90g Build Ideas Stocking Help

Flyingjunkie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just bought my first major tank. Some might not consider 90g major, but in my 1300 sq. ft. house, it's pretty freaking big lol. Anyways, I'm looking for ideas. My first tank was a 20g stocked with a handful of Fancy Guppies and Platies and included some fake plants and fake structures, but I want to do something more natural this time.

Here's what I'm thinking. Tell me if I'm completely off my rocker, or nudge me in other directions.

I'm thinking of doing sand instead of gravel in this one. I want to do something with either driftwood or slate rock and live plants. I really like angelfish, and I want to do a community tank. I've read up on a lot of fish, but it seems that there are a lot of contradictions out there depending on what you read. I like gouramis, as well as cichlids. I like to see a lot of activity. You know, fish doing fishy things and swimming around. I know angelfish tend to kind of just float, but they're so graceful.

Anyways, lay some ideas on me. I am a blank slate looking for some guidance.

Also, I know little about plants, so some guidance there would help tremendously. I've never had live plants in a tank, so I don't know what species go with what fish, what looks like what, etc.

Feel free to bounce some ideas off me, ask me questions, enlighten me, whatever you feel is necessary. TIA!!!

Fishitryhard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't think you're crazy lol. About the sand, you'll want to be careful and try to get a kind of fish tank burrows or whisks up the sand. Sand is dangerous because of the lack of circulation. The toxins in the water can build up and create dangerous anaerobic dead zones, which can get released into the water and kill your fish. Also angelfish are kind of jerks. They pick on the other fish. I think gouramis would be really cool.

I would consider doing some larger grain sand with fertilizer underneath for your plants. If you are planning on getting a lot of plants, consider getting a co2 injector.

Also, if you like a lot of activity, consider some fancy goldfish! they are always moving around, and when you keep them long enough, they act like little dogs when you walk into the room.

Flyingjunkie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sand is dangerous because of the lack of circulation. The toxins in the water can build up and create dangerous anaerobic dead zones, which can get released into the water and kill your fish.
I've definitely read about that a lot. From what I understand, as long as I run my fingers through the sand during my cleanings, that should help prevent those gas pockets from forming. I usually do my tank cleanings and water changes every Sunday, so that would add just one more little step to make sure that doesn't happen. Let me know if I'm wrong in my understanding of that.

Also angelfish are kind of jerks. They pick on the other fish.
I've heard this, as well. I've seen them in a lot of community tanks, and everything that I've read said that they're sometimes aggressive, but are still considered community fish. That's the kind of contradictions that I'm referring to and why I'm asking for input.

Fishitryhard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree that running your hand through the sand would help, but maybe just in case use something to shift the sand maybe in the middle of the week, not necessarily doing a water change. If you get angelfish, amke sure they are not too big, and try to get community fish that get bigger as well.

Eric S.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For the aquascape, you could potentially do a sand, gravel mix. I have that in a couple of tanks and love the look of the smaller pebbles mixed in with the smaller particulate.
Driftwood and some form of rock will always look good, especially when you have the tank heavily planted. If you are to add live plants be sure that the tank will get enough light.

As for fish, it's really up to what you like best. Gouramis or Cichlids are a good choice as you mentioned. You might even consider getting a breeding pair as it is always interesting to watch their interactions with each other.

Flyingjunkie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For the aquascape, you could potentially do a sand, gravel mix. I have that in a couple of tanks and love the look of the smaller pebbles mixed in with the smaller particulate.
Any chance you could upload a picture of your sand/gravel mix? I'm really intrigued

Driftwood and some form of rock will always look good, especially when you have the tank heavily planted. If you are to add live plants be sure that the tank will get enough light.
It's going to be in my dining room, and subject to some indirect sunlight (I'd hate to get an algal bloom). I'm thinking about getting the Finnex Planted+.

Eric S.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Any chance you could upload a picture of your sand/gravel mix?
Sure, though I added a bit more gravel to my main one, so it's a little less balanced. You can just google sand gravel mix for aquariums to get other ideas. One might use darker gravel and lighter sand to make the colors pop more.

As for the light you mentioned I am not sure if it is good or not, I use mostly natural light for mine. I also would say a large variety of plants will look better than one or two kinds. Maybe even some unique colors (reds, purples, etc).

Attachments

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
I didn’t have much luck with my gourami in the last year. Have non left. I had dwarfs mind you.

I have a 90 gallon. It is set up as a barb tank. I have firemouths I. With them. No issues. Barbs are a lot of fun in a big tank. Have a pair BN plecos in there too.

I have a 120 G, I keep angel fish,sae, Cory cats, Kribs , neons, male guppies, and BN plecos, and male platys

No aggression in any of my tanks.

Schooling barbs are fun to watch if you want a fast moving tank

Flyingjunkie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I've been looking at some fish and need some inputs. Like I'd said earlier, knowing that angels can be ****, I do still want some. Here's some other fish I've been looking at. Let me know which ones you like, what might go well together, and if they would make a decent community together. Also, some of these require foliage, so I'd like some input on plants to look at.

German Blue Ram, Dwarf Gourami, Endler's Livebearer, Cherry Barb, Angelfish, Yoyo Loach, Harlequin Rasbora, and Tiger Barbs.

If you can't tell, I'm trying to go for a colorful and active tank. Let me know which one(s) you might like, which to stay away from, which ones go well, and what some possible tank mates could be.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, I've been looking at some fish and need some inputs. Like I'd said earlier, knowing that angels can be , I do still want some. Here's some other fish I've been looking at. Let me know which ones you like, what might go well together, and if they would make a decent community together. Also, some of these require foliage, so I'd like some input on plants to look at.

German Blue Ram, Dwarf Gourami, Endler's Livebearer, Cherry Barb, Angelfish, Yoyo Loach, Harlequin Rasbora, and Tiger Barbs.

If you can't tell, I'm trying to go for a colorful and active tank. Let me know which one(s) you might like, which to stay away from, which ones go well, and what some possible tank mates could be.
I wouldn’t put any kind of a barb with angels. I’d give male guppies a chance.

As for plants I’d use jungle Val rubren, ozelot swords, ludwigia ripens, and cryptocornes.

Last edited:

Flyingjunkie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I've decided that I'm going to go with a soil-like substrate, planted with dwarf hairgrass, and a few decent sized chunks of dragon stone for my aquascaping. I think I'm going to go with a bunch of either tiger barbs or cardinal tetras, and a handful of plecos, but haven't decided which pleco I want. All I know is that I won't be getting any common plecos. I want a smaller one that will allow me to house about a half dozen of them.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, I've decided that I'm going to go with a soil-like substrate, planted with dwarf hairgrass, and a few decent sized chunks of dragon stone for my aquascaping. I think I'm going to go with a bunch of either tiger barbs or cardinal tetras, and a handful of plecos, but haven't decided which pleco I want. All I know is that I won't be getting any common plecos. I want a smaller one that will allow me to house about a half dozen of them.
BN plecos would be a good choice. A mix of albinos and browns.

There are so many assortments of barbs, an all barb tank would be super cool.

Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 9 37.5%

Top Bottom