90g Sw Build...eek!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eeek!! I shouldn't really comment here because I have very very limited experience with softies and none with leathers at all. Here's why I say eeek...

Recently saw a gorgeous tank go through a partial crash due to fragging a Pectinia coral and placing it back in the tank a short time later while it was still releasing mucus. All of the SPS in the tank died. :nailbiting:

Will this happen with a softie? Idk, but I wouldn't risk it unless I found many reports of in-tank fragging of leathers being safe.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eeek!! I shouldn't really comment here because I have very very limited experience with softies and none with leathers at all. Here's why I say eeek...

Recently saw a gorgeous tank go through a partial crash due to fragging a Pectinia coral and placing it back in the tank a short time later while it was still releasing mucus. All of the SPS in the tank died. :nailbiting:

Will this happen with a softie? Idk, but I wouldn't risk it unless I found many reports of in-tank fragging of leathers being safe.
Yes, that's why I'm seeking input before I actually do it lol. My other option is to try and detach it from the rocks but tbh I don't think I will be able to without knocking a bunch of stuff down, and I kinda like how the leather is holding onto them as it gives it all a lot more stability (never did get round to gluing my scape lol...woops!). I've watched a few videos of leathers being fragged but haven't seen any being done in a tank yet. I can't move the zoa rock either because the leather is attached to it! :banghead:

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I took the plunge today! I worked out that the leather was attached to my zoa rock at the top then the trunk was attached to another rock, so took both the rocks it was attached to out, peeled it off the zoa rock and then fragged it. The toadstool and the frags went into a qt tank I had set up but there wasnt any sliming really. Frags attached to live rock rubble with an elastic band. Frags and toadstool went back in the main tank after a couple of hours, have chucked some carbon in the sump. Frags already look super happy, main toadstool is majorly unhappy with life right now hopefully he will bounce back ok!

I dont think fragging is for me tbh but happy it's been done. Hopefully it'll grow back a lot slower haha

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welllll.....the toadstool necrotised and is now dead :inpain::banghead::shifty:. All my other leathers sulked for a while but are coming back around after a tank-wide shed. I have two little frags left, one I think is almost certain to melt, the other one is possibly a little more hopeful. I've been doing daily water changes trying to keep the chemical warfare under control and going to change the carbon in the sump tomorrow as well. What a disaster! The only good thing was that in removing the leather completely from the tank, I had to completely rescape the left side of the tank and I really, really LOVE the new scape. Plus there is now space for more coral (when things have calmed down, lol). My dad is upset with me because he loved that toadstool. I've told him I will buy him a new one for fathers day lol :hilarious:

Fish tanks, who'd have em!!

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tank seems to have recovered (phew!). Cant remember if I mentioned but we set up a doser a few weeks ago so hopefully corals will start growing a bit quicker. Picked up a gorgeous heliofungia a couple of months ago which looks incredible. The Christmas tree leather is growing at an alarming rate and the blenny now enjoys lurking in it pics below!

20190613_195627.jpg
20190612_190736.jpg

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
After a quiet few weeks, a lovely heat wave came along and bleached my forest fire monti. Amazingly, that's the only piece who's keeled over (hoping it'll make a comeback and feeding heavily now...fingers crossed). I also finally caved and bought a mandarin lol. Here is the little cutie he seems to be on the move and picking at the rocks and sand constantly, especially at feeding time so I have my fingers firmly crossed lol
20190706_191301.jpg

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, we sold our house and will have to move the tank. Having a should I/shouldn't I debate in my head about moving the whole thing and just wondering if I should break it down. Costs are going to be huge with a new mortgage, travelling costs to work, and I'll be buying a couple of horses now there will be stables at home so wondering if I will have the time needed to care for the tank. I struggle now so not sure it's wise to take it with us. The coral is struggling at the moment, phosphates went through the roof recently (my fault, got lazy with changing the media) and had a miscalculation when dosing which caused the calcium to skyrocket and alkalinity to fall. Hair algae has made a comeback and 2 gonis, the heliofungia, one of the acans and the leptastrea are all looking rough (the heliofungia especially). Bummed out about it, especially as one of my heaters seems to be playing up and actively trying to cook everything. Currently skint as have just come back from Hawaii (which was AMAZING) and not sure how much I want to funnel funds into the tank right now.

But then I look at the corals who have made a comeback since I started addressing the issues, the clownfish who are starting to display egg laying behaviours, the mandarin who is now starting to get a little belly, and I change my mind all over again. I think when we get a moving date I will have to make a decision, and I'm sure a big part of that will be the state the tank is in when we get it. I don't want to move coral that is already struggling coz I'm sure it'll just die off, especially as we'll be moving sometime before Christmas and it's gonna be cold out. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions! :nailbiting:

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh man... that's a toughie. Sometimes we have to weigh things out where neither is something we really want to give up.:sorry: Yet, if we're honest with ourselves, considering of both the life we have under our care and the time (not to mention stress) we have to devote to it, then even if it's tough to give in and let go of something... well, then at least we know we've made the best decision for all involved. Whatever will provide the best life for your fish, corals, horses, and yourself is the right decision.

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, we sold our house and will have to move the tank. Having a should I/shouldn't I debate in my head about moving the whole thing and just wondering if I should break it down. Costs are going to be huge with a new mortgage, travelling costs to work, and I'll be buying a couple of horses now there will be stables at home so wondering if I will have the time needed to care for the tank. I struggle now so not sure it's wise to take it with us. The coral is struggling at the moment, phosphates went through the roof recently (my fault, got lazy with changing the media) and had a miscalculation when dosing which caused the calcium to skyrocket and alkalinity to fall. Hair algae has made a comeback and 2 gonis, the heliofungia, one of the acans and the leptastrea are all looking rough (the heliofungia especially). Bummed out about it, especially as one of my heaters seems to be playing up and actively trying to cook everything. Currently skint as have just come back from Hawaii (which was AMAZING) and not sure how much I want to funnel funds into the tank right now.

But then I look at the corals who have made a comeback since I started addressing the issues, the clownfish who are starting to display egg laying behaviours, the mandarin who is now starting to get a little belly, and I change my mind all over again. I think when we get a moving date I will have to make a decision, and I'm sure a big part of that will be the state the tank is in when we get it. I don't want to move coral that is already struggling coz I'm sure it'll just die off, especially as we'll be moving sometime before Christmas and it's gonna be cold out. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions! :nailbiting:

definitely tough, If you are going to move it you could take advantage of it to fix the nutrient and algae issues with rip cleaning the whole tank and starting clean at the new location. If you decide to sell it im sure you will eventually come back. I would say do what is best for you and the inhabitant of the tank. you before tank and could always get another tank down the line.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks @stella1979 and @xiholdtruex - it is definitely a tough one! At the moment, the plan is to move the tank and see how it goes when we get to the new house. I won't be buying horses over winter (if I can stick to my guns lol), so can get into the routine and see how it works out while we adjust to the new house and see how the corals do. Once the horses are in the picture, I'm not sure I will have the time, but I will also have a good LFS a 15 minute drive away (as opposed to 45 minutes at the current house!) and I'm sure the owner of the new store would potentially take my coral and livestock if I needed to close the tank down. I just don't think I can rip it all apart, I am too attached and I've solidly done maintenance for the last 18 months until the blip with the phosphate media - so as long as I don't get lazy once in the new house we should be ok I think.

Of course, I keep changing my plans every 3 seconds so who the heck knows how it will all work out...will keep you updated haha!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom