90 gallon tank stocking

pelli7358

Reaction score
I have a 90 gallon tank 48 x 18 x 24 arriving on Wednesday. For stock I am planning on ...

1 x Oscar
1 x Blue Acara
5 x Silver Dollars
1 x Featherfin Squeaker

Is this too much? I have lots of biological filtration. Any input would be appreciated.

mikerox29

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would probably be worried with the Oscar in the mix as they do not seem to play well with others

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good luck with that. Your list isn't compatible... The tiger Oscar can only be with fish it's size or bigger because they bully and eat smaller fish. If you like big fish then do an American cichlids tank each of those fish would be around 8"

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Acara is too small to be with an Oscar. Oscars get 1 ft while Acaras get 5 inches. You'd want to keep near same size and aggression with cichlids.

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck with that. Your list isn't compatible... The tiger Oscar can only be with fish it's size or bigger because they bully and eat smaller fish. If you like big fish then do an American cichlids tank each of those fish would be around 8"
This isn't true.
Acara is too small to be with an Oscar. Oscars get 1 ft while Acaras get 5 inches. You'd want to keep near same size and aggression with cichlids.
This is not accurate either.

To the OP, Welcome to the forum

When kept in a big enough tank, Oscars are usually big wimps. They are not aggressive. More territorial than anything. Acara and Oscars have about the same temperament in my experience with them. With that said, it would be hit or miss if they could co-exist in a 90 gallon. If you want to try to keep both of those in a 90, I would not keep anything else with them. The silver dollars and syno would both get into the Oscars territory and it may not like that. Same with the Acara. The ones I have kept can be fine until something comes into it's area of the tank. And to be honest, the Acara could turn on the Oscar just as easy as the Oscar could turn on it.

If you want to keep more than one fish in your 90, I would pick out one medium size cichlid and work around that since it seems like cichlids are what peaks your interest. The acara would be fine. You could have more than just that cichlid if you go that route. But it would be better if you kept other cichlids around the same size as it if you are keeping them in a 90.

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BDpups, sorry for giving inaccurate information. I was researching for this guy and many of them had oscars killing smaller cichlids so I just said that it wouldn't be compatible because I don't want his oscar end up killing other fish...

Edit:
Like Junebug said, that's similar to what I found from researching.

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@pelli7358
You could go with the acara, a convict, and a firemouth for your cichlids. Tiger or Red ruby barbs for a school of fish. Then an African butterfly for an odd ball for the top. A smaller fancy pleco would work too.

Or go with a single oscar and a pleco. An L600 would work for your pleco in a 90. Very colorful pleco.

Or the oscar and a couple of senegal bichirs.

What's your filtration?

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BDpups, sorry for giving inaccurate information. I was researching for this guy and many of them had oscars killing smaller cichlids so I just said that it wouldn't be compatible because I don't want his oscar end up killing other fish...

Edit:
Like Junebug said, that's similar to what I found from researching.
And that is what I said too for the size of tank. But people hear someone wants an Oscar and the first thing people on forums, (especially people on forums who have never actually kept these fish) and the freak out and say the Oscar will eat everything else in the tank. It's just not true. Oscars are honestly not aggressive. They are a medium size cichlid that is all to common and almost always kept in a tank that is way to small to keep it with other fish. They have gotten a bad reputation that they do not deserve. It just kind of gets to me when the misconceptions about them are perpetuated.

Sorry if I came across as rude, which I did.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@pelli7358
You could go with the acara, a convict, and a firemouth for your cichlids. Tiger or Red ruby barbs for a school of fish. Then an African butterfly for an odd ball for the top. A smaller fancy pleco would work too.

Or go with a single oscar and a pleco. An L600 would work for your pleco in a 90. Very colorful pleco.

Or the oscar and a couple of senegal bichirs.

What's your filtration?
Oh yeah, a nice big pleco wouldn't be in the Oscar's way

^ what he said. That's what I'd do. Oscars are awesome. Plecos are awesome. Just overfilter and don't skimp on maintenance.

pelli7358

Reaction score
Oh yeah, a nice big pleco wouldn't be in the Oscar's way

^ what he said. That's what I'd do. Oscars are awesome. Plecos are awesome. Just overfilter and don't skimp on maintenance.
I agree there are some awsome plecos
I really like the green phantoms

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom