90 Gallon Swordtail Pond

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have a 90 gallon pond in my backyard, and I was wondering if I could use it as like kind of a swordtail breeding pond. I will be installing a 650 gph pump along with a bunch of filter media as the filtration. It has been getting up into the mid 90's but only goes down to around 65-70. They would have a lot of shade and floating plants for cover. It would start off with 16 swordtails (because that's what I have in my tank) and they're kind of annoying because they nonstop breed. How many swordtails/fry could I keep in the pond?

Or how would 16 swordtails, 3 Guppies, and 3 Mollies work? With them all breeding and everything?

SwishyFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
They may cross breed, but 90 gallons is big enough for them. I would recommend getting a heater to keep the temperature stable since constant changes in temperature stress the fish. I would put a centerpiece fish/ something that can keep the fry population down. Maybe an angelfish since they can only eat the small adults and fry.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SwishyFishy said:
They may cross breed, but 90 gallons is big enough for them. I would recommend getting a heater to keep the temperature stable since constant changes in temperature stress the fish. I would put a centerpiece fish/ something that can keep the fry population down. Maybe an angelfish since they can only eat the small adults and fry.
The thing with bigger fish, is that the tank covers a lot of surface area, but it’s not very tall. It’s only 8 inches tall.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cross bred fish would be infertile. Do you have a plan for keeping predators out of the pond? That set up sounds like a raccoon buffet! Neat idea. I might look to YouTube or the pond sub forum for more ideas & suggestions.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For a centerpiece fish could I do a kissing gourami? I have a kissing gourami inside in a tank, and I was wondering if I could put her out in the pond. 90 gallons, 1 Kissing gourami, 16 Swordtails, 3 Mollies, and 3 Guppys. I'll put a 200 watt heater in it, but I don't think it will need it, as now the lowest temp this week is only going to be 74. And I was wondering, could I keep the fish out there all year round? The lowest it got last year was 20-23. I could have the heater going, have a heat lamp during the day, and wrap the whole pond in plastic? @TexasDomer @SwishyFishy

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SwishyFishy said:
Technical a crossbreed between guppy and molly would be possible but only if the opposite gender of both species are not available in the same tank. Otherwise, a crossbreed will not happen. The genitals of mollies and guppies are compatible, so that makes it possible to interbreed with eachother. But these two species crossbreeding with swordtails in a natural way ain't possible. For the genitals of xiphophorus strains are not compatible with guppies nor mollies. Only artificial fertilization in that case is possible.
When it comes to the margin of temperatures, they do have some tolerance. I'm keeping livebearers outdoors during spring, summer and partially fall for many years now. And no heaters involved and neither mechanical filtration. All natural... works every single year. In free nature, these fish do withstand temperatures changes every single day as well (day/night). Domestic strains can be accustomed to the same conditions "in time"...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom