96g Corner tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by VAFish, Jul 27, 2015.

1. VAFish

VAFish Valued Member Member

So I finally set up my 96g corner bow front tank. I have decorated it yet as I'm still deciding what I want to stick it with.

My idea is to do a rainbow tank...bunch of schools of different rainbows but part of me thinks I may get bored with that. I've considered african cichlids, especially since my pH is 8 here. I need some ideas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could always do oddball fish - maybe a few ropefish or a bichir?

I love angels. You could always do an angel-themed tank!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I see on your other thread you are using a canister filter with this. Is that still the plan? If so, what make and model is it canister, or do you happen to know how much GPH it does? That will directly impact what stocking would be appropriate for the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    VAFish

It's a marineland canister 360gph

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

That just seems a little underrated for a tank that's almost 100 gallons. I think you should get closer to 500 as much as possible, if not more.

6. OP
    OP
    VAFish

It came with the tank. He ran salt water for years with it. Would be be wise to add a second filter or just find one with 500+ gph?

7. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

I would just add a HOB, much more cost effective. An aqueon quiet flow 55/75 has 400 GPH and I really like them. Run two on my 55.

I got my for ~40$

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  8. Dom90

Yea maybe just get an AquaClear 70 and run it simultaneously with the canister and then I think you'll be good.

9. OP
    OP
    VAFish

Ok I'll look into that. Now...stocking ideas?? Lol

10. TexasDomer

I suggested some above :)

What type of fish are you looking for? Schooling, oddball, large, small, etc?

11. Dom90

So what's its going to be? Schooling community tank or African cichlids? I read your first post and that's what it said lol.

12. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I like community tanks normally. Not much for the oddball stuff. And I don't want anything that gets too big either. I'd rather be able to house a larger number of fish.

I like some rainbows, but part of me wants to give Africans a go. I don't know what to do!! lol

13. Dom90

How about a big school of Boesemani Rainbowfish to start? They get to like 5" I think. So you could do maybe about 10-15 of them.

Do you have a pic of the tank? What are the dimensions?

14. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I don't have the dimensions in front of me but I think it's 24 high and about 48 from side to side at the corners.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438020131.682517.jpg

15. Dom90

So its kind of like a 75g rectangular?

16. TexasDomer

You could get some small or medium schoolers (danios, tetras, rainbows) and then a small/medium bottom level centerpiece fish (kribensis cichlids, apistogrammas, rams).

17. Dom90

I am thinking Congo tetras for your tank but if mine are the considered the norm, they're not very active like some other tetras I've seen, like neons or cardinals. They just kind of stand around and watch the danios swim around them in loops...

18. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I have a krib in my 75 and love him. I do want an apisto. Was going to get a cacatoo for my 75 but got a ram instead. Don't think I should chance another cichlid in there. I could do rainbows and an apisto pair in this one and then find some other nice schooling fish.

I've never had congos but they do look cool.

19. Dom90

Wait... if you have a 75g community tank, why would you want to be redundant? lol... African cichlids it is!

20. OP
    OP
    VAFish

Just when I thought we had it figured out! LOL. I know nothing about compatibility with Africans but it would make for a pretty tank. I love peacocks. Saw some yellow ones the other day

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice