaping, scooped up some of the Endler fish out of their tank and dropped 'em into the 55, lol. I'll take some pictures later and post those, it sure looks a lot better now than it does on the FIRST page of this thread!

Thanks for dropping by!

Pescado_Verde
Alright, did a water change, scraped a little algae and raked the gravel a little bit. 2 years later...

DSC_7104_00001.jpg

Msdp11009
Your plants are so healthy

Pescado_Verde
Just checking in to report that my recently added Betta is doing fantastic! The first week or so I thought he'd died a couple of different times because he'd be nowhere for days. I guess it was just an adjustment period with a lot of hiding because now he shows up whenever I get near the tank and seems frisky and happy. Oh, and he has a name now - "Duke", because he's a blue devil. I haven't yet tried to snap a really good picture of him but have taken some so-so shots, here's one of those.

DUKE.jpg

Pescado_Verde
So back around the first of the month I did a little minor rescaping. One of the side effects of this was it caused my BN Pleco, "Scruffy", to have to find a new hiding place. He's 99% nocturnal so I never saw him anyway but now his new hiding place is where I can just see the top of his spiny little head. Anyway, after a few weeks of just seeing the top of his head in the same spot day after day I began to worry, what if he was just lying there dead?!?? His new spot is on one end of the tank squeezed in between Harold the concrete turtle and the glass so I tapped on the glass by his head earlier. Nothing. Tapped some more. Still nothing. A couple more really hard taps and I saw his head jerk in annoyance, lol. All good! Dude sleeps like a rock!

I put zucchini in there for him and I know I see the skin gnawed off the next day so intellectually I KNEW he was alive and feeding but just seeing him there day after day in that same spot got under my skin!

Happy Friday, y'all!!

Msdp11009
I still check your thread.

Pescado_Verde
Msdp11009 said:
I still check your thread.
Ha! Thanks! If I had something to report I'd post it but things are just really stable in my fish keeping world at the moment. I have thought about making some changes but only just thought about it. I appreciate you dropping by, company is always welcome here!

Sputnik
Pescado_Verde said:
So yeah, the fry are definitely Platy. The two "mouse ears" on the tail are really becoming noticeable. That bumps the total # of Platies to 11. Mother of God I'm going to have a tank full of these things in no time.

Pond snails are just beyond stupid. Catching a ride on a concrete turtle. Hey guys, you're not going to get anywhere fast like that. Just smh stupid.

20180903_165622.jpg

Added some new inhabitants to the tank yesterday, 3 Nerite snails and a BN Pleco. Pleco has been named "Gollum". The way he moves around the tank just creeps me out, hard.
All hail Harold, Sovereign of the Seven Seas! And his faithful minion Gollum! Hail!

Msdp11009
Pescado_Verde said:
Ha! Thanks! If I had something to report I'd post it but things are just really stable in my fish keeping world at the moment. I have thought about making some changes but only just thought about it. I appreciate you dropping by, company is always welcome here!
I still check.

yeah I hear ya with Covid everything is quiet. Can’t even restock any fish if I needed to for almost a year now! I just got some plants via amazon but that is it

Pescado_Verde
Msdp11009 said:
I still check.

yeah I hear ya with Covid everything is quiet. Can’t even restock any fish if I needed to for almost a year now! I just got some plants via amazon but that is it
I was going to order some plants yesterday from my favorite supplier and they're STILL closed. It's a small family run business and this pandemic has hit them hard. Supposed to be open again in a month but they've been down for a LONG time now. I did some crazy stuff to my tank yesterday, I whacked my ginormous Amazon sword down to nothing and now I'm thinking I'll just pull the whole thing out. I kind of like the open space after seeing it. I had no idea how fast they would grow. My tank is I think 21" tall and the leaves have been up to the water line for months now and the plant was maybe 7" when I stuck it in the dirt less than a year ago (I think). Thanks for stopping by and posting! I do have a few pics I can share that are recent. They are - the tank with the sword plant whacked down, my crown tail Betta "Duke" and out of sheer boredom I stuck my mannequin head in a shot for the giggles.

DSC_4606_00001.jpg

DSC_4603_00001.jpg

MONFISH.jpg

Msdp11009
No! I lived your sword! Lol. Course I don’t have to keep up with it either. It photographs well and the changes gave you a post purpose.

yes your blog here is like a comfortable old friend I come to visit. With covid and shut downs and crazy world (i swear everyone has been driven mad) it is so hard to be motivated to do anything. It is a weird place to have more “time”, nowhere to go, but just kinda spinning my wheels. Kinda like a low grade depression. I hadn’t even been in here for awhile and didn’t realize it!

Pescado_Verde
I decided I needed some new Nerite snails so a trip to PSmart was made. Of course I looked at fish and of course I came home with a new fish. Another male Betta, I think they called the variety "Pink Rose Petal" or something like that. It's a fantastic looking fish for sure. He's still in big tank shock and adjusting to living in a community where another male Betta resides but I'm confident that he'll adjust. I did try to get a picture of him but he's still hiding for the most part so pics were no bueno.

The friend that I went with had fish once upon a time and decided it was time they jumped back into the game and picked out a female Betta. I supplied them with a 10 gallon tank, heater, lid, light, pump and double sponge filter. Their fish is resting comfortably in its cup in my 55 until the friend can get their rig set up.

Pictures soon!

Frisbee
I divorced the first one, let's hope this goes better.

First you make a roux...

Oops, wrong forum! Let's try again...

First you get a glass box. I found mine on Craigslist, it's a 1970's era beast and the sucker selling it only wanted $100 for the glass box with base and they threw in delivery and a 200W heater.
I was all...

addemx.jpg

I knew I needed a filter and a light so Amazon to the rescue! I was going to go with a HOB and looked into the biowheels but a coworker extolled the virtues of a canister filter to the point that I had to have one. The Eheim Classic 350 was delivered within 2 days, praise be to Prime!

Next came the light. My $200 budget for this project was already blown all to heck so I had to go cheap here. Even though I want plants it's my first tank and so there's no reason YET to go full moron. There will be plenty of time for that later, right? I had read some good things about Current USA's line of aquarium lights and found their Satellite LED on Amazon for $39. Who could pass that up? BAM! 2 days later it's in the house! Oh Prime, how do I love thee? Let me count the dollars!

So here's what I started with: glass box, base, light, filter and a couple pieces of blue poster board from HEB for the background.

3097via.jpg

I wanted a natural looking substrate and the woman at the LFS said they had a buff colored coarse sand they had been carrying for 30 years that was their best seller and that I would love it. Awesome. Only when I got there she told me that their supplier had stopped carrying it as of this past week and that she had some others she could show me. Okay, well, I wasn't dead set on that so let's see what you've got! White? No, shows dirt too easily? Dark brown pebble? No, I want something a little bit brighter. How about this BLUE AND WHITE MIX? Oh yes, holy mother of Neptune it's so NATURAL looking! Yeah, no, whatever. I need a substrate, have you got 75 lbs of it? Yes? Great, I'll take it.

2upssuh.jpg

I've got a few pieces of wood that I siliconed to rocks to keep them on the bottom while they get waterlogged and a handful of larger rocks. I dare to call this an aquascape.

ixgtgg.jpg

The turtle may or may not be a permanent fixture. He's growing on me.

Oh, and I had thrown in a couple of airstones because what self respecting aquarium doesn't have at least one airstone, right? They're out of sight but trust me, they're there and they're awesome!

Okay, let's add water!

n6q42s.jpg

Yes, that's Harold (the turtle) being useful and holding the hose down while the tank fills.

So here's the finished 55. This color scheme is like some aquatic homage to the Dallas Cowboys, yes? I just need to paint a big star on that rock on the right and maybe drop in a laminated picture of Roger Staubach to complete the look.

fp5jyq.jpg

I of course added tap water conditioner and it's been 24 hours now so I went back this morning and picked up my 10 Zebra Danios and a sprig of Anacharis. They're floating now and will soon be released into the blueness.

It may be a while before I update this thread as for now I am done with the tank. The LFS will be checking my water and advising on that so until the tank is cycledand I can add stock there won't be much to report.

I hope you enjoyed this or at least found it a bit entertaining and thanks to all who post here for giving me the courage to embark upon this journey, you truly are inspirational.
Oh the blue! Harold the turtle. XD

I love it Pescado_Verde, lol, I love it.

Sputnik
Pescado_Verde said:
I decided I needed some new Nerite snails so a trip to PSmart was made. Of course I looked at fish and of course I came home with a new fish. Another male Betta, I think they called the variety "Pink Rose Petal" or something like that. It's a fantastic looking fish for sure. He's still in big tank shock and adjusting to living in a community where another male Betta resides but I'm confident that he'll adjust. I did try to get a picture of him but he's still hiding for the most part so pics were no bueno.

The friend that I went with had fish once upon a time and decided it was time they jumped back into the game and picked out a female Betta. I supplied them with a 10 gallon tank, heater, lid, light, pump and double sponge filter. Their fish is resting comfortably in its cup in my 55 until the friend can get their rig set up.

Pictures soon!
This gets better and better!

Pescado_Verde
Sputnik said:
This gets better and better!
New guy is still shy. He was up near the front of the tank, right at the water line when I walked up to it earlier today and we startled each other, lol. Good to see that he's not hanging our behind the plants all the time.

Msdp11009
Hmmm looking forward to pics!

Fishkeeper25
Pescado_Verde said:
I divorced the first one, let's hope this goes better.

First you make a roux...

Oops, wrong forum! Let's try again...

First you get a glass box. I found mine on Craigslist, it's a 1970's era beast and the sucker selling it only wanted $100 for the glass box with base and they threw in delivery and a 200W heater.
I was all...

addemx.jpg

I knew I needed a filter and a light so Amazon to the rescue! I was going to go with a HOB and looked into the biowheels but a coworker extolled the virtues of a canister filter to the point that I had to have one. The Eheim Classic 350 was delivered within 2 days, praise be to Prime!

Next came the light. My $200 budget for this project was already blown all to heck so I had to go cheap here. Even though I want plants it's my first tank and so there's no reason YET to go full moron. There will be plenty of time for that later, right? I had read some good things about Current USA's line of aquarium lights and found their Satellite LED on Amazon for $39. Who could pass that up? BAM! 2 days later it's in the house! Oh Prime, how do I love thee? Let me count the dollars!

So here's what I started with: glass box, base, light, filter and a couple pieces of blue poster board from HEB for the background.

3097via.jpg

I wanted a natural looking substrate and the woman at the LFS said they had a buff colored coarse sand they had been carrying for 30 years that was their best seller and that I would love it. Awesome. Only when I got there she told me that their supplier had stopped carrying it as of this past week and that she had some others she could show me. Okay, well, I wasn't dead set on that so let's see what you've got! White? No, shows dirt too easily? Dark brown pebble? No, I want something a little bit brighter. How about this BLUE AND WHITE MIX? Oh yes, holy mother of Neptune it's so NATURAL looking! Yeah, no, whatever. I need a substrate, have you got 75 lbs of it? Yes? Great, I'll take it.

2upssuh.jpg

I've got a few pieces of wood that I siliconed to rocks to keep them on the bottom while they get waterlogged and a handful of larger rocks. I dare to call this an aquascape.

ixgtgg.jpg

The turtle may or may not be a permanent fixture. He's growing on me.

Oh, and I had thrown in a couple of airstones because what self respecting aquarium doesn't have at least one airstone, right? They're out of sight but trust me, they're there and they're awesome!

Okay, let's add water!

n6q42s.jpg

Yes, that's Harold (the turtle) being useful and holding the hose down while the tank fills.

So here's the finished 55. This color scheme is like some aquatic homage to the Dallas Cowboys, yes? I just need to paint a big star on that rock on the right and maybe drop in a laminated picture of Roger Staubach to complete the look.

fp5jyq.jpg

I of course added tap water conditioner and it's been 24 hours now so I went back this morning and picked up my 10 Zebra Danios and a sprig of Anacharis. They're floating now and will soon be released into the blueness.

It may be a while before I update this thread as for now I am done with the tank. The LFS will be checking my water and advising on that so until the tank is cycled and I can add stock there won't be much to report.

I hope you enjoyed this or at least found it a bit entertaining and thanks to all who post here for giving me the courage to embark upon this journey, you truly are inspirational.
I love it. Best of luck to you

Pescado_Verde
Msdp11009 said:
Hmmm looking forward to pics!
I've taken a bunch but nothing noteworthy. He's staked a claim on one end of the tank near a sponge filter. I drop shrimp pellets in on that end and so errrbody gets up in his space. He'll tolerate 'em for a little bit and looks like he doesn't want to make contact but then he'll lose his cool and go steaming around at 100mph. Then he'll settle back into his spot. All the other fish are busy feeding and I'm not even sure they notice him, lol.

Pescado_Verde
Coming up on our 3rd birthday with the tank. To celebrate. I tore it down and moved. ;) Well, I moved so I had to tear it down. Anyway, today was the big day. Don't think I lost anyone yet. Right now it's just a bare glass box with filter and heaters. I was surprised how clean the gravel was. I'm still going to clean it before I rebuild but for as long as it was in there it was in really good shape. Maybe now that I'm starting over I'll begin posting updates again. It could happen!! Thanks for dropping by fellow Fishlorians.

20210619_184607.jpg

Natalie666
Oooooooo:)

Frisbee
Exciting

Msdp11009
Bigger place? I hope they all make it. I will be having to move all my tanks (during flooring renovation) and having ti empty and replace all water. At least i can save original water in buckets and just add 50 percent new

Top Bottom