90 gallon reef in progress.

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Im getting a 90 gallon reef tank setup in the next few weeks so i thought i would do a tank chronicle for all you fish heads :)

preliminary pics.
41.jpg

43.jpg

I told you i would get there Gozer lol

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishheads..us? LOL ...we arent that addicted are we? great looking setup!

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I can't wait to see it as you get it set up. I have always wanted to try saltwater. You picked a nice tank

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
saltwater is nt really as hard as it is made out to be. I say you try. Just go really slow.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice looking tank. I'm working my way up to saltwater. It will probably be a couple of years, unless I manage to sell a novel .

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I may try a nano reef to start out with when I get the money. I don't have room for another big tank in my apt. Yours is gonna be gorgeous though. I'll be sure to seek advice from everyone here when I do decide to take the plunge into saltwater though

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the info wolfgang. I'll definetly look into those

sirdarksol, are you a writer?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, though I've not had anything published yet. Have submitted a few things, entered a few contests, and am working on my writing degree right now.

ThisGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey could you do me a favor, could you post how much you spent on the tank setup as your doing it, just list it as you buy it tank, live rock, protein skimmer... I would like to try salty but i still have much to learn and there is the costs involved in a reef setup...

thanks

fish head

Nags1965

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nice tank. One of these days i will give SW a try. But not till I fully understand how it all works.

How much does a tank that size, all set up and stocked, weigh? With my luck I would get it all set up and it would fall though the floor during the middle of the night LOL.

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ThisGuy said:
Hey could you do me a favor, could you post how much you spent on the tank setup as your doing it, just list it as you buy it tank, live rock, protein skimmer... I would like to try salty but i still have much to learn and there is the costs involved in a reef setup...

thanks

fish head
oak cabinet 259.99
oak canopy 159.99
90 gal corner flow predrilled tank 379.99
outer orbit pro series 729 watts 799.99
Bio 125 sump filter 179.99
quiet one 4000 pump 89.99
100lbs LS 119.99
90lbs LR 314.10
90 gal premixed SW 135.00

ill be moving thng around to get it down to around 1500 though

Nags1965 said:
Nice tank. One of these days i will give SW a try. But not till I fully understand how it all works.

How much does a tank that size, all set up and stocked, weigh? With my luck I would get it all set up and it would fall though the floor during the middle of the night LOL.
it would weight somewhere in the 1200lb range i think

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For others who are looking into this, some ways to lower the cost:
You could cut costs by making your own cabinet, canopy, and lighting. The first two require decent carpentry skills and the last requires the ability to follow directions (or knowledge of wiring)
You can get an un-drilled 90g for about a quarter of that price, and then use a HOB overflow to feed the sump (I think).
You can cut the cost of the live rock and live sand if you're willing to spend extra time on setting your tank up. Set your tank up with a porous rock and some sand, and then seed the entire thing with a bit of live rock and sand (the more the better).
Of course, you can cut the cost of the pre-mixed salt water easily.
The way that Wolfgang is doing it is keyed for ease of setup and the widest margin of error (a good way to go if you can afford it). The more corners you cut, the more chance that you make some kind of mistake that costs you your livestock or your tank. The more work you put into the cheaper route, the bigger a chance of success. Basically, you're trading your own time to save the money.

Wolfgang8810

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is the list that the LFS gave me on a package. Today i found a used 90 gallon including stand, tank, lights, sump, skimmer, pumps, and uv sterralizer for $850 That is the route ill be taking. As for the LR im going to buy 60 lbs of baserock (dead) and seed it with 30 lbs of Live rock. I hear you SDS the it can be cheeper but my faterh just recently had 14 hernias repaired and i need a hip replacement so lifting isnt really an option for us. also when you said, "keyed for ease of setup and the widest margin of error." dont you mean least chance of goofing up?

Oil_Fan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are definitely ways to cut costs in setting up a SW tank. I initially spent about $1500 for my 65 gallon tank with a sump. That included the water, about 25 lbs of LR, another 15 lbs of base rock (which will eventually turn into LR), 2 bags of LS, heater and other basics.

I then slowly added some fish, inverts, more fish to replace the ones I lost in the cool down of Atlanta back in January. Added a skimmer. Added another heater so it could keep up on cold nights. Setup a quarantine tank. More LR.

That all probably brought me up to $2500 including fish, inverts and such. Even then I could have spent far less.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wolfgang8810 said:
also when you said, "keyed for ease of setup and the widest margin of error." dont you mean least chance of goofing up?
Yes. I was just trying to put it nicely, as nobody wants to think about goofing up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom