A 160 Liter/42 Gallon "summer-camp-tank", A Micro Ark Of Noah? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Cold&warm, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Cold&warm

Cold&warmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +347
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi!

At present my outdoor tank holds - if my calculations are correct - 160L/42 gal of water, or a little more.
    It was given to me for free by its original owner, who had kept it (empty) in an underground garage which a few years ago was flooded due to exceptional rainfall. The lighting does not work anymore.
    There is no electricity anyway - and therefore no filter, no air bubbles. The latter - I have read - would eliminate the annoying layer - "bacteria" - that covers the surface of the water and never disappears. At intervals I change about 40 liters at the time, but the whitish stuff remains. Has anyone any suggestions?
    There is no substrate. I'd like to have the knowledge of a biologist to be able to determine what exactly that layer on the glass bottom of the tank is made of.

At any rate, the fish seem to love it there.

This year's "summer-camp" population consists of
    - 1 adult sparkling gourami, Trichopsis pumila, got him a year ago, together with the
    - 3 adult multies, Neolamprologus multifasciatus
    - 1 male guppy, bought him 2 months ago
    - 3 adult cardinals, Paracheirodon axelrodi, got them 3 years ago, together with the
    - 1 adult harlequin male, Rasbora trigonostigma heteromorpha
    - 7 very lively young adult harlequins, bought them together with the guppy 2 months ago

To my enormous surprise, the sparkling gurami and the three multies coexist peacefully in this (by my standards) large tank: in the past they have fought fiercely, ripping and loosing pieces of fins, in a 10 gal and a 20 gallon.

The multies, funny enough, are never to be found - not even at night - in the three escargot shells I selected from the 33 in their 20 gallon winter-tank, which they make intense use of.
    Nor do they display any of the aggressively intolerant attitude they have towards any non-multi in their 20 gallon. They almost shoal with the others. On the other hand, one of the two females bullies the other one a lot more than in the smaller tank.

I selected the guppy and the 7 young adult harlequins from small tanks in the shop which they shared with visibly sick fish. I have kept them apart for some time - they were the first to use the 42 gallon this year - but they haven't shown any sign of disease, nor has any of their tankmates.

I feel sorry for the guppy male and still have not decided if I'll give him female company - where do I put the fry when winter comes?
    Fellow Fishlorers, what do you think?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you have a picture of this tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Cold&warm

Cold&warmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +347
    Experience:
    2 years
    It'll take a while: I misplaced the extra memory cards - the one in my tiny camera does not work anymore - and my phone does not make pictures.