90g tank options

1. k9z3boys Member Member

I am beginning to understand what is meant by 'centerpiece' fish.
    we will be getting a 90g tank the end of sept and were mostly just going to still with freshwater community like we have in the 60.
    I thought about trying to 'rescue' a sailfin pleco from no hiding, no wood, overfed, 29g tank but it shows sailfins need 120g! so he wouldn't even fit in the 90 ( plus, if he is that stunted, is he even healthy... would moving him to a bigger tank, even not big enough be better or worse?)

we seem to really like catfish as we have corys, otos and 2 kinds of plecos ( smaller ones )
    im not sure I want a river monster 24inch common pleco....I don't like the idea of a huge tank for 1 or 2 fish...
    SOO after all that preamble ramble...
    any recommendations on a decent sized centerpiece for a 90g freshwater?

ps...2 of my boys voted for dragonfish and green puffers,,..they have hi hopes... ok they are delustional...no brackish!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have a Sail Fin Pleco, 12" long in my 265g tank, 14 years old. I think you've made a wise decision not to add one to the 90g tank. You could always try some Bristle Nose Plecos as they grow to 4 to 6" max. I have a female and she is adorable and 4 years old now.

If you know the fish is stunted, I would not recommend making the purchase. Stunting can shorten the life span of the fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfroUTUkjhM
    In the video above, you can see my small Bristle Nose Pleco swim to the zucchini slice. The Sail Fin is hard to see but is attached to a piece of driftwood in the center of the tank.

I really like my 7 Emerald Cory Cats. So fun to watch.

Ken

3. k9z3boys Member Member

we have two bristles in the 60... Kubota and chomper. they are just babies. albinos.
    I don't know for sure that the sailfin is stunted...im just guessing at 2-3 yrs in a 29 tall....

we have several cory cats, love the cory cats they are such goofballs.