90g saltwater/reef tank newbie!

Claire Bear
I have now taken the plunge and the 90 gallon it will be. I have ordered a more expensive light for the tank (should be able to reach the depths of the deeper 90g) and some more items.
-eshopps refugium II/sump for under the tank.
-a hang on back overflow box Eshopps) to plumb for the refugium as my tank is not drilled-hope this works as well as it appeared to in the ad
-another set of powerheads
-a submersible pump for the sump/refugium
-saltwater test kits per ryanr suggested brands
-additional sand and rock
-the 8g water container for RO per ryanr and I wonder if for just topping off if I will need two of these or not?
-trash can for salt water and a circulation pump to keep it stirred up (already have an extra heater)
I actually ordered two different RO/DI systems and will need to send one back or just hang on to it? The second one is larger since my tank is so much bigger!

I have decided to shoot for the moon and do reef already but build my stock VERY slowly.

My grandson wants "nemo" and I want an anemone. My husband wants some coral and I want some invertebrates but not sure what?
Any other stocking help is much appreciated as I am simply feeling overwhelmed at this point but truly excited!

ryanr
Bigger is always better

Eshopps make good gear, you should be pretty happy.

8G for RODI top off should be fine - my estimation, you'll probably lose about 1/2G per day, maybe closer to 1G - depends on your environment (humidity) - thus 8G should be a week's supply. Of course, you can always top-up mid week if you need to

Can you post a consolidated list of what you now have? I've got a quick checklist here:

1971roadrunner
Great job so far Claire, look forward to hear how it all comes together. If I may make a suggestion it's that Saltwater takes even more patients across the board on every level than FW. Take your time and think everything through. With Saltwater there are not only so many more stocking choices but so many different ways to maintain your system. I for one want to eventually have a strictly natural system run with a skimmer and algae primarily with reactors doing a minority or even none of the work. Then again I prefer FOWLR tanks only, (no interest in corals etc..) which gives me more wiggle room. Your getting great advice I see, and give a thumbs up to everything that has been recommended to you so far, ttyl

Claire Bear
ryanr
Here goes:
API saltwater test kit (could not find the cards separately)
Carib Sea Arag. live-special grade reef sand 20lb
Hydor korala circulation and wave pump x2
marineland reef capable led w/timer 2610 lumens
universal pump 1262 900 gph Eheim
reliance 8g
Eshopps hob overflow box & sump/refugium
hanna instruments phosphate
salifert ca/kh/magnesium tests
spectra pure 180 gpd RODI system
aquamax protein skimmer
hydor korala evolution circulation
2x 40lb bahama aragonite sand
key largo rocks 50lb dry
refractometer
cpr in tank refugium
coolworks ice probe and controller
seachem lab reef salt 50g
key largo live rock & aqua cultured live rock
20 lb live sand (additional)
trash can 33g with float (on wheels)
That is about it ryanr

1971roadrunner
Wow, even my accountant just fell off his chair, and it's not even my tank !!!

Claire Bear
Wow, even my accountant just fell off his chair, and it's not even my tank !!!
LOL-I just admitted the hubby to ER-
Seriously wondering what on earth was I thinking!

1971roadrunner
Hey, his life insurance policy just might pay for all of this

* all right fishlorians I take that back, bad road runner!

Claire Bear
LOL 1971roadrunner he is retired so there is no life insurance! I need him to stay healthy to help me pay for this GIANT SPLURGE!!!!!!!!!!!

1971roadrunner
Whether or not you go with reactors or who knows what please put serious consideration into some sort of chaeto algae addition to your tank. I'm currently feeding two mandarin fish who are not only crazy beautiful but very funny to watch, I'm going to get two more when I'm sure that the substantial increase in my pod population continues due to my added chaeto refugium then get two more. You can have an HOB refug or what have you, take a look. I've thought about pluming in a small nano thingy for a coral or two down the road, but who knows? later

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
inveterateaquarist
Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views