90 Gallon Saltwater Journal

Discussion in 'Rbacchiega' started by Rbacchiega, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Rbacchiega

RbacchiegaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Tank Specifics:

- 90 Gallon Tank with built in overflow (48" long X 18" deep X 24" tall)
    - Glass top
    - 48" Metal Halide System, Total of 760 Watts of light
    - Two 250 Watt DE HQI
    - Four 65 Watt Compact Flourescent
    - 6 Dual LCD Blue Moon light lamps
    - Koralia3 Powerhead
    - 33 Gallon Sump/Fuge system
    - Corallife Super Skimmer 125
    - Quietone 5000 Return Pump (at 3.5 feet of head almost 1150 gph)
    - 10" wide by 12" deep Fuge, eventual home to Ulva Sp. Sea Lettuce
    as well as some extra live rock
    - 20 Watt Compact Flourescent Light for over the Fuge (don't have yet)

Here's the tank without any water, as I don't plan on adding that until we get back from Mexico:

Me next to the tank for size comparison, maaaaaaaan I'm the pastiest Italian I've ever seen!:

The Powerhead:
    Incase you were wondering, the output nozzle is split so that the water will flow both down and accross the back of the tank and to the front right side of the tank. The powerhead will cover the rest of the "motion of the ocean" (I couldn't resist)

2. Wolfgang8810

Wolfgang8810Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    looks great!!!!!

3. Gozer_1

Gozer_1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds like you need to hury up and get back from Mexico so we can see that baby filled. Looks like work lol. Gonna be great.

4. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Leave on Wednesday (SOOOOOOOOO anxious)
    Won't land back here in Calgary until January 30 wooo hoooo! Gone for just over a month, I better look at least HALF italian after that much sun

5. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Today I got home and picked up another Koralia 3 power head (can't have too much water flow, can you) and a sponge type thinger for the overflow. Like I mentioned in another post somewhere, I redid the sump so that the water will flow directly into the chamber that will now house the skimmer, then into a fuge, then through the spots to get rid of micro bubbles, and then to the water return chamber...

Still need,
    -125-150 lbs sand (3 inch bed)
    -100-125 lbs (or more) live rock
    - livestock!

6. Gozer_1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds like we're in the same boat sump wise. I just finished the basic design of my sump and am working on the whole bubble thing. Can't wait to see this thing setup. When are you going to start filling?

7. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Well we actually just sold our house and are moving in less than two months, so no water until then, but I'm thinking of just picking up some different sized boxes (or something like that) and mini scaping the tank so that there are areas of high light/low light and high flow low flow to accomidate all the corals I want....mainly the fox coral (thanks to you lol) I want it to hopefully find a place where I can see it all the time, fingers crossed it's not in the back LOL

8. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Finally figured out how much water rotation I'll be getting running two Koralia 3s with a Quietone 5000.....33X the Tank's volume...which is around 3000 gallons an hour of movement, which is always nice.

Also figured out how I"m going to set up the live rock to utilize the most space possible without looking too overcrowded.... put it this way, plenty of overhangs and tunnels, which should allow for some areas of lower flow and lower light intensity for the Fox coral and any others that might need it.

I've finally decided that I"m going to go with a shallow bed of sand, about 2 inches, because frankly, it's pretty

All that's left to get for the tank is/are:
    - Timer (with three different settings, for dawn/dusk, daylight, and night)
    - Salt Mix
    - Sand (125 lbs)
    - Live Rock (135 lbs)
    - Algae Scraper
    - Thermometer
    - Hydrometer
    - 3x 5 gallon buckets
    - Livestock

Quarantine Tank
    - 20 Gallon tank (was going to go with 10, but the more water the better!)
    - Filter
    - Heater
    - Thermometer
    - Powerhead

So still quite a bit to do, but I'd rather take my time on this than rush it and end up paying for it in the end (in more ways than one!)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  9. Gozer_1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'd go with 1 inch of sand. The way I see it is you really have 2 options with sand. Deep or thin. If you plan for all the stuff to maintain deep sand (4in+) then it can be very beneficial but getting it all together can be a pain. I started with 2 inches and ended up taking it down to 1 because 2 inches is just enough sand to need stirred a lot but not enough to really help your tank. With 1 inch of sand mine stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean. I'll probably take out more. If you are planning sand for the looks then stick to a thin layer. You'll thank me in the long run lol. It's surprising how funky the sand can get in a hurry.

Oh yeah and with the buckets, I suggest a 20 gal or so plastic tote or trash can for mixing water. That way you only need one bucket for old water. I just picked up two 18 Gal totes at Home Depot for $3.99 each. I just set it next to the tank, fill it up, and let it mix. I stick a MagDrive pump in and pump the water right in to the display. Easily done with any pump or powerhead (except Koralias andsimilar) and some extra tubing. Your back will thank you for that.

Anyway just some suggestions to make it easier.

10. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the suggestions Gozer... I know I want the sand for not just the looks, but the full tank experience so to speak, so looks like I'll be forking out even more money so thaty I get 4 inches...thaaaaaaaaaanks LOL

And two buckets for the water changes/Mixing and then I want one smaller bucket for the drip acclimating.

11. Gozer_1

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Just make sure you have A LOT of stirring creatures. I have snails that dig around but they didn't go deep enough with 2 inches. I found a peanut worm when I switched tanks. I've noticed it does a good job digging around the lower levels of sand. Also, I recently started listening to a Podcast (Reefcast) and one of the early episodes talked about deep sand. Having a good current across the surface of the sand actually draws water through the sand. It will help slowly turn your sand bed over as the current flows up through the sand. I'm thinking about a Koralia type powerhead to put low in my tank. I'm just unsure if I can manage it without disturbing the fox coral. Another creature that can be VERY beneficial to your sand bed but also VERY controversial is bristle worms. Some will call them pests and some will call them a gift. I saw one once in my tank but I'm pretty sure my shrimp ate it. They are great for deep sand and can be a very beneficial part of a fantastic clean up crew. They just happen to sting and have very bad relatives. Fortunately the bad fireworms are bright red. As long as you have some control they won't get out of hand. Like a Coral Banded Shrimp. I read they will eat them and I'm pretty sure mine ate the one I saw. Adding something like this really means you should wear gloves lol. A habit I need to practice more often :rolleyes: I'm thinking about trying to add some to mine.

Wow, anyway, sand bed 101 lol Guess thats what I get for posting at 2am. lol Better shut this thing off or I'll never quit blabbing. ;)

12. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the tips! I'm definately hopeing to get some brittle stars, maybe 2 or 3, just enough to move the sand around and do their job. Also, with the addition of the second Koralia, I've got it so the water flow around the fron is sort of like a sideways tornado so to speak, and I'm thinking of buying even two less expensive power heads (say, aqua clears or something) and placing them behind the live rock with a minimal current, so that it shoots the detrus off the rocks....it's something I've been tossing in the air for a while, so we'll see

13. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Odered the following online and through work:
    2 130 gallon mix buckets of Seachem Reef salt
    2 8 outlet timers
    Filter, heater and powerhead for quarantine tank

They should be in within a week or so. the house deal fell through, so I'm starting set up asap!

14. Wolfgang8810

Ratings:
    +1
    sucks about the house but hey set er up :)

15. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    To be honest, I'm glad the house didn't sell quite yet. There's things here that I need to finish up and it's alot easier to do it while in the city instead of in the country. Where we'd be moving to has a TOTAL population of 442.

16. Wolfgang8810

Ratings:
    +1
    wow out in the boonies lol

17. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    FINALLY!!!

Okay, so here's the plan. After thinking lots about it and talking with some other people, I've got it figured out....not changing my mind!!!! LOL

Today I'll be picking up the salt mix as well as about 40lbs of live indonesian rock (it's super porous, so bigger pieces will weigh less, more room for bacteria etc etc) and set up the tank today. Then, on Friday I'll pick up some more live rock, and *possibly* 120 lbs of sand. I figure it'd be easier to add sand than get rid of it... and 120lbs should give me about an inch of sand on the bottom. Then, we let the cycling begin.

Until readings prove otherwise, the only chemicals innitially used will be Prime...and..Prime. Once I can figure out where the reef salt will put my other parameters, that will determine what other additives I'll want to get. I know that I'll still probably buy reef buffer and builder, as well as reef trace (all by seachem) and we'll go from there...I'll probably in the long run (once I start adding corals) will have to pick up some Strontium as well, but I'm figuring about a month to cycle through, and then we'll go from there.

Pictures later today!!!!

18. Wolfgang8810

Ratings:
    +1
    Hooray! Im starting a 70 gallon fowlr (for now reef later) over the summer the lights will have to wait since ill need to pick up a chiller. it gets hot here in Florida. but i cannot wait to see your setup :) are you mixing your own water? i know i will be with my 75 gallon (bah i need to get an RO unit now too ). My cycle in my 24 gallon was complete in 8 days. I saw the ammonia spike then the nitrite and finally nitrate but i diddnt start adding until the diatoms went away which took about a month. Good luck hope you have a strong back lol.

Mark

19. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    Yep, mixing my own, I bought 125 gallons of ro bottled water because my ro unit STILL hasn't come in yet, and even then, it only outputs 20 gallons a day. I was going to go with 60 a day, but really, what would I do with 420 gallons a week LOL Reef salt says on the bucket that it'd keep the parameters where you'll need em for a succesful reef, but I want to double check. Right now there is only 15 lbs of live rock (all they had left) and it was pretty much cured, so I'm not sure how much of a cycle will start (I'll add a piece of shrimp in the am to get it going just to be safe) and then at the end of the month the LFS will have in the 100lbs I ordered today. It sucks having an empty tank though LOL the sooner this tank cycles, the better.

oh, and I've settled on a bare bottom tank, and ordered a Koralia 4, which moves 1200 gallons per hour. Which means with the 3 powerheads, and the return pump, I'll be moving 44x the tank volume. Perfect for the sps and lps! wooooo!

20. OP
    OP
    Rbacchiega

Ratings:
    +2
    First bit of water through the return....

About 1/3 full

Not much you can do with only 4 hunks of rock....

Full and with Metal Halides on...

Become a Fishlore Member