I bought the plastic mesh from BRS and zip tied that to egg crate for my lid. Works wonders. I’ll post you a pic shortly.
Thanks! Yes that's a coral beauty, his name is Jaws as he swims around looking for fish to beat up lol. He is definitely the boss! Although he gets a run for his money from the female clownfish (aka big momma). The others try to stay out of his way lol. He is the biggest coral beauty I've ever seenIt looks fantastic! Love the huge goni. Is that a Coral Beauty?
Yes, that's why I'm seeking input before I actually do it lol. My other option is to try and detach it from the rocks but tbh I don't think I will be able to without knocking a bunch of stuff down, and I kinda like how the leather is holding onto them as it gives it all a lot more stability (never did get round to gluing my scape lol...woops!). I've watched a few videos of leathers being fragged but haven't seen any being done in a tank yet. I can't move the zoa rock either because the leather is attached to it!Eeek!! I shouldn't really comment here because I have very very limited experience with softies and none with leathers at all. Here's why I say eeek...
Recently saw a gorgeous tank go through a partial crash due to fragging a Pectinia coral and placing it back in the tank a short time later while it was still releasing mucus. All of the SPS in the tank died.
Will this happen with a softie? Idk, but I wouldn't risk it unless I found many reports of in-tank fragging of leathers being safe.
So, we sold our house and will have to move the tank. Having a should I/shouldn't I debate in my head about moving the whole thing and just wondering if I should break it down. Costs are going to be huge with a new mortgage, travelling costs to work, and I'll be buying a couple of horses now there will be stables at home so wondering if I will have the time needed to care for the tank. I struggle now so not sure it's wise to take it with us. The coral is struggling at the moment, phosphates went through the roof recently (my fault, got lazy with changing the media) and had a miscalculation when dosing which caused the calcium to skyrocket and alkalinity to fall. Hair algae has made a comeback and 2 gonis, the heliofungia, one of the acans and the leptastrea are all looking rough (the heliofungia especially). Bummed out about it, especially as one of my heaters seems to be playing up and actively trying to cook everything. Currently skint as have just come back from HawaiI (which was AMAZING) and not sure how much I want to funnel funds into the tank right now.
But then I look at the corals who have made a comeback since I started addressing the issues, the clownfish who are starting to display egg laying behaviours, the mandarin who is now starting to get a little belly, and I change my mind all over again. I think when we get a moving date I will have to make a decision, and I'm sure a big part of that will be the state the tank is in when we get it. I don't want to move coral that is already struggling coz I'm sure it'll just die off, especially as we'll be moving sometime before Christmas and it's gonna be cold out. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions!