90 Gallon Reef Build

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just upgraded to a 90 gallon!

Currently I have a 28g JBJ biocube that has been running for about 2 years now, maybe a little less. It is stocked with an ocellaris clown, royal gramma, and YWG. Also has a coral banded shrimp and about 8 various corals. Corals aren’t my expertise but my family and I have learned a lot along the way and now have a decently sized trumpet and hammer.

We made just about every mistake in the book but I’m proud of how far the little cube has come. I’m super excited to expand my saltwater knowledge with this huge upgrade!

4DA430F2-B523-4278-8000-7A2122CCA104.jpeg
0E78A6A3-00BE-4F36-8422-3FCBA6E90161.jpeg

E28D8884-091B-45C1-8401-81CCD0398877.jpeg
EDD818A4-C770-4D95-9061-555E8B515FF7.jpeg

The tank came yesterday, here’s how it looks so far. We had a company do the install so I’m still figuring everything out. I’ve never had larger than a 30 gallon Freshwater or Saltwater tank so this 90 is insane.

Everything from the nano will eventually be moved over including rock.

I’ll try to document our progress here and you guys can give me some advice! What fish should we get? So many possibilities!

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You want a reef tank I presume? I always loved gobies and a pistol shrimp. Some will pair up and it’s a blast to watch.
Hawk fish are cool
Cardinal bangaii are very neat
If you get more rock and let the life grow you could get a mandarin fish. Love them.
There are some smaller ranges available too.
A lot of it is what you like.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, a reef tank is the goal. My dad is a coral guy so nippers are a big no.

The plan for stocking is to have one or two bigger centerpieces with a lot of smaller, active fish.

Maybe a yellow tang and/or white-tailed bristletooth tang as the centerpiece to make the tank pop. Yellow tangs are my absolute favorite but I've heard they can be jerks :( so maybe sticking with just the bristletooth is a better option. But we're open to any suggestions on centerpieces as long as they aren't too pricey.

For smaller fish I'd love to try out some anthias. I think they are gorgeous, especially the red saddled ones. Also some pretty wrasses of course

I'm also a huge goby fan! Love watching them sift around in the sand. I think a 90 is big enough to get a few more in addition to my watchman, right? Will they still pair with pistols if there are multiple species of goby in the tank?
Hawkfish are great, I especially love the longnoses. But I've never tried one because I read that they can eat small inverts and fish
I love bangaiis but we haven't had much luck with them. Went through about 3 or 4 in the cube, some didn't even make it through QT.
The downside to upgrading is now we have to wait even longer before getting a mandarin! I was just about to consider one for the cube, but now we have to wait for the 90 to become more established.

Here's a stock I made. Thoughts? Don't want to get too ahead of myself but it's hard to hold back sometimes :D
1x yellow tang and/or 1x white-tailed bristletooth tang
2x ocellaris clownfish (1 in cube already)
1x royal gramma (in cube already)
1x firefish
1x yellow watchman goby (in cube already)
1x court jester goby
1x red saddled anthias
1x princess anthias
1x midas blenny

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
penguin02 said:
Yes, a reef tank is the goal. My dad is a coral guy so nippers are a big no.

The plan for stocking is to have one or two bigger centerpieces with a lot of smaller, active fish.

Maybe a yellow tang and/or white-tailed bristletooth tang as the centerpiece to make the tank pop. Yellow tangs are my absolute favorite but I've heard they can be jerks :( so maybe sticking with just the bristletooth is a better option. But we're open to any suggestions on centerpieces as long as they aren't too pricey.

For smaller fish I'd love to try out some anthias. I think they are gorgeous, especially the red saddled ones. Also some pretty wrasses of course

I'm also a huge goby fan! Love watching them sift around in the sand. I think a 90 is big enough to get a few more in addition to my watchman, right? Will they still pair with pistols if there are multiple species of goby in the tank?
Hawkfish are great, I especially love the longnoses. But I've never tried one because I read that they can eat small inverts and fish
I love bangaiis but we haven't had much luck with them. Went through about 3 or 4 in the cube, some didn't even make it through QT.
The downside to upgrading is now we have to wait even longer before getting a mandarin! I was just about to consider one for the cube, but now we have to wait for the 90 to become more established.

Here's a stock I made. Thoughts? Don't want to get too ahead of myself but it's hard to hold back sometimes :D
1x yellow tang and/or 1x white-tailed bristletooth tang
2x ocellaris clownfish (1 in cube already)
1x royal gramma (in cube already)
1x firefish
1x yellow watchman goby (in cube already)
1x court jester goby
1x red saddled anthias
1x princess anthias
1x midas blenny
No red flags there.
Yes they goby and pistol shrimp should still pair up. Just make sure you get a shrimp goby, the YWG is but none others are on your list so you should be good.

Bangaii cardinals are fairly easy if you can get some tank raised ones. That’s a shame you’ve had bad luck with them.

Mandarins need a large tank so good thing you didn’t get one for the cube.
A yellow tang should be fine in a 90 gallon tank. They don’t get along with gangs of similar body shapes.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Picked up a few clowns for QT

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
penguin02 said:
Picked up a few clowns for QT
Nice looking perculas. Fish jail. I always felt so bad doing that.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Woke up to a dead six line wrasse in the 10 gallon QT. I can't keep those things alive :( Time to bleach the quarantine and try something else.

The clowns in the 26g QT seem healthy. The water was a little chilly last night but only for a few hours

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
penguin02 said:
Woke up to a dead six line wrasse in the 10 gallon QT. I can't keep those things alive :( Time to bleach the quarantine and try something else.

The clowns in the 26g QT seem healthy. The water was a little chilly last night but only for a few hours
10 gallon is very small for a 6 lined wrasse. Probably stress killed him. They are very hardy and the 2-3 I had lasted me the 15 years I had a reef tank.
Why was the water a little chilly last night for a few hours. The heater should keep the temp stable. Fluctuations can kill fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom