A Bad Rosy Barb

ArcticBear

I just started another aquarium (29g) and added 5 Tiger Barbs (all that was left at the store) and 5 Rosy Barbs. I had researched about them and was expecting trouble from the Tigers. I woke up today to 2 Rosys with chewed off tails and fins. As I observed the tank I discovered that the perpetrator was one Rosy Barb, and not even the biggest one. I removed the damaged Rosys and put them in another tank with peaceful fish, and with much great difficulty have removed the aggressive Rosy. He is currently in a jar. What can I do to reintroduce him... any suggestions?

They were all in the same tank in the store with no missing fins and tails. Also, they are all males. The store only received males because of the bright colours. Is this the problem, that they are all males?

Strangely, the tigers are fine, relaxed, while the Rosys are pestering each other to death.

Also, I got the barbs with the belief that my Red Tailed shark could go in with them. He immediately starting harassing all the barbs so I put him back in with the peaceful fish. Go figure, he's better with peaceful, smaller fish, contrary to all that I have researched. (I didn't buy him, he came with the first used aquarium that I bought.)

ArcticBear

Aggressive Rosy Barb

Just set up a new 29 gallon tank. Did my research, cycled it etc. I bought 5 Tiger Barbs (all that was left at the store) and 5 Rosy Barbs. The Rosy barbs were all in one tank at the store and none had missing tails or fins. (All are males-bright colour).

One Rosy barb has turned into a bully and is biting off the tails and fins of the other Rosy barbs but doesn't bother the Tigers. I have taken him out and put him in a jar. Any suggestions on what I can do to reintroduce him? My two other aquariums are all peaceful fish so he can't go in with them either.

Sharkdude

try adding another rosey, they do better in groups of 6+, if that doesn't work take all the fish out, completely redecorate then add all the fish back at the same time. that should reset the tank

Last edited:

Aquarist

Hello ArticBear,

Some, if not most, of the Barb family can be notorious fin nippers. I haven't kept this species personally so let's get some more responses.

Ken

mattmf1

I have several rosy barbs and they are 2 males 4 females. That is a combination that works well for me.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I have merged two of your threads dealing with the same tank and naughty (teehee) Rosy Barb.

Creating duplicate threads can be confusing to other members.

Thanks!

Ken

LyndaB

Also, I got the barbs with the belief that my Red Tailed shark could go in with them. He immediately starting harassing all the barbs so I put him back in with the peaceful fish. Go figure, he's better with peaceful, smaller fish, contrary to all that I have researched. (I didn't buy him, he came with the first used aquarium that I bought.)

Your tank is much too small for a red tailed shark. He'd require a minimum of 55 gallons. As sharks mature, they get even more aggressive. I just had to rehome mine because he'd reached that stage.

ArcticBear

Sorry, I made two posts because I wasn't getting any answers! The red tailed shark did not do better when I put him in the big tank with the barbs, so he went back with the tetras where he is being placid... I would never have bought that fish for the set up that I have. He's doing ok for now but maybe I will give him away later.

The bad rosy barb got put in the dog house. I bought a tiny tank and filter to house him for now and will try to reintroduce him later.

The problems continue as one of the tailless and finless barbs is bothering the other tailless and finless barb. I agree that the problem probably has something to do with them being all males. So this bully is in a floating tank (for injured fish) and I will add him back in with the other barbs soon. The other ingured barb is still in with tetras, rasboras and cory cats. I figure when it gets healthy enough to start harrassing them, I'll reintroduce him with the barbs. I'm thinking to add the bad barb back after everyone else has settled... If any survive I'll ask the store to bring in some females!

The Tigers are just fine amidst all the chaos!

What a nightmare.... and my poor tetra with ich probably isn't going to make it. (Interestingly, he was also the smallest... could stress cause the ich?)

LyndaB

Stress can definitely cause ich, as can injury or bad water parameters.

When one fish has ich, you must treat the entire tank for it.

Treefork

Are you sure it was that rosy barb? If the tiger barbs had mangled the other rosy barbs, you could have just caught that particular rosy munching off of his buddies freshly torn fins.

I have 7 rosy barbs, 4 males and 3 females. (Had a heckuva time finding females!)

Kopeth

I have 7 female cherry barbs in a 55 gallon, they are pretty friendly sometimes they chase each other for a second but don't nip at all.

Sometimes you have a bad one in a bunch who can be aggressive. If you can provide more hiding places for your fish they might be able to escape each other when they need to. Ich can be treated by slowing raising your tank temp to 85 degrees (1 degree an hour) and leaving it there for 2 weeks. Gravel vac every other day or so to get rid of the ICH in the gravel and provide additional air (bubble stone).

ArcticBear

Great advice everyone. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure my Tigers didn't do the damage to the Rosys because I have been really watching. They seem to keep to themselves. The Rosys are a tad bigger too.

Sad to hear that female Rosys are hard to get. I live in the North with only one supplier so maybe I can't get any unless I can get them special ordered. I've fallen in love with the Rosys so I don't want to give up on them yet. Little buggers.

I'm starting 35 gallon tank. Hopefully I can bounce everyone around and find a happy balance.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom