90 Gallon Tetra Tank stocking opinion?

magic8

I currently have a 65 Gallon Tank sand substrate 50-60% planted I am going to be upgradeing to either a 75 or 90 gallon soon most likely a 90 gallon so let's say I am going with a 90 gallon I most likely will be running my current cannister and adding a second I currently run 2 circulation pumps which my fish love to swim & play in plus they've done wonders for my tank so any fish I add is going to need to be comfortable with some current my tank sits at a steady 77 degrees and steady 7.2 ph so any fish I add would have to been in this range which is a lot of choices my current fish include

X 8 diamond tetras
X8 mixed platys
X4 Border loaches
X1 albino bn pleco
X1 rubber nose pleco

I know my choices are endless with a tank this side so I'm trying to thing what would look best & mesh well

I've thought of dwarf cichlids apistos/kribs or rams they would most likely do well and be fine with the space they have in this footprint the Kribs or apistos would probably be a better choice only for the fact that rams from what I've read can be a touch less hardy I like keeping hardy fish just in case the water fluctuates slightly
(These could be a nice centerpiece fish)

I've thought of gouramis as well pearls would probably look nice with the diamonds but this tank may be too active for them and stress them out plus with the current I've read gouramis don't care for a lot of water movement

That leaves me to thinking what else can I add tetras with tetras works so what tetra would go good

I've thought about glo tetras or even glo danios not sure if they would look out of place an all glo tank would look nice but how would they look with my current inhabitants they would undoubtedly get along and zip all over the tank together my fear is they would look out of place in this tank

So I'm asking for Any ideas of what would compliment my current fish I know this is all based on opinions but I'm just trying to field some ideas like I said putting glofish in with these guys would work as far as getting along and same water parameters but how would they look so here are a couple that I were looking at that I'm not sure would of would not work under the premise I would be making a full school probably upping my platys & diamonds by a couple

Here are some I've been thinking about

Congo tetra(slightly larger than diamonds)

Red blue columbian(could be aggressive could get slightly larger than diamonds)

Red serpae (known fin nippers but they could be ok with my current stock)

Buenes ares tetra ( may be bit too aggressive not sure slightly larger than diamonds & possibility they would eat my plants)

All these I know I have to watch aggression but I'll be adding a large school so I'm thinking I should be ok in a tank this size the diamonds are pretty full grown so they are roughly the same size of the fish on this list I'm not too worried about them the platys are a little small

I've thought about danios but other than glo danios nothing really grabs at me

I've had both tigers & ruby barbs previously so I can go down this road again when my tigers dwindled for unknown reasons they were the only fish I were losing maybe stress from being too confined I'm not really sure but when they dwindled I brought the few to my LFS and decided to go the platy route with my diamonds and everyone gets along beautifully for all I know the diamonds maybe were stressing the tigers I would have thought it to be the other way around but who knows the tetras could just be a much hardier fish though my water stays pretty steady and I'm on point with my weekly wc's same with the ruby's beautiful fish I just couldn't keep them for some reason they would be good for a bit then I'd lose one here one there never the diamonds though very odd the platys have faired a whole lot better.

I may go down the barb road again I was thinking maybe a nice shoal of Odessa's would look good with the Diamonds similar temperament size and water parameters though slightly larger than diamonds full grown the ph may be a tick high at 7.2 but they im sure would adapt

Another active but peaceful barb would be the gold barb they fit into these water parameters and also slightly bigger than the diamonds full grown they could probably be very happy in a tank this size

So much to think about so many choices it can really make your head spin

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated though the upgrade is planned for after the holidays who knows it may come sooner than later and knowing me I'll probably flip flop back and forth all I know is I want to have a nice active tank with few squabbles and be a nice centerpiece to look at as it's going to be in my main sitting area it's certainly going to be the focal point of the area going up on a cement slab where my wood burning stove sat in front of a beautiful rock wall thus the uncertainty of the 90 sitting up too high on top of the slab and stand looking out of place that's why I was thinking about the 75 I don't think the extra 4" is going to make it look terrible but it will give me an extra 4' I don't have now which is ever so important in the aquaworld

I'll kick back and read hopefully I get some good ideas and opinions I can feed off of

Thanks

A201

Denison Barbs, Filament Barbs & Odessa Barbs would go nicely in a 90 gal. tank. You could mix in Tiger Barbs & add more Loaches.
I currently have Tigers, Filaments & YoYo Loaches growing out in a 65 gal. tank. It makes for an active & pretty tank.
20201028_063142.jpg
20201028_063011.jpg

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

Denison Barbs, Filament Barbs & Odessa Barbs would go nicely in a 90 gal. tank. You could mix in Tiger Barbs & add more Loaches.
I currently have Tigers, Filaments & YoYo Loaches growing out in a 65 gal. tank. It makes for an active & pretty tank.
20201028_063142.jpg
20201028_063011.jpg
What’s the pic of the single fish?

Upvote 0

A201

That is a Dawkinsia Filamentosa Barb. I have 13 of them. They grow to 4 - 6 inches & get more colorful as they mature. The pictured Filament is just a baby, maybe 1.5 inches.

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

That is a Dawkinsia Filamentosa Barb. I have 13 of them. They grow to 4 - 6 inches & get more colorful as they mature. The pictured Filament is just a baby, maybe 1.5 inches.
Beautiful!

Upvote 0

Redshark1

I'd advise ensuring that the temperature ranges of Loaches and Barbs etc. overlap so that you do not compromise one species and shorten its lifespan due to keeping at an unsuitable temperature.

You may have checked this already of course!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

If you want tetras then serpaes would be a good option, which you mentioned. Black neon tetras would be another good choice.

Have you considered a school of a single species of one of the larger rainbowfish, like turquoise or Boesmani?

Upvote 0

magic8

Thanks for your replies the more I think about it I think Odessa's would be an excellent option I've thought about Denison/red-line torpedos would a 4' tank be ok for them as they come from very high flowing streams and love to dart the length of the tank as big as a 90 is it may not be long enough for this type of fish I can be completely wrong about this however!

I have thought about a school of the rainbows i'm trying to keep the fish similar in size though I'm not against putting a larger mild tempered fish in there as a pair I'm just not sure if I want to add a school of larger fish thats why I was thinking of doing a pair of Kribs or Apistos as a centerpiece I did consider keyholes as well.

As far as temps and ph go any barbs I put in there would fall right into the parameters that I have my tank at now

77 degrees with a ph of 7.2 although Odessas prefer a slightly lower ph of 6-7 versus what my tank is not sure if thats going to make much of a difference

i'm not sure i want to go down the tiger road again but I could definetley see some other barbs in there

Odessa'a or Gold barbs

the red serpaes would probably work as you mentioned Jetts

thank-you

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies