90G Community Cichlids Advice

SuperCartman

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 90G and I can use some advice on if I am overly worried about normal cichlid behavior.

I have no problem with the tetras/cories/catfish/rainbows. My problem is with the Cichlids.

I have 4 beautiful Keyholes and 2 Rams all who get along great, they are peaceful and bring character to a community tank. About a month ago I added a Geophagus Tapajos absolutely beautiful fish, the Keyholes and Geo are pretty equal in size.

From the start this a-hole decided the smack middle of the aquarium would be his territory and constantly chased around my Keyholes, pretty much left everyone else alone. Now he is usually just chasing them backing into several hiding spots and rarely actually making physical contact. They are definitely a bit stressed, but I wonder if this is normal for similar cichlids since they are both supposed to be peaceful fish.

I've been too busy to bring him back, but I mean they seem to all get along, some chasing here and there, but it is spread out evenly between the 4 Keyholes. The keyholes fight him for food so can I let this go on?
Plants are coming in so there will soon be even less direct eye line view of each other.

Would you recommend I get more Keyholes or another Geo?
Any advice would be appreciated

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keyhole are super passive for a cichlid and tend to get bullied I would regime the geo and get more keyhole they are one of my favourite cichlids and I miss keeping them. Plants will help but now that your geo has dominance I don’t think it will get better.

myriad1973

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Geos tend to do better in groups, so being that you have a single fish, there are no conspecifics to assert a hierarchy.

Even though you can house a small group of Geos in a 90 gallon, there are already a lot of fish in there and having a group of Geos wouldn’t be feasible unless you pulled most of the others out.

Your best bet is to pull that single Geo and maybe get another pair of Keyholes and bump up your Ram count if they’re Bolivian Rams.... I honestly don’t see any change in behavior with that Geo because it’s not in an ideal setup for itself.

OP
SuperCartman

SuperCartman

Reaction score
Littlebudda said:
Keyhole are super passive for a cichlid and tend to get bullied I would regime the geo and get more keyhole they are one of my favourite cichlids and I miss keeping them. Plants will help but now that your geo has dominance I don’t think it will get better.
They have been my favorite fish since I bought one 12 years ago! They are so underrated and I love em.

I think I will bring back the Geo (this is always hard for me)and add to my Keyhole family!

Thanks for the advice.

myriad1973 said:
Geos tend to do better in groups, so being that you have a single fish, there are no conspecifics to assert a hierarchy.

Even though you can house a small group of Geos in a 90 gallon, there are already a lot of fish in there and having a group of Geos wouldn’t be feasible unless you pulled most of the others out.

Your best bet is to pull that single Geo and maybe get another pair of Keyholes and bump up your Ram count if they’re Bolivian Rams.... I honestly don’t see any change in behavior with that Geo because it’s not in an ideal setup for itself.
Fair enough thank you for the advice, why did I listen to the guy at the petstore...... you think after 15 years of this hobby I would have learned :p (Catching him is going to be something.....)

Any reason I should up the Bolivian Rams, they seem happy in a couple?

myriad1973

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
[QUOTE="SuperCartman, post: 4490945, member:Any reason I should up the Bolivian Rams, they seem happy in a couple?
[/QUOTE]

You don’t have to, but they are a more sociable cichlid, like the keyholes and some others, so it wouldn’t hurt, but it’s not a must.

New Threads