90gal oscar tank stocking advice?

Gennasharples
Hi! I recently got a 90gallon tank and then a baby Oscar. He's now probably about 12cm (almost 5 inches). The tank is a blackwater set up with sand substrate, some basic driftwood, and leaf litter and seed pods and things..
Anyway, the tank is looking pretty empty with just him in it so I'm wondering if there is anything I can put in with him?
Is the tank large enough for a second Oscar? Or should I go for some other types of fish?

Advertisement
Redshark1
You will have to try something that is not too aggressive, not likely to damage the Oscar, too big to swallow, can escape effectively but which does not compete for space. Silver Dollars are often mentioned but ultimately they would get rather large.

Oscars are aggressive and territorial though their temperaments vary and change with age e.g. sexual maturity.

Although I don't keep them I've read lots of posts.
I think you may find that in a 90 gallon there will not be enough space for other fish to escape/coexist.

Keeping a pair of Oscars would also need more room and is best achieved by buying a group and selecting a pair. Adding an Oscar to another's territory does not end well.

Advertisement
TClare
It sounds like a nice tank, but I would keep the Oscar alone, he is going to get a lot bigger in the next year or so and the tank won't look so empty when he reaches full size. He is already at a size that he would not welcome any additional cichlids in the tank and the tank is too small for a group of silver dollars. Perhaps you could have a pleco if that interests you?

Cadillac15
I had 2 Oscars in a 125g with a pleco. If it's a large enough pleco you could potentially get away with one of them with it. But Oscars get up to 13-14 inches. I'm getting ready to move my remaining Oscar to his own tank because since the second Oscar died, the remaining one is going after the pleco. They get big and territorial. I would probably keep him alone in the 90g personally. They grow fast!

Redshark1
I have read of Oscars biting the eyes out of Plecos so it is probably essential to provide a secure hiding place. Even so I believe Plecos suffer from stress as with other fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
redmare
Replies
Views
Bailey Oswald
Replies
Views
Grumpyroo
Replies
Views