90g Stocking Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 90G that, at the moment, houses 4 fairly small clown loaches. I am aware of the size these fish can grow to and that they will more than likely need a bigger tank in years to come. I've had them for a several years now and the largest is around 4". I started with 5, but one died not long after I got him for reasons unknown. So if I may ask not to be told to remove the loaches, that would be awesome ☺ ☺ ☺

SO! I want to fill this empty space and was wondering what you all would choose for this tank. A group of angels or gouramis has crossed my mind but I'm weary of either as the mid-sized mid-dwelling fish because of their sex related aggression issues. So experience with them & what tank mates they had would be awesome ☺ I definitely want some smaller, colorful schooling dither fish in there somewhere. Info as follows:

Fully cycled, established tank.
Sand and veryyy tiny pebble mixed substrate
Not planted (but plan to add at least some moss balls and floating plants very soon)
Ph: 7.3
Hardness is around 100ppm/~6gh

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could do:
2x angel
5x pearl gourami
25x rummynose tetra
20x lambchop rasboras
I think I like this idea!! That's the first time I've heard of lamb chop rasboras. I actually wanted to do the angels together but got the impression from others that it wasn't the best idea. So, with the angels and gouramis, what are the chances that the sexes of the fish will cause chaos ya think?

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With angels you want an even number but if you get a group you have to worry later on about if their is a mating pair and then you will have to worry about aggression or territory. I might lower the lambchop rasboras to 16.

But you don't have to always get everything! I might get 3 pearl gourami at first than fill in the schooling fish and then see if you want more. Watching Youtube videos of different type of fish is also a great way to see if you like the fish

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With angels you want an even number but if you get a group you have to worry later on about if their is a mating pair and then you will have to worry about aggression or territory. I might lower the lambchop rasboras to 16.

But you don't have to always get everything! I might get 3 pearl gourami at first than fill in the schooling fish and then see if you want more. Watching Youtube videos of different type of fish is also a great way to see if you like the fish
Okay so how does this sound:
2 koi angels
3 Pearl gouramis
5 boes. Rainbow
12-20 rummy nose tetra
?? & what do you think about a single blood parrot to top things off? Compatible? Crowded?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
A single blood parrot could work in that set up though they are kind of a mixed bag when it comes to aggression. Blood parrots are basically deformed red devils and red devils are quite aggressive. Parrots (whether it's due to the deformity or continued line breeding) seem to be less aggressive but they can still be little jerks if they want. I would suggest getting one very young and preferably smaller than your angels and allowing it to grow with the rest. Though once they get large (years down the road) you may have issues with them trying to eat your rummynose tetras. Will largely depend on the individual blood parrot.

I'd also consider upping the number of rainbows as well to around 6-8.

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay. The guy I was considering getting one from had them housed with gouramis, plecos and I WANT to say some convicts.. and a few other things u can't remember. They definitely aren't small but aren't fully grown either. I might would guess around 3 or 4". They seem really docile in that tank as I watched them. Didn't seem to bother anyone. But I am a bit worried about the rummy nose. Maybe I should opt for a larger tetra to be careful? Though like I said, even this guy's BPs are not small. Their mouths are definitely deformed, lol. They have a hard time even getting food in, it seems. Idk how they're succeed in eating smaller fish but I dunno if I'd want to take the chance.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'd look for something more full bodied like a lemon tetra, diamond tetra, buenos aires, black phantoms, etc.

There was a picture circulating around the internet for a bit of a parrot with a rummynose tetra hanging out of it's mouth. So it's possible. We had a member on here recently that made the mistake of putting his parrot with some harlequin rasboras and he gobbled many of them up very fast. So they definitely can and will eat smaller fish.

If the parrots are super peaceful I wouldn't worry about the compatibility with angels then. One of our old mods kept several parrots and angels together quite successfully. So it's possible. But if you happen to get a more aggressive parrot then it likely won't work out. It will likely take a bit of trial and error.

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, will do. I've done lots of trial and error since J started this hobby lol. I've come quite a ways. Anyway, I just love how the BP differ from all the other fish I'm considering, as I really like a diverse group ☺ so for this trial and error, woukd it be best to add a single angel to see how it treats just the one.. Or go ahead and get the pair and hope for the best? I fear the current size of the BPs is already bigger than small angels.

I will also up my rainbow numbers as you said. I love their colors!

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I honestly would try to get all of the fish in there and established before doing the blood parrot. Make the blood parrot the last thing you introduce to the tank

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay will do. Any particular order you'd add the rest? I'm getting two more clowns this Friday to make then a school of 6 - which I was advised by someone else that this may not work because clowns have their heiarchy going in already and the new smaller ones may not live. But I'm going against that and am going to at least try.. As I feel they'd be happier with 6. If not, I'll leave the 4 be.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The clowns are worth a shot adding 2. Yours sound young enough that their heiarchy may not be set enough to worry about them. Worth a shot

I would do tetras, rainbows, gourami, angels, and then the blood parrot. But really 2-4 is interchangeable I think

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just can't see why it wouldn't work.. I've seen so many instances of babies/smaller ones with schools of much larger ones. And I read on a couple of forums where the person was asking woukd it work out and I read several people had success with it. Anyway, I hope it works. When I bought this tank and set it up, it was for the clowns. I wanted then so badly.. And now I realize that once they're older they will need a 6ft tank which I hope I will be able to provide for them. I'd hate to see them go but I try to keep the fish's best interest in mind, of course. So I'll add the clowns, and a week or two later I'll go for the smaller schooling fish and so forth from there. I'm excited and hope it all works out because it'll be beautiful! I also really appreciate your help ☺

OP
renee'

renee'

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
One more question.. About the gourami, are the pearls the best ones to go for in this situation? I know there are several variety of color /size variation.. I like the pearls but I feel there are some cuter colors. Lol but if the pearls have the best temperament and whatnot needed for this tank, I'll gladly use them

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
One more question.. About the gourami, are the pearls the best ones to go for in this situation? I know there are several variety of color /size variation.. I like the pearls but I feel there are some cuter colors. Lol but if the pearls have the best temperament and whatnot needed for this tank, I'll gladly use them
Honey gouramis can work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom