90g Sw Build...eek!

1. Sprogladite

Sprogladite Valued Member Member

Thought I'd start a build thread, half for input from others and half as a record for when I look back on this! :)

This will not be my first SW tank but is significantly bigger than my first (first one was 80 litres).

So far we have ordered:
    • 3ft x 2ft x 2ft DT, open topped with pelmet and 30 x 18 x 17" sump + pipework. The tank is being custom built and is expected to be ready probably just after christmas.
    • Ecotech radion xr15w pro gen 4 LEDs x2 plus multilight mounting equipment (arms, track + sliders)
    • Heaters - x2 Eheim Jager 300w (one for back up)
    • Hydor Koralia Gen 3 7000 wavemaker
    • Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 6065 powerhead
    • Sicce syncra silent 2.5 return pump
    • Phosban reactor 150
    The aim of the game is to keep a completely mixed reef with soft, LPS and SPS corals. We ordered everything during the black Friday sales so made some significant savings which was awesome!

Planning on using a mix of live rock (about 10ish kg) and 10 - 15kg of dry (probably Marco) rock, along with the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit to cycle (as it's a new one on me thought I'd give it a go and see what happens!)

Have been considering adding a UV steriliser to the equation - any thoughts on this appreciated if anyone wants to chip in :)

I'm sure I've forgotten something somewhere so if I have feel free to point it out lol :D

Knew I'd forgotten something, we also ordered a Bubble Magus curve 5 protein skimmer :rolleyes:

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds AWESOME!!! I'll be very happy to follow along on this one! :D

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

I’m in too. I’ll be building my 75 after Christmas.

4. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Following too! I’ve got an 85 gal that is 4’Lx2’Wx14 ¾”H. Also a rimless but I am currently using a screen top that sits just inside the top of the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

We are gonna have glass sliders on top to help reduce condensation losses. In theory should be hidden behind the pelmet :) our lights arrived yesterday, so of course I plugged them in to see them in action...managed to frazzle my eyeballs pretty good lol :hilarious: I am excited!

6. LJC6780

I’m sorry ... what’s a pelmet?

7. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

So you know how (going from bottom to top) most tanks have the stand and then the aquarium, and then the wood of the hood? A pelmet is where you have the wood "hood" but the top is open instead of closed :)

8. LJC6780

Oh so sort of a decorative frame around the top?

9. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

Pretty much, it gives the illusion of having a closed lid even when the top is open :)

10. stella1979

So, it's been about a week since you posted about ordering stuff... any awesome deliveries yet? Pictures? :)

11. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

So far we have:
    • x2 radion xr15w gen 4 pro lights
    • Heaters - x2 Eheim Jager 300w
    • Hydor Koralia Gen 3 7000 wavemaker
    • Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 6065 powerhead
    • Refractometer
    We haven't ordered the return pump yet but the phosban 150 got 'lost in the post' so we are having a new one sent out. The protein skimmer is going to be delivered with the tank (I'm assuming) as we ordered it at the same time as the tank :)

Unfortunately I'm at work but I'll take some pics when I get home if you'd really like to see some boxes haha! :D

12. stella1979

Radions huh.... daaannngg! Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing those. :D I cannot wait to see this setup come together. It's gonna be awesome!!!!

13. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

Haha you got it, I'll take a pic with them on so you can see just how blinded I was (hopefully it'll be toned down in a photo, don't want to blind you too haha!). Gives me a good excuse to take them out the box and play with them some more :D I will probably end up buying the reef link too, it appeals to the geek side of me lol :)

14. KristaD

KristaD Valued Member Member

Us too!

15. LJC6780

Check out the jebao dc return pumps. I’ve had a couple on mine and they are great! Old return I thought went out but just needed to be cleaned, I’ve put on my Skimmer and have a bigger one for the return. I’m running it just above half speed with room to go either way. Quiet too. Slow startup so no splashing.
    Jebao Jecod DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQX5CEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_x6Ede7y53zQIT

The Skimmer one is smaller and blue. My tank is 85 gal with trigger emerald 34 sump.

16. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

So I had an awful migraine last night and couldn’t face the dazzling lights, but took a quick snap before I face planted in bed of all the things we’ve got so far lol
    85dfc2dc5f1336ea19b0f883fc595492.jpg

I’ll take a look at that return pump, thank you! How noisy is it? We are after something extremely quiet as the tank is going to be in the living room :)

17. stella1979

Hope you're feeling better today!

18. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

Thank you, yes much better today! Researching Talbot's damsels today, I think I may have to get a couple they're adorable :D

19. stella1979

Thanks for introducing me to the species. I love how you can see the scale pattern on those guys. Have you seen the Springeri damsels? I'd love a big tank with some of those guys. :D

20. OP
    OP
    Sprogladite

Ooo yes they're gorgeous too, but I've only seen them once in the last four or five years so I'd have to order in specifically. Very, very tempting :D