90 gallon salt water supplies are pouring in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I received a call today from my husband. Seems everything is arriving quickly. There were 7 pacakages waiting for me today. However, before we set up the tank, we have decided to use porcelain tile in the living room. This means Rich will have to lay that tile this week so that when everything arrives, probably at this rate by the weekend, we can start the cycle with the live sand, live rock and all the other goodies!
Here are some picks of what came today, UPS and Fed ex showed up at the same time and USPS also delivered the live sand.
90g tank supplies 1.jpg90 gallon tank supplies 2.jpg90g tank supplies 3.jpg90 gallon tank supplies 4.jpg90 gallon tank supplies 5.jpg
It is a bit overwhelming and I am getting more excited and more nervous!

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know how you aren't tiling as we speak. All the pieces just look so tempting. I'm sorry job, I think I'm coming down with the flu. I'll be back in a week or two.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice! Once you get it all ready to start setting up, you should make a build thread detailing your setup progress here: A lot of people like living vicariously.

OP
Claire Bear

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
reef light.jpgmore tank equipment.jpg
Darn, on my way out the door so no time to check off what came last night-and where were our guard dogs!

VWTDI02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once you get some time I would love to hear a list of what you guys have going into this build. There are just so many boxes compared to when I set up my tank (granted it was a freshwater tank that was half the size). Oh, and the dimensions of the tank!!

allathlete5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So exciting!! i love getting presents from UPS and fedex on my porch for my MTS haha.... Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this set up!

OP
Claire Bear

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once you get some time I would love to hear a list of what you guys have going into this build. There are just so many boxes compared to when I set up my tank (granted it was a freshwater tank that was half the size). Oh, and the dimensions of the tank!!
My thread 90g reef tank has all-or almost all items listed VWTDI02! And no problem, I can do that!
Thanks and I cant wait, sheilashoelady

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Claire Bear

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh man, a delay! Even though the tile shop said they would have plenty, they are having to order so it won't even ship till next Monday-means my son and husband cant lay till the next weekend!
Looks like this build is going to be slow going! Mike will my live sand be okay and my live rock?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like this build is going to be slow going! Mike will my live sand be okay and my live rock?
I see dry rock above, that'll be fine.
The Bahama sand will be fine. Your CaibSea Arag-Alive should be fine to leave in the bag, it does have a decent shelf life; just check the package for an 'expiry' date.

Have you got Live Sand and Rock alread?
It would have been better to wait until the tank was setup before ordering, but it's done now.
If it were me, I'd be mixing up some SW in your trash can, and letting the rock and sand stay submerged.

In theory, as long as you keep the rock and sand damp, you should be reasonably ok, though some of the hitch-hikers might drop off due to lack of water (a good thing if you've got any mantis shrimp hiding in there )

EDIT: Here's all the equipment so far: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/saltwater-beginners/169034-90g-saltwater-reef-tank-newbie.html#post1791341

OP
Claire Bear

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ryanr, the live rock has not yet arrived but was ordered a few days later (when deciding to go with the larger tank) anyway, about same time-live sand came yesterday. I will set up the trash can. Thanks!

OP
Claire Bear

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry about the delay. What kind of fish are going in this epic tank? (Just curious )
I have no idea but my grandson wants nemo and dora! That, is of course one of the reasons that I am branching into saltwater and I love the anemones and tree coral and polyps and ...

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to burst a bubble, but don't mix Nemo and Dory! There's so many hit 'n' miss stories out there when mixing the Pacific Blue Tang with smaller fish. Despite what Pixar would have us believe, tangs and clowns often don't mix well. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. [Just a caution - do your research first]

Don't forget when you mix your bucket of SW, put a powerhead in there to keep the water moving, around the rock, and ideally a heater. (Gives you a good chance to calibrate the heater too )

For the sand, it might be worth putting it in buckets, then fill with water - otherwise you might find it very difficult to get the sand into the tank when the time comes. Oh, and that reminds - always put your base layer of rock in the tank BEFORE the sand. This keeps the rock as low as it can go (on the glass), and helps prevent an avalanche if you have sand burrowing species.

OP
Claire Bear

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ryanr, yes, I had read that it was hit and miss on Dora and Nemo! However, I have been searching on line and on video and found-what I think may be a plausible exception, plenty of fish/reef/area. According to one aquarist (at least one that was shooting a video of his tank as a promo for a site and had the same tank for 15 years) it all depends on feeding schedule, room to roam, hiding spaces, and experience.
Given that I lack experience, I will probably get some nemos and hope that works to appease the three year old!
Thanks ryanr, I had read on here in the book (I think) that there should be a pump placed in the trashcan to keep the mix, mixed.
Last question, I used egg crate in a freshwater build for my cichlid but ended up removing them as I didn't like the detritus getting in the layer. Should salt water have something under that rock? It feels much lighter and I am thinking not-your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom